Farebeating on MetroNorth & LIRR

Via Garibaldi 8

I took MetroNorth in this morning and got on in Riverdale as usual.  I saw a young black teenage looking kid in one of the sections, but I sat in another section that was empty with another white chick that got on with me since I like to have my space and some R & R since this was off-peak.  Anywho, we sit down and I start listening to my usual metal tunes and by the time we reached the Marble Hill stop, I saw the skinny white chick that usually collects tickets.  She was standing in the same spot for a while but seemed agitated, so I peak to see what it is going on and take out my earbuds and it's the black teenage kid that apparently got on either without a ticket or an expired one or something.  She kicked him off of the train at the University Heights stop.  My question is how common is farebeating on MetroNorth and LIRR trains? 

I've noticed a few shady looking characters but I can't believe that some are so bold and stupid to think that they'll get on without a ticket and be able to ride.  Not very bright.  

It's not that bold of them - I've been on a LIRR train where at least 8 guys wearing Manchester United jerseys all snuck onto the bathroom of an M7 and then all drunkenly staggered off at Woodside. So it happens.

Impossibru. People only take LIRR to go to work, so you said so drunken guys cant be on LIRR trains.

It's not that bold of them - I've been on a LIRR train where at least 8 guys wearing Manchester United jerseys all snuck onto the bathroom of an M7 and then all drunkenly staggered off at Woodside. So it happens.

Well, if you know where they check at then I can see you doing that but if you don't know then don't just sit there and try to pass off an expired ticket, though I do wonder if they actually look at the tickets.  I think in all of the times that I've used MetroNorth, I've only noticed ONCE that the person collecting tickets actually examined the ticket before punching it.  That's another thing I don't get.  Why do they punch holes into the tickets and what do they do with them?

Correction to original post: Meant to say PEEK instead of peak. lol Sometimes I hate English! :lol:

Some fare-evaders just go on the train and hide in the bathroom until their stop, without having a valid ticket.

I had one fare-beater on the LIRR train to Jamaica get slapped with a $100 fine for not showing a ticket.

Some fare-evaders just go on the train and hide in the bathroom until their stop, without having a valid ticket.

I had one fare-beater on the LIRR train to Jamaica get slapped with a $100 fine for not showing a ticket.

lol... I don't see too many people using the bathroom on MetroNorth but I have seen a few.  They must only have bathrooms in select cars though.

Interesting to know... Do they usually have that posted somewhere or what? I never pay attention since I'm wild about using public restrooms.

It is printed on all LIRR public timetables...not sure about MN.

Impossibru. People only take LIRR to go to work, so you said so drunken guys cant be on LIRR trains.

False people use LIRR for everything even local trips. They use it to get to NYC and get wasted till morning the LIRR is full of drunks. 

@via8 farebeating on MTA railroads is far worse than you think and more widespread unlike bus and subway farebeating it's much more subtle and less in your face. Many times LIRR won't collect tickets for local trips they are losing a ton of local revenue. However the longer your trip theharder it is to farebeat.

The LIRR used to be very lax on collecting immediate fares.  They always check tickets before and after Jamaica, but you could get on at Hicksville and ride all the way to Montauk everyday for weeks without getting your ticket taken.

However, since Hurricane Sandy (and all that lost revenue) the LIRR has been much more pursuant of intermediate fares.  Especially newer collectors/assistant conductors will not let you slide for nothing.

Luckily my monthly is good to every single station (except one) in the system and I never have to worry!

And since when did I say that...

The only thing I've ever said about LIRR is that LIRR is crappy when it comes to intra-Island travel, in that aqueduct thread. The segment of the LIRR I specifically mentioned is also entirely within the city limits, where travel habits are different (but service outside of Atlantic, Jamaica, and the Port Washington Branch sucks and is expensive.)

Are there many fare inspectors in the LIRR?

I don't know the exact number (definitely multiple conductors per train), but tickets will be checked between Penn Station and Woodside, and after a train has departed/is about to arrive at Jamaica.

Are there many fare inspectors in the LIRR?

All trains have a conductor, an assistant conductor, and one or more collectors depending on how many open cars and expected load--likewise on Metro-North.

There are also plain clothes people who are "under cover" to make sure conductors and collectors are doing their jobs properly (i.e. not letting you on a ticket that expired four days ago).

As per the tariff regulations, the full and correct fare is to be collected at all times without exception.  If you do not have the proper fare you must purchase the correct one, and if you cannot purchase the correct one you will be tossed off at the next stop or if you really play your cards right you can get arrested and sent to jail for fare evasion.

The LIRR used to be very lax on collecting immediate fares.  They always check tickets before and after Jamaica, but you could get on at Hicksville and ride all the way to Montauk everyday for weeks without getting your ticket taken.

However, since Hurricane Sandy (and all that lost revenue) the LIRR has been much more pursuant of intermediate fares.  Especially newer collectors/assistant conductors will not let you slide for nothing.

Luckily my monthly is good to every single station (except one) in the system and I never have to worry!

Thanks bruh  ;)  :D

And since when did I say that...

The only thing I've ever said about LIRR is that LIRR is crappy when it comes to intra-Island travel, in that aqueduct thread. The segment of the LIRR I specifically mentioned is also entirely within the city limits, where travel habits are different (but service outside of Atlantic, Jamaica, and the Port Washington Branch sucks and is expensive.)

Sorry, I confused your post with Trainmaster5's post. He was the one who said Long Islanders only use LIRR for work.

I've noticed that some conductors fail to collect the tickets on the first few cars on the Port-Washington Branch trains (I'm often on the first car if it's an M3 for the RFW)

That happens a lot to trains that leave off track 13-16. Passengers come down from the 7th Ave concourse area and they just run into the first open door they see. The first two cars get so overcrowded that it's often impossible to physically get through and collect.

That happens a lot to trains that leave off track 13-16. Passengers come down from the 7th Ave concourse area and they just run into the first open door they see. The first two cars get so overcrowded that it's often impossible to physically get through and collect.

Shouldnt that apply to other tracks as well? Because its always chaotic because of the late announcements where a train is going to depart.

Shouldnt that apply to other tracks as well? Because its always chaotic because of the late announcements where a train is going to depart.

The other tracks are just jammed packed in whatever car is right next to the bottom of the stairs.

I'll have to check that out.

Don't bother, it's not printed anywhere.  I'm not sure if that's the case with all the rolling stock.

Regardless, restrooms are an issue with fare beaters. On some of my trains I'll lock out the bathrooms in my cars between certain stops.

Archived