B1 Service Update

BrooklynBus

6 years ago when I attended KCC for a little bit, I took the B49 to class and you have no idea how much hate I had for the B1 riders since probably from my experience at the time was for every 4 B1's there's 1 B49.  I know the ridership between the two are not equal but still, it was very unpleasing.  It was to the point where I ditched the MTA and started driving to KCC instead.

Either way, there is a substantial amount of B1's at KCC compared to the B49.

Also when leaving KCC, you have to account for Goldstien kids as well, usually starting from 12:00 PM and on.

6 years ago when I attended KCC for a little bit, I took the B49 to class and you have no idea how much hate I had for the B1 riders since probably from my experience at the time was for every 4 B1's there's 1 B49.  I know the ridership between the two are not equal but still, it was very unpleasing.  It was to the point where I ditched the MTA and started driving to KCC instead.

Either way, there is a substantial amount of B1's at KCC compared to the B49.

Also when leaving KCC, you have to account for Goldstien kids as well, usually starting from 12:00 PM and on.

Very true... It's odd that the B49 service has been so meager when you have a sizable about of KCC students that ride that line too.

The problem with the high school and college students is that their schedules are unpredictable and what may look good on MTA paper turns out be obsolete when the students start to register and going to class. The MTA is not equipped to make schedule changes on a moment's notice as they do not have the drivers or the equipment to provide on such a short notice. Since college classes run for 15 weeks and high schools have their time off what do you do with the drivers whose runs are not needed on these days off? The drivers then get portrayed as "loafers" by the mainstream media when there is no work as there is no school. Everyone has seen or read about it and even if it's not the drivers fault but they are the ones that get the blame.

That said, there is a need for more buses on the B/1 to and from the two schools and the service needs to be provided earlier as well as later  during the day. The B/49 service should not be overlooked as well and while the students may not prefer Sheepshead Bay, the walking is not as bad from there. The best way would be for the college to pay the MTA for providing extra service (instead of the school buses) and thus the incentive will be there to improve the service. This will create a steady revenue stream for the agency that will provide the reason to provide better service.

As far as having the MTA buses wait at the station for the students it depends on the driver and the schedule, Train and bus meetings just happen and the bus driver is under no obligation to wait especially if he/she is behind schedule.  Ask anyone who takes a subway and a bus and they will tell you the same thing.

The MTA runs what it calls a school open and school closed schedule. The schools tell the MTA in advance when there is a special day when n classes are scheduled and the MTA does not run the extra buses on those days. The problem occurs when the schools fail to notify the MTA when there is no school and the buses run anyway, mostly empty.

Also on Fridays KCC as a half day schedule, but the MTA runs the extra buses anyway so between Noon and 6 PM, the buses run with only 6 passengers per bus.

Regarding the B49, there are one or two shuttle buses between Sheepshead Bay Station and KCC. I do not knew what happens in the morning, but in the afternoon and evening, those buss never carry more than 6 passengers in either direction. This happens I think, because no one wants to walk the extra block to the B 49 stand, when there are buses waiting closer. Those special B49 buses and Ocean Parkway buses need to wait closest to the college if they are to get fiilled. I believe I once mentioned this to the MTA.

The shuttle buses from KCC only benefits riders to the subway station and barely benefits B49 riders. Basically the shuttle bus only really benefits the B1. And after the afternoon, its mostly empty on both shuttle buses and B1's because most KCC students get off at 1pm latest. The rest are probably B49 riders or they drive.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The problem with the high school and college students is that their schedules are unpredictable and what may look good on MTA paper turns out be obsolete when the students start to register and going to class. The MTA is not equipped to make schedule changes on a moment's notice as they do not have the drivers or the equipment to provide on such a short notice. Since college classes run for 15 weeks and high schools have their time off what do you do with the drivers whose runs are not needed on these days off? The drivers then get portrayed as "loafers" by the mainstream media when there is no work as there is no school. Everyone has seen or read about it and even if it's not the drivers fault but they are the ones that get the blame.

That said, there is a need for more buses on the B/1 to and from the two schools and the service needs to be provided earlier as well as later  during the day. The B/49 service should not be overlooked as well and while the students may not prefer Sheepshead Bay, the walking is not as bad from there. The best way would be for the college to pay the MTA for providing extra service (instead of the school buses) and thus the incentive will be there to improve the service. This will create a steady revenue stream for the agency that will provide the reason to provide better service.

As far as having the MTA buses wait at the station for the students it depends on the driver and the schedule, Train and bus meetings just happen and the bus driver is under no obligation to wait especially if he/she is behind schedule.  Ask anyone who takes a subway and a bus and they will tell you the same thing.

I don't believe that the shuttle buses should operate on any schedule but should gear their service to train arrival times.  It makes no sense for them to leave nearly empty if the train is a few minutes late.

The shuttle buses from KCC only benefits riders to the subway station and barely benefits B49 riders. Basically the shuttle bus only really benefits the B1. And after the afternoon, its mostly empty on both shuttle buses and B1's because most KCC students get off at 1pm latest. The rest are probably B49 riders or they drive. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

When you spoke of B49 riders, I didn't know if you included subway riders from Sheepshead Bay Station. Yes, the shuttle buses on both routes only benefit subway passengers. Virtually no one else uses them.

Except for Fridays, shuttle buses always get at least a seated load.  Sometime they even carry 20 or more standees. They even can carry over 90 per bus if passengers board through the rear. 

Archived