10C routing

Amtrak7

Exactly how does the 10C loop in Montauk/Ditch Plains? The timetable is awful vague. This is what I can discern from reading it and a map:

Eastbound from East Hampton on NY 27

Turn around at the Plaza

Left onto 2nd House Rd

Right on Industrial Road

Left on Edgemere St

Pass LIRR

Go up to the dock

Go back down West Lake Dr

Ditch Plains Loop: clockwise or anticlockwise?

Back onto NY 27

Loop through the Plaza again

West to East Hampton

Am I right? But Street View shows a bus stop at Euclid Avenue, and the timetable map makes it seem like there is no left onto 2nd House Road?

Also, I heard that some rural SCT routes operate on a flag-stop basis. What routes would that be? (not on SCT site)

Whoops I meant right at Second House Road not left. But either way the map doesn't show the bus turning onto it from the east.

The S92 schedule is also quite confusing, since it doesn't have specific timepoints just town names. But at least the routing is very easy to decipher from the map.

Exactly how does the 10C loop in Montauk/Ditch Plains? The timetable is awful vague. This is what I can discern from reading it and a map:

Eastbound from East Hampton on NY 27

Turn around at the Plaza

Left onto 2nd House Rd

Right on Industrial Road

Left on Edgemere St

Pass LIRR

Go up to the dock

Go back down West Lake Dr

Ditch Plains Loop: clockwise or anticlockwise?

Back onto NY 27

Loop through the Plaza again

West to East Hampton

Am I right? But Street View shows a bus stop at Euclid Avenue, and the timetable map makes it seem like there is no left onto 2nd House Road?

Also, I heard that some rural SCT routes operate on a flag-stop basis. What routes would that be? (not on SCT site)

1] Wait, hold on... the 10c isn't a loop to & from east hampton, bro.....The 10c runs from montauk village to east hampton....

Anyway, east hampton bound buses within montauk village leave from embassy & euclid av (which is where I got on at)... From there it continues on euclid, right on edgemere, right on the plaza, right on 27, right on second house, right on industrial, left on edgemere (which later turns into flamingo), flamingo all the way to the dock, turns/loops around using west lake dr, then left on 27, serving ditch plains in a counter-clockwise manner (meaning, it turns onto ditch plains rd. from 27 & leaves ditch plains using caswell rd)... then it SPEEDS (as QJT would love) down 27 back towards montauk village, en route to east hampton......

The service is structured so that there is consistent service (for that area of the county anyway) to & from montauk village, via the dock and ditch plains.... That is what the timetable is trying to show - Although it is confusing that they combined the separate directional timetables both onto 1 timetable.....

2] As far as flagging stops, the S90, S92 (between east hampton & bridgehampton anyway), & 10c are like that...

I don't know about any other routes where that's permissable....

Good questions though.

With the exception of one 10C trip, its not a loop.

As for the last question, all the Riverhead buses (except the S58, S66, and S90 from Riverhead to East Quogue)and all the buses through the forks are allowed to make flag stops. Between Mount Sinai and Riverhead you can get on the S62 by flagging the bus (waving or some signal), because it has no bus stops outside if those areas.

The SCT map just says the eastern routes can flag the operator down, but that's too vague.

As for the last question, all the Riverhead buses (except the S66) and all the buses through the forks are allowed to make flag stops. Between Mount Sinai and Riverhead you can get on the S62 by flagging the bus (waving or some signal), because it has no bus stops outside if those areas.

Are you sure about that? Because I've never seen anyone attempt to flag down the 58 & 62 at a location that isn't a bus stop.....

This guy JQP takes the 58/62 a lot, I wanna see what he has to say about this.....

Are you sure about that? Because I've never seen anyone attempt to flag down the 58 & 62 at a location that isn't a bus stop.....

This guy JQP takes the 58/62 a lot, I wanna see what he has to say about this.....

I forgot the S58 in that, and I edited that.

The S62 has no stop signs between Riverhead and Mount Sinai. I've never seen one when I've taken the S62. As for the Variation into Wading River, haven't take it in a while.

The S62 has no stop signs between Riverhead and Mount Sinai. I've never seen one when I've taken the S62.

