What is the longest a bus can be in NYC?

BrooklynIRT

Is it 64 feet? I seem to remember East New York saying this a while ago.

I almost wish we could have something as long as the Volvo B12M Bi-artic, which is 92 feet long. at least on super straight busy lines like the B44 SBS. I would also say B41 SBS and B46 SBS if those lines were SBS and had curb extensions at as many SBS stops as possible but do not want to over-complicate things yet

In the US I believe 65 feet ans over is illegal, unless a waiver is granted.

Case in point, North American Bus Industries (NABI) has produced a 65-BRT in the past. Los Angeles Metropolitan Transportation Authority purchased the single vehicle for use on the Orange Line. To legally operate the vehicle on public roadway a waiver is necessary. Ultimatly I think it's more trouble than it's worth.

I believe it can be 55ft because the select a buses are about that length.  But then again it might just be longer.

Most articulated transit buses are roughly 60 feet, and the operation of them doesn't pose any issues.

I believe the feds limit the size due to blind spot issues (completely valid).

New York City has special rules for long trucks (and might not even allow double-trailers) due to the amount of pedestrians here, but i'm not sure if those rules only specifically apply to trucks,

I believe the feds limit the size due to blind spot issues (completely valid).

New York City has special rules for long trucks (and might not even allow double-trailers) due to the amount of pedestrians here, but i'm not sure if those rules only specifically apply to trucks,

I see double trailers all the time. FedEx uses them, although they are a lot smaller than average.

Upon doing further research, it appears that you can operate a truck longer than 55 ft in the city, but it requires special mirrors and a permit from NYCDOT.

Any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000+ needs those mirrors. As for the special permits, they are required only under certain conditions:

1. 53-foot trailers for any street use in NYC other than going to or from LI via the New England Thruway, the Throgs Neck Expressway and Bridge, the Clearview Expressway, and the Long Island Expressway.

2. 48-foot, 102-inch trailers, or trucks longer than 55 feet, not carrying household goods, beyond 1 statute mile from an interstate highway. 48-foot trailers regardless of width carrying household goods are allowed on all truck routes.

Trucks requiring permits need two permits...one to get to the destination and one to leave.

Archived