System Redundancy is a Good Thing and More

BrooklynBus

Redundancy certainly helps with unconventional reroutes.Since the N/Q Manhattan bridge tracks were shut down this weekend and there were major signal problems most of this weekend at Court St (going uptown), selected R's needed to go a different way.  They used the 6th Ave line to Bwy-Lafayette, then the M route via 53rd St to Queens Plaza, and then resumed regular service.  (Something to keep in mind whenever you see the Broadway line temporarily shut down in midtown: just walk over to the 6th Ave line.)  Certain Q's had to turn back at Prospect Park, so it certainly helped to have another way to route R trains.

Some areas are worse than others (Woodhaven and the Union Turnpike interchange).

There's a reason it's called "the Boulevard of Death."

Really you need to travel more boulevard of Death is like a children's playground compared to hempstead tpk in LI. queens blvd is safe compared to many roads in SJ like rte 70 and 38 try crossing nesconset highway and you would be begging to go back to queens blvd. 

Rte 9 in dutchess county and NJ make queens blvd look SAFE!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

That's exactly my point... My B4 was right on time and got me to Bay Ridge under the time shown on the schedule.  That was almost impossible under Ulmer Park.  The schedule was just a suggestion and you'd wait for the bus and just hoped that you were lucky enough to get one bus to show up, let alone on time.

I went to Stop N Shop many times last year and the B4 would come early.  I would see it pass by and look at the timetable.  I did not want to carry my groceries on 2 trains, so I would wait 20 minutes for the next one.  When the next one was skipped, I wrote to transit  to make the drivers stay on scheudule.  (Because the driver was 3 or 4 minutes early, I had to wait 40 minutes) . THen after that, the drivers were pretty much closer to the posted schedule at the stop.

So, I would hope to have had a small part of the reason for that.

That was also not the first time I had a missing 4 bus.

I went to Stop N Shop many times last year and the B4 would come early.  I would see it pass by and look at the timetable.  I did not want to carry my groceries on 2 trains, so I would wait 20 minutes for the next one.  When the next one was skipped, I wrote to transit  to make the drivers stay on scheudule.  (Because the driver was 3 or 4 minutes early, I had to wait 40 minutes) . THen after that, the drivers were pretty much closer to the posted schedule at the stop.

Well it was certainly something talked about at the Town Hall Meeting back in Sheepshead Bay.  Many of us brought up the fact that service was not only infrequent but made worse by buses being MIA.  Service out of Ulmer Park was always pretty poor esp. during the 90's when I used it the most, but I found that when Jackie Gleason took over the line, service became better.

They take bus drivers coming early pretty seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if you had some effect. Today on the B1 the driver actually waited three minutes for someone running for the bus. She must have been early. I can't see any other reason why she would have waited so long.

Archived