‘Will Not Wait’ on Inequality, de Blasio Tells New York - NY Times

realizm

post-5097-0-99685200-1388662979_thumb.jpg
Bill de Blasio claimed his place as the 109th mayor of New York City shortly after 1 p.m. on Wednesday, delivering an inaugural address at City Hall in front of luminaries like Bill and Hillary Rodham Clinton as well as hundreds of ordinary New Yorkers. “We are called to put an end to economic and social inequalities that threaten to unravel the city we love,” Mr. de Blasio said. “And so today, we commit to a new progressive direction in New York. And that same progressive impulse has written our city’s history. It’s in our DNA.” Mr. de Blasio, 52, was formally sworn in shortly after midnight in a brief ceremony in front of his family’s rowhouse in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

Read More: Source

post-5097-0-99685200-1388662979_thumb.jpg

I feel really sorry for this city with this extreme far leftist... Real shame Bill Thompson wasn't elected in the primaries. I supported Lhota and would've even if Thompson won but at least he was more moderate. DeBlasio makes Obama look like a "teabagger".

PS, I would appreciate it if you don't downvote just because you don't agree with what I just said. I don't downvote posts from DeBlasio supporting posters on here unless they are threatening me or others or saying something racist or discriminating.

I'll hold my judgments till he's served a full year. I'm not in favor of that universal pre-k thing and the outright horse carriage ban. He also seems very soft on unions which worries me a bit. But Andrew Cuomo did surprise me (before the anti gun stance), so maybe if he scales back the far left stuff, I can deal with deblassio too.

If all the lobbyists can agree to a spirit of bipartisanship where it relates to handling critical issues concerning us as New Yorkers which are unique to us and us only, then I can say safely that this administration can work. As Grand Concourse has said, we will have to wait and see how this one turns out as it progresses. I mean look at what's happening in the US Congress? We certainly would not want this sort of infighting and bickering to occur in the Albany either.

It's bad as it is now and well, improvements are expected to be made by us everyday NYers in terms of leadership over a global power city. I think what I am trying to say is that I could care less what political affiliation you are as a person serving the greater need of New York, make it work to the benefit of all not a select few and I will be content.

However it will be difficult to please everyone straight across all economic classes. We may have to bite the bullet and show some support. It is what it is, the majority of New Yorkers wanted this man in office. Let's see how he performs during his tenure.

For two long decades the views of the right have been ignorantly catered to, leaving the commoners to otherwise fend for themselves. For twenty years the gap on inequality throughout city residents has widened, exposing the great divide that exists and has only managed to grow further.

It's been too damn long, it's about time for residents to usher in a new wave of leadership.

For two long decades the views of the right have been ignorantly catered to, leaving the commoners to otherwise fend for themselves. For twenty years the gap on inequality throughout city residents has widened, exposing the great divide that exists and has only managed to grow further.

It's been too damn long, it's about time for residents to usher in a new wave of leadership.

Thats one of the major issues right there! The problems coming from a clash between interests between economic classes. That needs to stop, totally agree, compromises may need to be made here.

All I know is de Blasio talks a good game, but most of what he wants to do costs money and that means more taxes for somebody... Doesn't like "Stop & Frisk".  Ok, fine... How will the streets remain safe unless the administration spends much more money to hire more cops?  He wants to expand pre-k... Sure... More money... Wants to create affordable housing... Sure... More money for that too... This guy is looking to do nothing more than un-do the good deeds that Bloomberg did, particularly continuing to get rid the endless handouts for welfare recipients that existed during the Dinkins' period that Giuliani came in and got under control.  So in short fewer people will be working, more handouts will be coming and the upper middle class and working professionals such as myself will be paying more... The same people he calls "rich"...  <_<  Sounds like a familiar theme from someone else who said he was going to tax the "wealthy".

All I know is de Blasio talks a good game, but most of what he wants to do costs money and that means more taxes for somebody... Doesn't like "Stop & Frisk".  Ok, fine... How will the streets remain safe unless the administration spends much more money to hire more cops?  He wants to expand pre-k... Sure... More money... Wants to create affordable housing... Sure... More money for that too... This guy is looking to do nothing more than un-do the good deeds that Bloomberg did, particularly continuing to get rid the endless handouts for welfare recipients that existed during the Dinkins' period that Giuliani came in and got under control.  So in short fewer people will be working, more handouts will be coming and the upper middle class and working professionals such as myself will be paying more... The same people he calls "rich"...  <_<  Sounds like a familiar theme from someone else who said he was going to tax the "wealthy".

Can't let the poor die in the streets either however. We need to keep that in mind.

