Good luck to those taking the SHSAT tmrw

YankeesPwnMets

Don't know if anyone who has kids or actually is going to take the test tmrw, but for those of you who do, good luck to you all. I took the test so long ago.. I remember being incredibly paranoid about the test, but it ended up not being too difficult of a test for me. Sure, I didn't get into Stuyvesant, which I wanted, but I did go to Bronx Science, and I absolutely loved my 4 years there. Remember, it isn't the end of the world if you don't get into the school you wanted... being rejected from Stuy was a big disappointment for me, however ending up at Bx Sci became a blessing in disguise.

For those of you who know kids or are taking the test tmrw, don't go crazy over it. Get good sleep, tell yourself you can do it and be confident in yourselves. Remember all that you have learned all these years. Eat a good breakfast tmrw, take the test and when you're done, take a deep breath. It's over with. All these years of prep have finally paid off. I hope all of you get into the schools you hope for. I have friends with kids who are taking the test tmrw, and I want to wish any test taker tmrw good luck.

I still remember what my proctor said even after all these years:

"Taking the test isn't the hard part. Waiting for the results is the hardest part."

Today's session was pushed back to November 18th because of the impending Hurricane. 3 weeks more to cram?

I prepared pretty poorly and got a paltry 514, which was the highest grade in my middle school [only 3 people passed iirc, a lot of people scored in the 300s and 400s :wacko:] but my high school now is full of 600s and beyond so it's nothing to brag about. One girl mentioned getting into Stuyvesant but getting placed in my current school because of a lack of girls (there's 2 boys for 1 girl). The school is a lot closer to her place than Stuyvesant, but there must be more to the story than that. Either way, there's some stiff competition here at my school, and I don't regret where I am now. The cutoff for Stuyvesant must be sky-high anyway.

Today's session was pushed back to November 18th because of the impending Hurricane. 3 weeks more to cram?

I prepared pretty poorly and got a paltry 514, which was the highest grade in my middle school [only 3 people passed iirc, a lot of people scored in the 300s and 400s :wacko:] but my high school now is full of 600s and beyond so it's nothing to brag about. One girl mentioned getting into Stuyvesant but getting placed in my current school because of a lack of girls (there's 2 boys for 1 girl). The school is a lot closer to her place than Stuyvesant, but there must be more to the story than that. Either way, there's some stiff competition here at my school, and I don't regret where I am now. The cutoff for Stuyvesant must be sky-high anyway.

I don't think it's that high. I got a 572 (and the only practice was one practice booklet), and I could've gone to Stuyvesant. You probably barely missed it.

I got a 470 the first time I took in 8th Grade, then a 390 in 9th Grade. I didn't get into the schools I wanted (BTHS and American Studies), but I ended up in a wild ride nonetheless - first at a small school 2 blocks south of the WTC and fianlly wound up here at Forest Hills High School. My little brother took the test this past Saturday, and applied for BTHS, but he didn't study...

Anyhow, I have no regrets. I'm happy where I am now, and I'm getting ready to apply to college next year, so yeah.

The cut off for Stuy is usually above the 600's around the 650's +.

Archived