Academy now operating DC commuter services?

Orion VII 4 Life

Have a look at this:

http://www.academybus.com/getattachment/0c4715fd-1cfd-4e46-9e62-1d7a1be6b851/Culpeper-Warrenton-to-Washington,-DC.aspx

It appears Academy is now operating a commuter service down in DC. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they sent down NJ state-owned MCIs, after all it's not like NJT goes after them for using those buses where they shouldn't be used.

Have a look at this:

http://www.academybu...ington,-DC.aspx

It appears Academy is now operating a commuter service down in DC. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they sent down NJ state-owned MCIs, after all it's not like NJT goes after them for using those buses where they shouldn't be used.

They would not send NJT MCI's down there. What is with you always hating on Academy?

They would not send NJT MCI's down there. What is with you always hating on Academy?

They use state-owned MCIs on charter operations all the time (which they REALLY aren't supposed to be used on). While they do run J4500s all the time on their commuter runs up here, I can definitely see NJT MCIs being sent down there. It's a commuter operation that I'm sure they wouldn't want to be 100% J4500 when those can be used on charter operations ($$$), if not the NJT buses then their 102s could be down there but the NJT buses are true commuter coaches. We already know Academy shouldn't be trusted with those buses, if they can show up on a charter operation they can definitely show up on a commuter service in DC. Remember, the owner of Academy is on the NJT board, so it's very likely NJT knows about what they're doing but doesn't go after them for it, though I don't see them going after Coach USA for doing the same thing.

What really pisses me off is that NJT ordered 2 D4500CTs the other year with federal funds (those buses have TIGER stickers) and both of them went ONLY to Academy. They seem to be built like luxury motorcoaches, with frameless windows and all (haven't seen the inside though), so it seems to me like those buses were given to Academy for the purpose of charter operations, and I'm pretty sure I've seen one of them on the IKEA Elizabeth weekend shuttle (charter). Now IDK about NJT, but if the feds knew about that there'd probably be a shitstorm and I don't think Academy would have any more state buses in their fleet nor would they be operating any NJT services.

Like I've said before, I don't care if they use a few state buses occasionally on charter runs, as long as it doesn't affect the services those buses were given to them for, but Academy frequently takes out numerous state buses for charter runs including NABIs and Nova RTSs, which are operated UNDER CONTRACT to NJT. And believe me I'd have a problem with any company using large amounts state buses for charters, Academy, CUSA, Lakeland, DeCamp, whoever.

They use state-owned MCIs on charter operations all the time (which they REALLY aren't supposed to be used on). While they do run J4500s all the time on their commuter runs up here, I can definitely see NJT MCIs being sent down there. It's a commuter operation that I'm sure they wouldn't want to be 100% J4500 when those can be used on charter operations ($$$), if not the NJT buses then their 102s could be down there but the NJT buses are true commuter coaches. We already know Academy shouldn't be trusted with those buses, if they can show up on a charter operation they can definitely show up on a commuter service in DC. Remember, the owner of Academy is on the NJT board, so it's very likely NJT knows about what they're doing but doesn't go after them for it, though I don't see them going after Coach USA for doing the same thing.

What really pisses me off is that NJT ordered 2 D4500CTs the other year with federal funds (those buses have TIGER stickers) and both of them went ONLY to Academy. They seem to be built like luxury motorcoaches, with frameless windows and all (haven't seen the inside though), so it seems to me like those buses were given to Academy for the purpose of charter operations, and I'm pretty sure I've seen one of them on the IKEA Elizabeth weekend shuttle (charter). Now IDK about NJT, but if the feds knew about that there'd probably be a shitstorm and I don't think Academy would have any more state buses in their fleet nor would they be operating any NJT services.

Like I've said before, I don't care if they use a few state buses occasionally on charter runs, as long as it doesn't affect the services those buses were given to them for, but Academy frequently takes out numerous state buses for charter runs including NABIs and Nova RTSs, which are operated UNDER CONTRACT to NJT. And believe me I'd have a problem with any company using large amounts state buses for charters, Academy, CUSA, Lakeland, DeCamp, whoever.

I have been there they DO NOT use NJT owned buses!!!!!!!! on any DC run period. Now calm down HATER.

They are aloud to as long as the buses are back for regular transit/commuter runs as Academy has to pay for the insurance and up keep of the buses. Enough on the hating no one here cares!

I have been there they DO NOT use NJT owned buses!!!!!!!! on any DC run period. Now calm down HATER.

