Does having Diabetes automatically disqualify me from the medical?

SeVenSinZ

Hello all, I have a question concerning the medical portion for new hires. Does having diabetes automatically disqualify me from becoming a train operator? I am type 1 because I use insulin, but my blood sugar is controlled well thanks to the medication. Will this disqualify me from being hired? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, so it WON'T automatically disqualify me? All I have to do is show that it's under control and everything should be fine? By showing, you mean bringing in a letter from my doctor or do they take some form of test right there? Also, what is MAC?

Ok, so it WON'T automatically disqualify me? All I have to do is show that it's under control and everything should be fine? By showing, you mean bringing in a letter from my doctor or do they take some form of test right there? Also, what is MAC?

Every Six Months of your time down here you will going to the MAC Center to get yer finger pricked . You will have to bring your Doctors paperwork with you..

If its under Control you are Fine if not you are off the train in road service you will be working the yard or station switching. Oh Insulin could be a problem if you have to take it not sure.

Every Six Months of your time down here you will going to the MAC Center to get yer finger pricked . You will have to bring your Doctors paperwork with you..

If its under Control you are Fine if not you are off the train in road service you will be working the yard or station switching. Oh Insulin could be a problem if you have to take it not sure.

Gotcha. That's good information.

I have bipolar disorder and there was a few times during the hiring process (even in the white collar job sector) I had to provide medical documentation to show that I am treated for it and in good mental health.

On diabetes and insulin, it causes a variety of side effects anywhere from mild to severe and even life threatening as we well know. (Hope I am not scaring anybody)

link: http://www.drugs.com...de-effects.html

Edit: While on the subject can you get medical clearance if you are a sufferer from BD with the goal of being T/O, B/O or C/R? What about if say I want to get into the IT department at their administrative offices? I used to operate heavy machinery when I was younger and working as a machinist. I was medically cleared but they did ask for medical documentation stating that I am being treated. Nowadays I don't even bother revealing that information to prospective employers. (The stigma from it that results)

Gotcha. That's good information.

I have bipolar disorder and there was a few times during the hiring process (even in the white collar job sector) I had to provide medical documentation to show that I am treated for it and in good mental health.

On diabetes and insulin, it causes a variety of side effects anywhere from mild to severe and even life threatening as we well know. (Hope I am not scaring anybody)

link: http://www.drugs.com...de-effects.html

Edit: While on the subject can you get medical clearance if you are a sufferer from BD with the goal of being T/O, B/O or C/R? What about if say I want to get into the IT department at their administrative offices? I used to operate heavy machinery when I was younger and working as a machinist. I was medically cleared but they did ask for medical documentation stating that I am being treated. Nowadays I don't even bother revealing that information to prospective employers. (The stigma from it that results)

Interesting questions. I've a good pal who through some google research suspects he might have bipolar disorder. He's always seemed pretty normal to me aside from him from time to time complaining about depression among other things. Right now he's seeing a psychologist which I though was a terrible idea, because now hes taking some pills there, I dont know their name. I of course am slightly ignorant to these type of things. I told him to NOT see a doctor and don't dare get officially diagnosed with any Bipolar or any mental illness that isn't turning you into a rabid animal out of control. Once this stuff is on record, it can become a bit of a problem the rest of your life. The guy just doesn't seem at all any different from me, if anything I'm the one who's got bipolar disorder lol.

Archived