Porkchop RTS's

jgood6195

All of the RTSes until the RTS-06 had the sloped rear window, it just started to be called the porkchop when the A/C unit was added above the engine to create the whole bulkhead. Every RTS from the prototype through the RTS-04 had a porkchop window, basically.

That window was always there with the model traditionally. Up until the RTS-03, you had the slopeback, so that made the last window a slant. Many of them were converted to house an A/C unit, thus creating a new bulkhead shape. The RTS-04 continued to be manufactured with the window, but with the new bulkhead standard for the most part. The RTS-06 is what throws me of because TMC manufactured their early RTS's with the window as well. Every RTS (08-10) manufactured from there on after omitted the window simply with a flat panel.

Speaking from personal experience, Omnitrans, my local TA at the time had many orders of the RTS. In their 1980 GMC's, they retained the window, even after they were converted from the slopeback. In their 1989 TMC's, they were built with the window, but they covered it up with some sheet metal. Why, who knows, likely A/C work, but they never removed the window entirely. In their 1992 & 1993 TMC's, they were built with the flat panel, but interestly enough in the interior, after the last window, there was a space covered that seems to have been built to house a window, but it never did.

So confusing. :wacko:

The porkchop wasn't the window itself; it was the metal panel next to it, made to fill in the bulkhead space covering the A/C compartment.

That was added with the first RTS's to have built-in A/C's, which, I guess was the 04. When slopebacks had the A/C's added, the unit had its own panel or vents on the side. Of course, the little window was always there, before and after.

Archived