Sheesh, sorry then. I only said it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

They are aloud to as long as the buses are back for regular transit/commuter runs as Academy has to pay for the insurance and up keep of the buses. Enough on the hating no one here cares!

The buses are provided to Academy for commuter and NJT contract services only, especially the NABIs and RTSs.

NOBODY CARES chill buddy. You think it should extend to charlettesvile or whatever? no more anti academy rants please

Nobody cares? Quite a few of the people in the NJT forum definitely seem to care. This is a private company leasing these buses purchased by the NJ (and federal) taxpayers for a few bucks a year and using them to make money on charter services. They're ripping off the taxpayers of NJ, and that should NOT be tolerated.

See ConnDOT had the same problem and a simple solution. All state buses have standard CT Transit scheme. Therefore no money can be made off of them for charter reasons and it would be easy to spot a state bus on a charter run. Matter-of-fact, if any money from the state goes into purchasing any bus, it will be in CT Transit scheme.

Nobody cares? Quite a few of the people in the NJT forum definitely seem to care. This is a private company leasing these buses purchased by the NJ (and federal) taxpayers for a few bucks a year and using them to make money on charter services. They're ripping off the taxpayers of NJ, and that should NOT be tolerated.

BLAH BLAH CHILL OUT

BLAH BLAH CHILL OUT

No, you "chill out". I don't give a damn if it isn't a "popular" (in your mind) topic on here, Academy is stealing from the taxpayers and I'm gonna speak my mind about it.

See ConnDOT had the same problem and a simple solution. All state buses have standard CT Transit scheme. Therefore no money can be made off of them for charter reasons and it would be easy to spot a state bus on a charter run. Matter-of-fact, if any money from the state goes into purchasing any bus, it will be in CT Transit scheme.

Well Academy runs NJT-branded buses all the time on charter routes, though recently they've been covering up the NJT markings which means some people might be complaining, that or Academy could be trying to avoid complaints. And all the buses say OWNED BY: NEW JERSEY TRANSIT CORPORATION on the side.

No, you "chill out". I don't give a damn if it isn't a "popular" (in your mind) topic on here, Academy is stealing from the taxpayers and I'm gonna speak my mind about it.

Well Academy runs NJT-branded buses all the time on charter routes, though recently they've been covering up the NJT markings which means some people might be complaining, that or Academy could be trying to avoid complaints. And all the buses say OWNED BY: NEW JERSEY TRANSIT CORPORATION on the side.

you MAD BRO

@QJT you can say no one cares all you want, but that's our (those of you who are NJ residents) taxpayer money being used improperly. You may not know it, but using state-owned buses for charter purposes is illegal. And the bad part is NJT knows it's happening and isn't doing anything about it because the owner of Academy is on the NJT board.

@Orion VII 4 Life the buses that are going to be used in the Washington DC area are most likely going to be used by Academy(since they don't any other TA's MCIs to take advantage of down there.).

@QJT you can say no one cares all you want, but that's our (those of you who are NJ residents) taxpayer money being used improperly. You may not know it, but using state-owned buses for charter purposes is illegal. And the bad part is NJT knows it's happening and isn't doing anything about it because the owner of Academy is on the NJT board.

@Orion VII 4 Life the buses that are going to be used in the Washington DC area are most likely going to be used by Academy(since they don't any other TA's MCIs to take advantage of down there.).

DAFAQ? Academy owner on NJT board?!!! Then why does academy and NJT not have interchangable crosshonoring fares outside emergencies?

DAFAQ? Academy owner on NJT board?!!! Then why does academy and NJT not have interchangable crosshonoring fares outside emergencies?

Don't ask me dude. But Academy does run 2 different sets of routes under contract to NJT in Middlesex and Hudson counties.

Also after double checking it looks like Francis Tedesco might no longer be on the NJT board. Now I hope it's time to hold Academy accountable.

• 4 weeks later...

Have a look at this:

http://www.academybu...ington,-DC.aspx

Interesting.....it looks like an old Virginia Stage Lines (Continental Trailways) route from way back....

I have seen some Van Hools in a variation of Academy scheme getting serviced at the Hoboken garage that are lettered for a 'DC2NY' service...wonder if that is the same Academy division providing the Va. commuter service?

• 3 months later...

