Riverdale man moving after racially-charged messages are vandalized on his car

Turbo19

I never said he was a ghetto person, but he did live in the ghetto.  Norwood went to hell years ago and that's no secret.  Even the article said he moved to Riverdale to live in a safe neighborhood..  The problem isn't our community.  The problem lies with him, which is why he's moving.  Good bye and good riddance.  Like I said, it's funny that with there being a few blacks that live in his building he's the "only one" (whoa is me as usual <_<) that's being picked on... Please... This guy is just looking for a quick buck, and I hope the Whitehall fights this tooth and nail.   He's renting there anyway so it isn't like he can afford to buy property there.  Figures.

But you're making some negative assumptions about the person in the first sentence. You're clearly saying that he's ghetto because he used to live in Norwood. Then, you go on to make another assumption that he's trying make money off of this incident in the last sentence. It seems to be that Riverdale is the problem. Having a few blacks living in the neighborhood isn't something to be proud of, it implies that there are some racial problems within the community and the locals don't want to talk about them because it'll shatter their rose tinted view of the neighborhood.

But you're making some negative assumptions about the person in the first sentence. You're clearly saying that he's ghetto because he used to live in Norwood. Then, you go on to make another assumption that he's trying make money off of this incident in the last sentence. It seems to be that Riverdale is the problem. Having a few blacks living in the neighborhood isn't something to be proud of, it implies that there are some racial problems within the community and the locals don't want to talk about them because it'll shatter their rose tinted view of the neighborhood.

It doesn't imply anything because historically this area has never had a high amount of blacks just like other parts of the city.  I'm a local here and I don't think we have any sort of problems, aside from this guy causing a ruckus unnecessarily.   Blacks don't have to be in every neighborhood in high numbers in order for there to be "diversity".  Riverdale is a very diverse community, with various ethnic whites, mixed folks, a small amount of Asians, some Latinos, and a small amount of blacks.  This neighborhood has always been predominantly white because of its location, being close to Manhattan, and elevated offering great views, and most importantly its wealth.  That's like saying that the Upper East or Upper West Side isn't diverse just because they're predominantly white nabes with similar stats with regards to blacks.  The two aforementioned areas by the way are whiter than Riverdale is at over 80%.  These days, any white majority neighborhood is viewed as being "wrong", which is ridiculous.  Folks like Spike Lee can make comments about whites taking over black neighborhoods and he's not viewed as racist, but let it be the other way around... You know what will happen... lol

Folks like Spike Lee can make comments about whites taking over black neighborhoods and he's not viewed as racist, but let it be the other way around... You know what will happen... lol

Gonna stop you right there.

While Spike Lee was a bit over-the-top with his tirade, he's damn right about the gentrification of the area. Once privileged people with money start taking over these old, dilapidated properties and building bigger, better things in these lots, is the only way you're going to bring up property values. Black neighborhoods stay dilapidated because there's never any money to make improvements. When a Black person does come across some money, they're not going to stay in the "ghetto", they're going to get as far away as possible. Even if it means living with the whites. Why bother trying to fix your own house in the ghetto up when everyone else can't? You're only going to make yourself a target.

This guy only wanted to live in a peaceful neighborhood, but some people just can't win when it comes to living life as they see fit. They must "adhere" to the stereotypes that are thrown about in order to make others feel better about themselves. Period.

Gonna stop you right there.

While Spike Lee was a bit over-the-top with his tirade, he's damn right about the gentrification of the area. Once privileged people with money start taking over these old, dilapidated properties and building bigger, better things in these lots, is the only way you're going to bring up property values. Black neighborhoods stay dilapidated because there's never any money to make improvements. When a Black person does come across some money, they're not going to stay in the "ghetto", they're going to get as far away as possible. Even if it means living with the whites. Why bother trying to fix your own house in the ghetto up when everyone else can't? You're only going to make yourself a target.

This guy only wanted to live in a peaceful neighborhood, but some people just can't win when it comes to living life as they see fit. They must "adhere" to the stereotypes that are thrown about in order to make others feel better about themselves. Period.

So then what about Harlem? Plenty of successful blacks that have stayed there. It just makes no sense to me that he as a black man would move to predominantly white neighborhood without doing any homework to get a feel for the neighborhood to see if he would feel comfortable and I think that's the real issue here.  I mean that's like me moving to Harlem. I know damn well some folks don't like me up there and therefore I would never move there because I stick out up there and that's just the way it is.  With the type of profession he has and the way he's dressed, I don't know why he's shocked that he would be stopped in an upscale luxury building like the Whitehall.  Riverdale is compromised of mainly white collar workers in managerial positions (i.e. doctors, project managers, and other important positions).

