Question about 191 St, 181 St (1), 168 St (1), and Clark St Stations

BrooklynIRT

Have there ever been plans to make it so that people could get in and out of these stations without having to utilize elevators?

No. The stations are too deep for stairs or escalators, and even if they wanted to, mining a new shaft to the surface for stairs and escalators would be very, very expensive.

What exactly are people at these stations supposed to do in the event of a fire, anyhow?

I would love to know the answer to that as well.  <_<

There are emergency stairs at Clark St, though. (But they are only for emergencies. If I have ever seen access doors to these stairs, I do not recall. I have only used Clark St once in my entire life, and that was last year. It has been said that those stairs are narrow and poorly lit.) Not sure about the Washington Heights (1) stations.

The emergency stairs are good if there is a fire, but they will not help a person who is stuck inside a failed elevator. Such a person has to wait for rescuers to come..  <_<

I have only used Clark St once in my entire life, and that was last year. It has been said that those stairs are narrow and poorly lit.)

It would suck to be obese and stuck in a deep station with long narrow stairs…

they really should have at least one public stair. it healthy for you. also i don't like to use elevator in subway because of no where to run . i really don't trust their elevator. i got stuck once at work for like 30 minutes. it was lonely and very claustobic for me. 

Each of the elevator stations has at least set of emergency stairs. Fire code requires it. Heck, Amtrak got in trouble a few years back for not having enough exits in the East River Tunnels.

Each of the elevator stations has at least set of emergency stairs. Fire code requires it. Heck, Amtrak got in trouble a few years back for not having enough exits in the East River Tunnels.

This is correct... I've seem them at the 181st street station too.  It would not be a pretty sight to use them as it's in an area that looks quite disgusting (then again that whole station looks pretty bad), but they're there nevertheless.  Whenever I have used 168th or 181st street I'm always concerned about them getting stuck because they're so old and worn out.  At 191st street you have the option of using that tunnel, which is a tad bit better, though not by much.

they really should have at least one public stair. it healthy for you. also i don't like to use elevator in subway because of no where to run . i really don't trust their elevator. i got stuck once at work for like 30 minutes. it was lonely and very claustobic for me. 
The problem is...these stations weren't built that way. The (MTA) would spend a good couple millions in building them.Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Each of the elevator stations has at least set of emergency stairs. Fire code requires it. Heck, Amtrak got in trouble a few years back for not having enough exits in the East River Tunnels.This is correct... I've seem them at the 181st street station too.  It would not be a pretty sight to use them as it's in an area that looks quite disgusting (then again that whole station looks pretty bad), but they're there nevertheless.  Whenever I have used 168th or 181st street I'm always concerned about them getting stuck because they're so old and worn out.  At 191st street you have the option of using that tunnel, which is a tad bit better, though not by much.
Ima agree with you on that one. From sources the 168th Station closed to modernize the elevators in like 1997 but the elevators are HEAVILY used every day. The stations themselves are OK... The 191 St station was renewed like 10 years ago and the 181 St in 1999-2000. The stairs are never used so they accumulate dust and gunk..Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

The problem is...these stations weren't built that way. The (MTA) would spend a good couple millions in building them. Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Ima agree with you on that one. From sources the 168th Station closed to modernize the elevators in like 1997 but the elevators are HEAVILY used every day. The stations themselves are OK... The 191 St station was renewed like 10 years ago and the 181 St in 1999-2000. The stairs are never used so they accumulate dust and gunk.. Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

lol... They appear to be "used" alright, just not for what they were created for...  <_<

• 3 weeks later...

They really should clean those stairs, used or not used. I think VGB meant 168th, not 181st. 168th needs the cleaning badly. As for 191st, I never knew there was another entrance/exit EXCEPT for that tunnel, which could use a cleaning. Never used Clark Street before.

Archived