MTA's $40 million windfall: Make service better, urge politicians, mayoral candidates

Harry

post-5097-0-89793800-1370349787_thumb.jpg
More than 45 elected officials or candidates for office — including all the major Democrats running for mayor — are demanding the Metropolitan Transportation Authority use a $40 million windfall to restore and bolster service. The Daily News reported earlier this year that the state budget increases transit subsidies by more than $358 million — $40 million more than the MTA anticipated in its own budget. The agency is also raising more money than expected from its $1 MetroCard "green fee" begun in March. “The trains and buses are packed," said John Raskin, executive director of the Riders Alliance.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-89793800-1370349787_thumb.jpg

Well, the MTA shouldn't restore cut service because $40mil doesn't seem to be enough and what happens the next year when they don't have this 'surplus'? That service will likely be cut again. What they should do is use the money towards more security (cameras and personel) as well as maybe having more trains and buses cleaned up more often.

Well, the MTA shouldn't restore cut service because $40mil doesn't seem to be enough and what happens the next year when they don't have this 'surplus'? That service will likely be cut again. What they should do is use the money towards more security (cameras and personel) as well as maybe having more trains and buses cleaned up more often.

I disagree... Passengers are paying more for less service and will be paying another fare hike in 2015 with nothing to show for it.  Every effort should be made to restore as much service as possible and I been throwing my support behind numerous communities and local leaders to see that those restorations take place as quickly as possible, to provide relief to those areas. 

It is easy to say that the (MTA) shouldn't restore service when you're not affected by the cuts.  Many people have had extreme difficulties getting around and when transportation isn't convenient people stop using it to do things like go shopping or any other leisure trips.  That in turn hurts the economic viability of numerous communities which means less tax revenues for the city and less potential revenue for the (MTA), so these cuts go much further than you realize. That's why so many local politicians are fighting for service restorations.

I disagree... Passengers are paying more for less service and will be paying another fare hike in 2015 with nothing to show for it.  Every effort should be made to restore as much service as possible and I been throwing my support behind numerous communities and local leaders to see that those restorations take place as quickly as possible, to provide relief to those areas. 

It is easy to say that the (MTA) shouldn't restore service when you're not affected by the cuts.  Many people have had extreme difficulties getting around and when transportation isn't convenient people stop using it to do things like go shopping or any other leisure trips.  That in turn hurts the economic viability of numerous communities which means less tax revenues for the city and less potential revenue for the (MTA), so these cuts go much further than you realize. That's why so many local politicians are fighting for service restorations.

Great point. Regardless with or without service enhancements the MTA will still hop on the opportunity to raise fares. To expect passengers to pay more for service and not have enhancements coincide with the increase will rightfully anger many passengers.

Great point. Regardless with or without service enhancements the MTA will still hop on the opportunity to raise fares. To expect passengers to pay more for service and not have enhancements coincide with the increase will rightfully anger many passengers.

Not will... It already has them angry... I am currently throwing my support behind several restorations such as the B37 (full restoration), X28 (weekend service) and M104 (back to the UN) and called on Governor Cuomo to look into enhanced (1) service which I was promised would happen where possible from a high up at the (MTA) after contacting Cuomo's office.  I have urged local leaders to remain protective of BM1, BM3, and BM4 express bus service, as those communities can ill afford any more service cuts.  I also want to see the X17 return to its normal routing on weekends to allow Staten Island residents who already face long commutes to not have to endure making an additional stop in Brooklyn which would be possible should the X28 petition have a positive outcome.

Not will... It already has them angry... I am currently throwing my support behind several restorations such as the B37, X28 and M104 and called on Governor Pataki to look into enhanced (1) service.  I have urged local leaders to remain protective of BM1, BM3, and BM4 express bus service, as those communities can ill afford any more service cuts.

By all means, continue to fight for restorations. At any rate it's off putting to see the agency propose new routes, while there are still many gaps left from the last major cuts.

By all means, continue to fight for restorations. At any rate it's off putting to see the agency propose new routes, while there are still many gaps left from the last major cuts.

Well I'm well aware that in some cases the (MTA) probably wanted to get rid of some routes and having a budget shortage just gives them the excuse they were looking for to make it easy for them.  

They should really consider bringing back the day pass. They need to...

Totally agreed. Tourists probably don't need a whole week or monthly cards. And for some of us we could totally fan the system a whole bunch of times in a day.

It's not about not being affected, the point is who knows if there will be a surplus for the next year. The services might be cut again. Rather than set people up for a disappointment a year from now, the MtA should focus on improving the existing lines first and then maybe they could extend some routes to cover some areas (branching off a main route) instead of bringing back a full route. They already brought back the B39 (granted a token bus for the whole line), but I'm not totally against some routes being brought back. It's just that people can't be unrealistic in wanting all the 2010 service cuts restored all at once.

Totally agreed. Tourists probably don't need a whole week or monthly cards. And for some of us we could totally fan the system a whole bunch of times in a day.

It's not about not being affected, the point is who knows if there will be a surplus for the next year. The services might be cut again. Rather than set people up for a disappointment a year from now, the MtA should focus on improving the existing lines first and then maybe they could extend some routes to cover some areas (branching off a main route) instead of bringing back a full route. They already brought back the B39 (granted a token bus for the whole line), but I'm not totally against some routes being brought back. It's just that people can't be unrealistic in wanting all the 2010 service cuts restored all at once.

Who is calling for all of the 2010 cuts to be restored?  They can't sit on a surplus and use it for a rainy day.  They made a promise to the public that as soon as their economic situation turned around, they would do everything possible to restore as much service as possible and that's what they should be doing and doing so responsibly.   The services that were cut stung and are sorely needed in some cases.  Aside from the $40 million they've received, they're also getting money from the new $1 Metrocard fee, far more than they were expecting.  There is more than enough money now for more service restorations and improvements. If they have money for new routes, they can find the money to restore more services and we're going to fight to get what should be restored.  

------

I will be receiving paper petitions for the X28 for anyone who is interested in signing, as an electronic version is not yet available and the B37 petition continues to go on.

And don't you think that money could go for maybe more station cleanings/repairs as well as getting more buses and trains cleaned up by hiring more cleaners at the terminals? Sure there is a surplus now, but you can improve the existing services first and then expand the spending to restoring some lines. You yourself complained about filthy cars and seats, I'd have figured even that would be a priority.

And don't you think that money could go for maybe more station cleanings/repairs as well as getting more buses and trains cleaned up by hiring more cleaners at the terminals? Sure there is a surplus now, but you can improve the existing services first and then expand the spending to restoring some lines. You yourself complained about filthy cars and seats, I'd have figured even that would be a priority.

I don't think more money needs to be spent on station cleanings... It's called better supervision and accountability of the current workers to ensure that they're doing their jobs and if they need more help THEN you hire more workers. Station repairs and construction comes from another fund anyway and that is something that the (MTA) should be petitioning for on the state and federal level if need be.... Get more funding for their capital budget.

The agency is also raising more money than expected from its $1 MetroCard "green fee" begun in March.

“The trains and buses are packed," said John Raskin, executive director of the Riders Alliance.

"The first priority for unexpected MTA funds should be running more trains and more buses, so riders can wait less and have a little more space to breathe.”

Stuck out like a sore thumb when I read this part.....

Love the first comment that proceeded the statement too..... Not only is the point being conveyed that they're obtaining more money from those that choose to pay (or are unaware that they have to pay) a cool buck for a new metrocard, it's combined w/ the point that with more people are using mass transit....

Well, at least bringing up that more service should also result from said funds, was also mentioned.....

Archived