East River tolls, Midtown traffic charges proposed for $1.5 billion boost to roads, transit system

Harry

Also, will more people drive to upper Manhattan to find parking and take the subway downtown? Will the FDR and Henry Hudson Parkway have backups at the last exit before entering the CBD?

Well this is one of the problems that people fear can happen, and there needs to be a solution to it.

If you truly believe that they aren't going to cook the books then I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn for you.  The books are cooked with the lockbox.  If that amount is anywhere near what you say it will be raided both by the City and the State   What is lockbox today is open season tomorrow with the signing of a pen. Remember no matter how many times you spray paint a leopard it still has spots.

I'd also like to point out that the payroll tax is bringing in just as much money, but there's no evidence that the state has been diverting any of that money.

To deny a perfectly legitimate funding proposal for a broke authority because of allegations that have no evidence behind them is just fearmongering.

I'd also like to point out that the payroll tax is bringing in just as much money, but there's no evidence that the state has been diverting any of that money.

To deny a perfectly legitimate funding proposal for a broke authority because of allegations that have no evidence behind them is just fearmongering.

Not really. The MTA is broke because the State can't fund it. The State is broke because it became a police state and thru regulation and taxation killed the goose. Some have said upstate NY is a rustbelt and that's the reason it doesn't effect the city.Only thing is, what keeps the city afloat, financial and the Asians..Both sides, meaning Dems and Repubs, say NYC is dependent on 1200 individuals and if these 1200 move then NYC goes belly up.  This isn't 74 when you had a strong financial NY state which could bail you out.  Having age also one has a memory and I remember when the City was going to tax Wall street and they said screw it we are going to Jersey and the City backed up.  Detroit didn't happen in a day except this is on both State and City levels.  I'm a firm believer the people get the government they deserve. The audits sound great except the only findings ever found is when the State or the City is screwed not when they are doing the screwing and you only find that out via court cases.  When Limbaugh said I had enough and moved to Florida it cost the City and State close to 50 million.in  tax money.  Jobs were lost and tax inflow became outflow. Budgets weren't cut so somebody had to make up the shortfall.and someone did, you. Why do you think Cuomo told I'll give you the money for the preschools , don't tax even though he doesn't have the money. How many of those 1200 have left?  About 40 and that makes 2 billion.shortfall and what you need.  

Not really. The MTA is broke because the State can't fund it. The State is broke because it became a police state and thru regulation and taxation killed the goose. Some have said upstate NY is a rustbelt and that's the reason it doesn't effect the city.Only thing is, what keeps the city afloat, financial and the Asians..Both sides, meaning Dems and Repubs, say NYC is dependent on 1200 individuals and if these 1200 move then NYC goes belly up.  This isn't 74 when you had a strong financial NY state which could bail you out.  Having age also one has a memory and I remember when the City was going to tax Wall street and they said screw it we are going to Jersey and the City backed up.  Detroit didn't happen in a day except this is on both State and City levels.  I'm a firm believer the people get the government they deserve. The audits sound great except the only findings ever found is when the State or the City is screwed not when they are doing the screwing and you only find that out via court cases.  When Limbaugh said I had enough and moved to Florida it cost the City and State close to 50 million.in  tax money.  Jobs were lost and tax inflow became outflow. Budgets weren't cut so somebody had to make up the shortfall.and someone did, you. Why do you think Cuomo told I'll give you the money for the preschools , don't tax even though he doesn't have the money. How many of those 1200 have left?  About 40 and that makes 2 billion.shortfall and what you need.  

Who has ever said anything about "1200 individuals?" In any case, some of the banks tried moving to Stamford in the '90s, but they're moving back to the city because they didn't actually save money and their employees hate it. You put your company where you can find employees, not the other way around. New York City is still the area in the metropolitan region that's the easiest to get to, and Lower Manhattan is also the home of all the transatlantic internet and communications cables. In a world where profitability in the stock market depends on mere milliseconds and billions of dollars are spent on new transatlantic fiber optic cables that reduce communications travel time by milliseconds, New York still has quite the advantage as the continent's financial hub (unlike the upstate cities with a manufacturing sector that had to compete with other countries.)

New Jersey and Connecticut's development as financial hubs will always be limited by the fact that transportation links to these areas are already saturated during the rush hour. If you don't have the transport capacity for more jobs, there simply won't be more jobs. As for other metropolitan areas, no other city on the continent has the sort of labor market and infrastructure that we do. Chicago is suffering from worse problems, San Francisco has worse regulations, Los Angeles has worse regulations and worse traffic, and the southern cities have poor communications infrastructure.