I suppose some would rather the disadvantage not be given the ability to rise from their current low standing. It must be as that's what the past leadership had wanted.

Can't let the poor die in the streets either however. We need to keep that in mind.

The poor have been moving elsewhere to places that they can afford... Pretty simple concept... Supply and demand... With Obamacare coming into play, how in the heck are companies supposed to pay workers more when they're paying out of the nose through tax hikes which is essentially what Obamacare is?  Therefore this is what you get... More and more people dependent upon "gubment" to "fix" their situation....

Anywho, looks like we're off to a fantastic start under this mayor... Wild night last night...  <_<

NYC violence takes no holiday as 2 die amid spate of shootings, stabbings 
A 22-year-old man became the city’s first 2014 homicide victim after being stabbed with a screwdriver during a fight in South Jamaica, Queens, early Wednesday. Also, a 17-year-old boy was fatally shot in the chest in Brooklyn. Comments (6) BY JOE STEPANSKY / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS PUBLISHED: WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 1, 2014, 11:46 AM UPDATED: WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 1, 2014, 11:51 AM

str.jpg
DANNY LUDICI FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Police investigate the first homicide of the year in Queens. A 22-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene.

A spate of violence ushered in the new year, leaving two people dead, six stabbed, eight shot and one pistol-whipped, the NYPD said Wednesday.

A 22-year-old man became the first New York City homicide victim of 2014 when he was stabbed to death with a screwdriver during a fight in South Jamaica, Queens. The victim, who has a history of arrests on robbery and assault charges, was attacked at 1:14 a.m. in a house on 113th Ave. near Sutphin Blvd. He was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

Police were hunting the killer early Wednesday, but did not immediately have a description.

str.jpg
DANNY LUDICI FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS The Queens stabbing victim was attacked at 1:14 a.m. in a house on 113th Ave. near Sutphin Blvd. Police investigate at the scene.

Just 16 minutes into the new year, a 23-year-old man was pistol-whipped on Soundview Ave. in the Bronxdale Houses in the Bronx. He was rushed to Jacobi Medical Center with nonlife-threatening wounds. He was not cooperating with police, cops said.

Also in the Bronx, a 37-year-old man was stabbed in the chest at Teller Ave. near W. 169th St. at 1:48 a.m., police said. He was taken to Lincoln Medical Center with a nonlife-threatening wound. Cops arrested a 35-year-old man believed to be responsible for the crime soon after the incident.

Just blocks from Times Square in Midtown, a 26-year-old man was stabbed in the back shortly after 2 a.m. in the Culture Club on W. 39th St., police said. Emergency responders rushed him to Bellevue Hospital Center, where he was in stable condition. His assailant was still on the loose.

str.jpg DANNY LUDICI FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Police investigate the Queens homicide. The victim had a history of robbery and assault arrests.

In the first recorded shooting of 2014, a 32-year-old man was wounded in the back on Sumpter St. near Thomas S. Boyland St. in Bushwick, Brooklyn, at 2:49 a.m., police said. He was rushed to Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center, police said.

Just five minutes later, at Bushwick Ave. and Pilling St., gunshots again rang out. This time, a 17-year-old boy was fatally shot in the chest by an unknown assailant. The unidentified victim was taken to Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center, where he died, police said. Cops were searching for the shooter, who apparently fled in a dark-colored sedan, going north on Bushwick Ave., police said.

RELATED: NYC MURDERS DROP BY 20% IN 2013 BUT NOT EVERYONE FEELS SAFE

str.jpg DANNY LUDICI FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS No arrests have yet been made in the Queens homicide, and police have not released a description of the suspect. The NYPD investigates at the scene.

At 3:50 a.m. in the Bronx, a 25-year-old man took a slug to the thigh at E. 178th St. and Belmont Ave., police said. He was listed in stable condition at St. Barnabas Hospital.

On Staten Island, a 21-year-old man was shot in the leg on Park Hill Ave. near Osgood Ave. just before 4 a.m., police said. Emergency responders took him to Richmond University Medical Center.

Then in Brownsville, Brooklyn, a 28-year-old man was slashed on the chin during a fight in an apartment on Williams Ave. near Dumont Ave. at 4:18 a.m., police said. He refused to cooperate with police after his arrival at Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center, cops said.

str.jpg
DANNY LUDICI FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Police investigate at the scene of the Queens homicide. Elsewhere in Queens, a 25-year-old man was stabbed in the right shoulder at 4:30 a.m.