I don't know how to put this politely other than telling you that you're making unfounded claims. Take a look through documents on how the feds fund transit. Capital purchases on buses are very much a passenger mile based calculation. Academy's commuter services (Jersey Shore/Parkway whatever) all produce passenger miles which are attributed to NJ by the feds. NJT is funneled money to make bus purchases and because Academy produces passenger miles which helped generate this money... don't you think it's fair that they get buses? As long as they continue to provide these commuter services and comply with federal regulations, Academy can do what they want with the buses since they lease they and provide the USDOT # and insurance and IFTA. And Jersey Tax $? Psh. Those buses are 80% funded by the feds.

"The Federal share of eligible capital costs is 80 percent of the net capital project cost, unless the grant recipient requests a lower percentage. The Federal share may exceed 80 percent for certain projects related to the ADA, the Clean Air Act (CAA), and certain bicycle projects."

Sources:

http://www.fta.dot.gov/grants/13094_3557.html

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/capital/stip1221/sec3/

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/FactsAtaGlance.pdf

http://www.ntdprogram.gov/ntdprogram/Glossary.htm

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/feds_give_nj_transit_76_millio.html

I don't know how to put this politely other than telling you that you're making unfounded claims. Take a look through documents on how the feds fund transit. Capital purchases on buses are very much a passenger mile based calculation. Academy's commuter services (Jersey Shore/Parkway whatever) all produce passenger miles which are attributed to NJ by the feds. NJT is funneled money to make bus purchases and because Academy produces passenger miles which helped generate this money... don't you think it's fair that they get buses? As long as they continue to provide these commuter services and comply with federal regulations, Academy can do what they want with the buses since they lease they and provide the USDOT # and insurance and IFTA. And Jersey Tax $? Psh. Those buses are 80% funded by the feds.

"The Federal share of eligible capital costs is 80 percent of the net capital project cost, unless the grant recipient requests a lower percentage. The Federal share may exceed 80 percent for certain projects related to the ADA, the Clean Air Act (CAA), and certain bicycle projects."

Sources:

http://www.fta.dot.gov/grants/13094_3557.html

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/capital/stip1221/sec3/

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/FactsAtaGlance.pdf

http://www.ntdprogram.gov/ntdprogram/Glossary.htm

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/feds_give_nj_transit_76_millio.html

dude you revived a 3 month old thread CMON MAN STOP :deadhorse:  :deadhorse: .

This thread needs to do the dance  :Lock:  :Lock:  :Lock: .

that's cool, you know, discourage research on transportation planning and funding.

dude you revived a 3 month old thread CMON MAN STOP :deadhorse:  :deadhorse: .

This thread needs to do the dance  :Lock:  :Lock:  :Lock: .

• 4 weeks later...

Hate to stir the pot lol...  Just wanted to point this out (as I'm just reading this thread today)....

http://www.academybus.com/Newsroom/Press-Releases/Press-Releases/Academy-Bus-Purchases-Metro-D-C-%E2%80%99s-New-World-Tours.aspx

ACADEMY PURCHASES METRO D.C.'s NEW WORLD TOURS

Leading Northeast Ground Transportation Provider Expands Service with Acquisition

Hoboken, N.J. – Academy Bus, a leading provider of charter and commuter bus services in the Northeast, purchased New World Tours of Bristow, VA. The operation serves the metropolitan Washington, D.C. area. Academy has acquired New World’s existing buses, terminal building in Bristow, VA and sales office in Bethany Beach, DE.

“Academy Bus maintains the highest standards for quality, safety and customer service. New World Tours has a long history delivering exceptional charter bus service to its customers, meeting our stringent qualifications to carry the Academy brand,” said Francis Tedesco, president of Academy Bus. “This expansion provides Academy and New World Tours customers more options and service availability from Washington, D.C., through New England and everywhere in between.”

New World Tours president, Dave Bolen, will manage Academy’s Virginia operations, and all employees will have the opportunity to remain in their existing roles.

“When New World Tours was formed in 1994, we named the company for our commitment to reinventing the motor coach industry. We are proud of our dynamic fleet of vehicles, outstanding safety records and the reputation we have worked tirelessly to build,” said Bolen. “Academy’s vision for New World Tours is simply the right fit, and we look forward to providing our customers with the same great service they have come to expect but now under the Academy name.”

New World Tours’ operates a fleet of 25 vehicles and is authorized by the U.S. Department of Transportation. New World takes great pride in the cleanliness and reliability of our fleet, as well as the safety record of its professionally trained, experienced operators.

Archived