Who has ever said anything about "1200 individuals?" In any case, some of the banks tried moving to Stamford in the '90s, but they're moving back to the city because they didn't actually save money and their employees hate it. You put your company where you can find employees, not the other way around. New York City is still the area in the metropolitan region that's the easiest to get to, and Lower Manhattan is also the home of all the transatlantic internet and communications cables. In a world where profitability in the stock market depends on mere milliseconds and billions of dollars are spent on new transatlantic fiber optic cables that reduce communications travel time by milliseconds, New York still has quite the advantage as the continent's financial hub (unlike the upstate cities with a manufacturing sector that had to compete with other countries.)

New Jersey and Connecticut's development as financial hubs will always be limited by the fact that transportation links to these areas are already saturated during the rush hour. If you don't have the transport capacity for more jobs, there simply won't be more jobs. As for other metropolitan areas, no other city on the continent has the sort of labor market and infrastructure that we do. Chicago is suffering from worse problems, San Francisco has worse regulations, Los Angeles has worse regulations and worse traffic, and the southern cities have poor communications infrastructure.

A bank can move anywhere and so can the brokerage houses.  About 5 years ago an individual invented a system where, which is being built,  microwave burst messages can cross the country in milliseconds. Its being financed by the brokerage houses and the banks.  Anywhere there is a Fed Reserve bank that's a regional finance sector so Dallas or Charlotte  which would have the trained employees could be used.  The Texas Railroad commission arraigned some type of deal where west coast banks Bank of America and Wells Fargo and east coast banks are moving assets to Dallas.area.

Now Stamford is one of the worst places possible as its already congested, but the areas around Danbury would be excellent.as land is available and so is an interstate plus all roads north out of the city hit that Interstate.  The only area which you could build in New Jersey is in the meadowland area as access to road, rail and bus congest in that area. .

New Jersey and Connecticut's development as financial hubs will always be limited by the fact that transportation links to these areas are already saturated during the rush hour. If you don't have the transport capacity for more jobs, there simply won't be more jobs. As for other metropolitan areas, no other city on the continent has the sort of labor market and infrastructure that we do. Chicago is suffering from worse problems, San Francisco has worse regulations, Los Angeles has worse regulations and worse traffic, and the southern cities have poor communications infrastructure.j

just call yourself multicity master dude. Or dataman. Datapanda 

As long as they don't charge Verrazano prices, I don't really care then.

I love how people seem to forget that the one way toll on the Verrazanno is the same amount you'd pay on other bridges where tolls are payed both ways. Well, at least on the Bronx-Whitestone, Throgs Neck, and RFK Bridges; Hugh L Carey and Queens-Midtown Tunnels.

I love how people seem to forget that the one way toll on the Verrazanno is the same amount you'd pay on other bridges where tolls are payed both ways. Well, at least on the Bronx-Whitestone, Throgs Neck, and RFK Bridges; Hugh L Carey and Queens-Midtown Tunnels.

I love how people assume the justification of a post before thinking what the person is trying to say before commenting. I rarely down-vote posts, but you obviously don't know what I meant by posting that post.

Let's break it down for you.

If the already-free crossings had the one-way charges that are the same as Verrazano's crossing, I would definitely not drive into Manhattan as often as I already have. Why do I say this? When was the last time I crossed the Verrazano because of their price, let alone even just getting into Staten Island? Probably last year.

A bank can move anywhere and so can the brokerage houses.  About 5 years ago an individual invented a system where, which is being built,  microwave burst messages can cross the country in milliseconds. Its being financed by the brokerage houses and the banks.  Anywhere there is a Fed Reserve bank that's a regional finance sector so Dallas or Charlotte  which would have the trained employees could be used.  The Texas Railroad commission arraigned some type of deal where west coast banks Bank of America and Wells Fargo and east coast banks are moving assets to Dallas.area.

Now Stamford is one of the worst places possible as its already congested, but the areas around Danbury would be excellent.as land is available and so is an interstate plus all roads north out of the city hit that Interstate.  The only area which you could build in New Jersey is in the meadowland area as access to road, rail and bus congest in that area. .