Occupational employment in Riverdaletop White Collar 82.18 % Blue Collar 17.83 %

Source: http://www.point2homes.com/US/Neighborhood/NY/Bronx/Riverdale-Demographics.html

No matter where you come from, everyone deserves a shot at a better life.

Yes, but it's no secret that certain areas are more conducive to certain types of professions or lifestyles.  There are certain neighborhoods for example where lots of city workers move because they want a safe, family-oriented but also affordable neighborhood.  Then you have neighborhoods that are more upscale and more conducive to other types of lifestyles.  There are parts of the city that would be conducive to this man's lifestyle if he's looking for a safe area where he would feel more welcome and not stick out.  I just don't think Riverdale is one of them.

No matter where you come from, everyone deserves a shot at a better life.

There is a saying when in Rome do as the Romans do. You keep your mouth shut and watch and listen to what is around you. You don't make remarks or comments even offhandedly.  About 50 years ago I went to Joplin, Mo to visit somebody and wore a religious medal around my neck and told to ditch it as this was Klan country and after Blacks, Catholics were next on the hit list with them.  What marks a man in New York, his language and speech.and attitude not color or religion.  It wasn't that he had a truck but something he said or did which fired up the neighbors which he may not even be aware of.  Its like swearing accidentally at a church social and expect it wasn't noticed but no more invites come. So it was noticed.

I helped a number of black friends and coworkers move into white areas with the Roman remark. Play the game til well known then beat your own path  Sex religion and politics are still topics to stay away from til well known. Leave the habits and mannerisms of the old neighborhood there and pick up the new ones. No one is denying his right to a better life but manners and politeness goes a long way to smooth the way.

Yes, but it's no secret that certain areas are more conducive to certain types of professions or lifestyles.  There are certain neighborhoods for example where lots of city workers move because they want a safe, family-oriented but also affordable neighborhood.  Then you have neighborhoods that are more upscale and more conducive to other types of lifestyles.  There are parts of the city that would be conducive to this man's lifestyle if he's looking for a safe area where he would feel more welcome and not stick out.  I just don't think Riverdale is one of them.

So glad you're not in real estate, you'd never sell shit.

There is a saying when in Rome do as the Romans do. You keep your mouth shut and watch and listen to what is around you. You don't make remarks or comments even offhandedly.  About 50 years ago I went to Joplin, Mo to visit somebody and wore a religious medal around my neck and told to ditch it as this was Klan country and after Blacks, Catholics were next on the hit list with them.  What marks a man in New York, his language and speech.and attitude not color or religion.  It wasn't that he had a truck but something he said or did which fired up the neighbors which he may not even be aware of.  Its like swearing accidentally at a church social and expect it wasn't noticed but no more invites come. So it was noticed.

I helped a number of black friends and coworkers move into white areas with the Roman remark. Play the game til well known then beat your own path  Sex religion and politics are still topics to stay away from til well known. Leave the habits and mannerisms of the old neighborhood there and pick up the new ones. No one is denying his right to a better life but manners and politeness goes a long way to smooth the way.

In order for this theory to play out one would have to assume he was being a nuisance, and nowhere is that formally stated. As it is it's just a generalization and insinuation that comes off as crass.

You can be a nuisance and not know it.  Look he lived there for 3 years and made no friends which were reported.  There are other blacks living there but no other incidents have been reported.  If this was a pure racial problem why are the others still living there.  So something happened which is not reported or possibly known but whatever it was, it ticked people off big time.  .

No one knows what actually happened. However, something must of happened that caused him to leave Riverdale and for good this time. The straw that broke the camel's back as they say.

-As a citizen the man is free to reside where ever he very well chooses.

Everyone in America is under the illusion that individual rights are respected over group "rights." Legally, this man can live wherever he wants and with whomever as long as it's not breaking the law, but like anywhere else in the world people will find ways to yank the welcome mat from under you if they don't want to associate with you. From the common point of view, this man did nothing wrong, but to this group, he did them wrong by being black. My advice to this man is to just move out, lest he wants to be like Arudo Debito (white man who moved to Japan and renounced his US citizenship, then became a nuisance in his new country by complaining loudly about the Japanese not liking him). It's best for everyone.