No S62 bus stop signs between Riverhead & Mount Sinai? That's not remotely close to being true.....

As for the Variation into Wading River, haven't take it in a while.

Oh....

FYI, there are bus stop signs in Wading River.....

1] Wait, hold on... the 10c isn't a loop to & from east hampton, bro.....The 10c runs from montauk village to east hampton....

Anyway, east hampton bound buses within montauk village leave from embassy & euclid av (which is where I got on at)... From there it continues on euclid, right on edgemere, right on the plaza, right on 27, right on second house, right on industrial, left on edgemere (which later turns into flamingo), flamingo all the way to the dock, turns/loops around using west lake dr, then left on 27, serving ditch plains in a counter-clockwise manner (meaning, it turns onto ditch plains rd. from 27 & leaves ditch plains using caswell rd)... then it SPEEDS (as QJT would love) down 27 back towards montauk village, en route to east hampton......

The service is structured so that there is consistent service (for that area of the county anyway) to & from montauk village, via the dock and ditch plains.... That is what the timetable is trying to show - Although it is confusing that they combined the separate directional timetables both onto 1 timetable.....

Thanks...so the eastern terminal is Embassy & Euclid. So eastbound buses go from NY27, to Embassy/Edgemere, then to the dock/Ditch Plains, then terminate at Euclid?

Now the timetable is making a little more sense...

Thanks...so the eastern terminal is Embassy & Euclid. So eastbound buses go from NY27, to Embassy/Edgemere, then to the dock/Ditch Plains, then terminate at Euclid?

Now the timetable is making a little more sense...

Yep.... buses serve Montauk village twice..

- westbound buses start from there, and serve montauk vill. after having came from ditch plains, heading towards E. Hampton..

- eastbound buses serve montauk vill. after having came from east hampton & amagansett, and end there after having came from ditch plains....

I'd like to shake the hand of whoever masterminded a route/routing like that.... It's pretty smart IMO.

Yep.... buses serve Montauk village twice..

- westbound buses start from there, and serve montauk vill. after having came from ditch plains, heading towards E. Hampton..

- eastbound buses serve montauk vill. after having came from east hampton & amagansett, and end there after having came from ditch plains....

I'd like to shake the hand of whoever masterminded a route/routing like that.... It's pretty smart IMO.

This is a nice route, but SCT needs to do a much better job at communicating it!

Whoops I meant right at Second House Road not left. But either way the map doesn't show the bus turning onto it from the east.

The S92 schedule is also quite confusing, since it doesn't have specific timepoints just town names. But at least the routing is very easy to decipher from the map.

Thats because those towns aren't that big, whats the point of having specific time points when you will be literally through the town in a matter of seconds. Besides the S92 is normally ever on time, so I doubt the riders of the route care about the time points anyway. 

As for the last question, all the Riverhead buses (except the S58, S66, and S90 from Riverhead to East Quogue)and all the buses through the forks are allowed to make flag stops. Between Mount Sinai and Riverhead you can get on the S62 by flagging the bus (waving or some signal), because it has no bus stops outside if those areas.

The SCT map just says the eastern routes can flag the operator down, but that's too vague.

I think out east you can flag down a bus but thats all. Drivers are not suppose to stop for people that aren't at a bus stop sign. I know that from personal experience, both flagging down a bus and being on buses where people have tried to flag down a bus. I remember once when I was younger a diver saw a person flagging him down and the driver, who my family had ridden many times with, said that he couldn't stop because the person wasn't at a bus stop. Recently when I told a friend that one of the local bus stop signs was taken out by an accident he said he wouldn't catch the bus there because the driver wouldn't stop, even though the driver probably would have known a stop was there, because the actual sign wasn't there.

I forgot the S58 in that, and I edited that.

The S62 has no stop signs between Riverhead and Mount Sinai. I've never seen one when I've taken the S62. As for the Variation into Wading River, haven't take it in a while.

There are stop signs for the S62 between Mount Sinai and Riverhead, I've seen many when I took the S62 years ago.  And I personally know where two are from when I lived near Mount Sinai. 

Archived