Danbury is too far from the rest of the Metro area; North Jersey, Suffolk, and Nassau are not going to depopulate just so that there are going to have easier commutes to brokerage houses in Danbury, and like most areas in the United States, they probably will not densify enough to absorb even a tenth of the city's business. In today's world, much of the trading volume on the exchanges is due to quant trading, which is basically using computer servers to buy large amounts of shares in bulk and sell them whenever the price goes up by a cent or two; if you do it in large enough volumes, that's millions of dollars. It's already impacted the market in many ways, most notably with the flash crash that caused the Dow to drop by 1000 points in a day due to an algorithm error.

However, because of this strategy milliseconds is now the difference between millions in profit and millions in the red, so the brokerages have to be located in areas that have the quickest connections to London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Dubai. It just so happens that the transatlantic and transcontinental cables on the East Coast all start in Lower Manhattan, so the city will always have its massive infrastructural advantage. After all, London is still the leading commercial hub of the Old World, even though it has more taxes, fees, and regulations than New York does. In fact, they already instituted congestion pricing, but the major companies in London have not fled to the hills.

Tolls are Taxes. Plain and simple.

How do you feel about the subway fare, then - or about any other price charged for goods or services?

If only all the pro-public transportation people here can see this post before totally abolishing cars as a form of transportation.

Who said anything about totally abolishing cars?

What about Truck drivers who have to make deliveries in Manhattan? 

With traffic volumes reduced, they'll be able to make their deliveries faster, saving time and therefore money.

At the same time, truck drivers traveling from Brooklyn or Queens to New Jersey (and beyond) will be incentivized to avoid congested Manhattan rather than to pass through it, as they are now.

Those bridges are special for the simple reason they are 100 years old or better and have been free. Brooklyn would of never joined the City except for those bridges.  Put tolls on these bridges and New York becomes unique as no other city in the world.  You have to pay one way or the other to enter or exit center city.

Brooklyn joined the City of New York in 1898. The only bridge connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan at the time was the Brooklyn Bridge, which charged a toll from when it opened in 1883 until 1911. The Manhattan, Williamsburg, and Queensboro bridges also initially charged tolls.

Plenty of cities charge tolls to those who choose to drive into their CBD's.

Good luck to all the small businesses in Queens and Brooklyn (and Long Island) that make deliveries in Manhattan. 

Good luck to them right now, when deliveries are slow and unpredictable due to heavy traffic.

The asthma isn't from the traffic and while I agree some of the stuff they put into gasoline for pollution purposes may aggravate it, its not the traffic causing it. 

http://news.discovery.com/human/health/does-traffic-pollution-cause-asthma-130322.htm

That would kill any driving to the CBD for my family. No point in doing it if you can't get in or out without a toll.

Then don't. (Is that supposed to be a threat?)

How do you feel about the subway fare, then - or about any other price charged for goods or services?

Who said anything about totally abolishing cars?

With traffic volumes reduced, they'll be able to make their deliveries faster, saving time and therefore money.

At the same time, truck drivers traveling from Brooklyn or Queens to New Jersey (and beyond) will be incentivized to avoid congested Manhattan rather than to pass through it, as they are now.

Brooklyn joined the City of New York in 1898. The only bridge connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan at the time was the Brooklyn Bridge, which charged a toll from when it opened in 1883 until 1911. The Manhattan, Williamsburg, and Queensboro bridges also initially charged tolls.

Plenty of cities charge tolls to those who choose to drive into their CBD's.

Good luck to them right now, when deliveries are slow and unpredictable due to heavy traffic.

http://news.discovery.com/human/health/does-traffic-pollution-cause-asthma-130322.htm

Then don't. (Is that supposed to be a threat?)

The bridges had a toll till they were paid off which was a major expense at that time.  Now what am I paying gasoline taxes for to the city just to give money to the city coffers to use as they please or to maintain the roads.  Yes the toll is a tax when you are using it for something else other than the bridge.  The fare on the transit is fully kept by transit and not spent on parks or something else and is a true fare.  The quickest in both time and mileage to I-78 is the Holland Tunnel via NJTP.  I don't see or have seen the city speed up the traffic towards the tunnel in any way over 50 years of driving..

Now I don't go by studies for anything which does not give causal effect.  By pollution everyone in Beijing should be dead.but they are dancing around. Second since the 60's car pollution has gone down drastically but asthma has gone up. Maybe we don't need to breath clean air at all via that result.  Look something else is causing it and probably a plastic or chemical introduced in the 60's which is causing the havoc but gone widespread.  

Archived