Soon after, in Elmhurst, Queens, a 25-year-old man was stabbed in the right shoulder at 4:30 a.m. on 92nd St. at 53rd Ave. during a domestic dispute, police said. He was brought to Elmhurst Medical Center, where he was in stable condition. A 24-year-old man was arrested at the scene.

In the Melrose neighborhood of the Bronx, a 24-year-old man was stabbed in the torso during a 4:40 a.m. fight, police said. The victim was treated at Lincoln Medical Center, where he was in stable condition. The shooter was at large, police said.

In Washington Heights, a 29-year-old man was stabbed in the stomach during a fight at W. 175th St. and Broadway at 4:45 a.m., police said. The victim was taken to St. Luke's Hospital, where he was in stable condition, police said.

At 4:54 a.m., a 34-year-old man was shot in the stomach at St. Johns Place near Schenectady Ave. in Brooklyn, police said. The victim was listed in stable condition at Kings County Hospital. His alleged shooter was chased down and nabbed by police, who also recovered a firearm from the suspect.

About 5 a.m., where a 19-year-old man was shot once in the thigh at Valentine Ave. near E. 187th St. in Melrose, the Bronx, police said. Emergency responders brought him to St. Barnabas Hospital, where his injury was described as not life-threatening. The shooter was still at large.

Five minutes later, at 5:05 a.m., a triple shooting broke out in a nightclub in Flatbush, Brooklyn. A 28-year-old man was shot in the leg and a 30-year-old woman and another man were both wounded when an unknown gunman opened fire at Temptations nightclub on Church Ave., police said. All three victims were taken to Kings County Hospital in stable condition, police said. The gunman was still at large, police said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/2-die-spate-nyc-holiday-violence-article-1.1563394#ixzz2pCGDaAOP

And how the f**k is this violence the fault of DeBlasio?

Talk about desperate.

Is someone else besides de Blasio the mayor now?? Last I checked he was against "Stop & Frisk" so let's see how well his plan works... So far not off to a good start... It's a well known fact that the city has cut back on the police force for years due to budgetary constraints, so obviously the only way to deal with crime is to hire more cops if you don't favor Stop & Frisk... That needs more money... Ahem...

Is someone else besides de Blasio the mayor now?? Last I checked he was against "Stop & Frisk" so let's see how well his plan works... So far not off to a good start... It's a well known fact that the city has cut back on the police force for years due to budgetary constraints, so obviously the only way to deal with crime is to hire more cops if you don't favor Stop & Frisk... That needs more money... Ahem...

Homeboy, I'm not wasting my f**king effort on this matter. You are blowing it to great proportions.

It was New Years Eve last night,  people got a bit a bit inebriated, tensions flew and it did get out of hand. That's no fault of anyone. You have resorted to mudslinging in an attempt to bring politics into it.

Now, since you like to talk about stop and frisk why don't you go down to 50th precinct and asked to get felt up by your fellow officers, since you seem to grow ecstatic over the premise.

Uh huh... A wild day at that... If crime spikes in this city let's see who gets the blame for that.  All of the anti Stop & Frisk folks will be calling for more cops which will mean higher taxes...

I think that has more to do with the tensions that would naturally come about because of New Years Eve if you think about it. We both know that the holiday season brings along with it tension which results in spikes with crime. Now why would anit stop and frisk advocates call for more cops? Sort of defeats the purpose you think? Lost me on that one.....

I think that has more to do with the tensions that would naturally come about because of New Years Eve if you think about it. We both know that the holiday season brings along with it tension which results in spikes with crime. Now why would anit stop and frisk advocates call for more cops? Sort of defeats the purpose you think? Lost me on that one.....

Pay no mind. He clearly has a Stockholm fetish based around stop and frisk.

Homeboy, I'm not wasting my f**king effort on this matter. You are blowing it to great proportions.

It was New Years Eve last night,  people got a bit a bit inebriated, tensions flew and it did get out of hand. That's no fault of anyone. You have resorted to mudslinging in an attempt to bring politics into it.

Now, since you like to talk about stop and frisk why don't you go down to 50th precinct and asked to get felt up by your fellow officers, since you seem to grow ecstatic over the premise.

lol... Very cute... 

Not really... Stop and Frisk allows for fewer officers to be present.  Stop and Frisk opponents usually argue that the city should just hire more cops to ensure that crime doesn't increase.

Not really... Stop and Frisk allows for fewer officers to be present.  Stop and Frisk opponents usually argue that the city should just hire more cops to ensure that crime doesn't increase.

Well thats the idea with revised training. Then the NYPD officers, more adept at handling community-sensitive issues will become more effective law enforcement officials as a result because they will gain the stronger trust of the community.

Archived