Everyone in America is under the illusion that individual rights are respected over group "rights." Legally, this man can live wherever he wants and with whomever as long as it's not breaking the law, but like anywhere else in the world people will find ways to yank the welcome mat from under you if they don't want to associate with you. From the common point of view, this man did nothing wrong, but to this group, he did them wrong by being black. My advice to this man is to just move out, lest he wants to be like Arudo Debito (white man who moved to Japan and renounced his US citizenship, then became a nuisance in his new country by complaining loudly about the Japanese not liking him). It's best for everyone.

I would basically agree with you except one thing I learned over the years.  People even when victims lie by omission or commission to make themselves look good.  Being black is the cover . 

Just because Riverdale is a predominately White neighborhood doesn't mean there's something wrong with it.  Some people believe this guy is just making this up.  I for one don't get why he would move from Norwood (a real dump in the Bronx) to an upper middle class neighborhood like Riverdale, knowing the demographics of the neighborhood and then complain about how he never felt welcome.  He as a black man chose to move here to a predominately White neighborhood.  How in the world does one buy property in a neighborhood without being certain that they'll feel comfortable there?  Just boggles my mind.  If he wanted to move to a safer neighborhood, he could've stayed in the Bronx somewhere and could've still moved to "safe" neighborhood.  Riverdale presents a much different way of living, and I just don't think that he was ready for living in a more quieter, suburban like setting coming from Norwood, a crime ridden, urban ghetto.

I stand corrected... I meant to say rent in a neighborhood not buy...

I stand corrected... I meant to say rent in a neighborhood not buy...

Why bother? It doesn't change the interpretation of what you said.

Besides, it was evident that he was on a lease the entire time.

Why bother? It doesn't change the interpretation of what you said.

Besides, it was evident that he was on a lease the entire time.

No it wasn't... The Whitehall is a luxury co-op building, not a rental building.  He may be subletting from the owner, which is common in Riverdale.

No it wasn't... The Whitehall is a luxury co-op building, not a rental building.  He may be subletting from the owner, which is common in Riverdale.

interesting, as I just inquired online and via phone and The Whitehall has both rental units and co-op units, some owned by third party shareholders.

Now, you live in RIverdale and you obviously didn't know that, or you wouldn't have said the contrary. Well it goes to show how ignorance can get the better of you...

interesting, as I just inquired online and via phone and The Whitehall has both rental units and co-op units, some owned by third party shareholders.

Now, you live in RIverdale and you obviously didn't know that, or you wouldn't have said the contrary. Well it goes to show how ignorance can get the better of you...

There's nothing to know, as this is normal.  My point was that it is primarily a co-op first and foremost... In other words, the building portrays itself as a building looking for owners rather than renters.  A co-op especially wants owners since you are buying shares of the building, therefore the owner-to-renter ratio must always be higher and in proportion accordingly.  A co-op or a condo for that matter wants owners first and foremost because too many renters can put a building in jeopardy when trying to attract buyers who need to be approved for mortgages, as there needs to be a certain occupancy level in order to facilitate the mortgage process that banks review to ensure that the building is not in danger of foreclosure due to it not being able to meet its financial obligations.  Plenty of co-ops in Riverdale have owners that rent their apartments out or rental units that require the board's approval. That is not a shocker at all.   I thought that was clear from my previous post.

There's nothing to know, as this is normal.  My point was that it is primarily a co-op first and foremost... In other words, the building portrays itself as a building looking for owners rather than renters.  A co-op especially wants owners since you are buying shares of the building, therefore the owner-to-renter ratio must always be higher and in proportion accordingly.  A co-op or a condo for that matter wants owners first and foremost because too many renters can put a building in jeopardy when trying to attract buyers who need to be approved for mortgages, as there needs to be a certain occupancy level in order to facilitate the mortgage process that banks review to ensure that the building is not in danger of foreclosure due to it not being able to meet its financial obligations.  Plenty of co-ops in Riverdale have owners that rent their apartments out or rental units that require the board's approval. That is not a shocker at all.   I thought that was clear from my previous post.

You made nothing clear or evident at all.

You simply stated "The Whitehall is a luxury co-op building, not a rental building". Fact is The Whitehall leases directly as well.

Point refuted, now sit down and shut up.

You made nothing clear or evident at all.

You simply stated "The Whitehall is a luxury co-op building, not a rental building". Fact is The Whitehall leases directly as well.

Point refuted, now sit down and shut up.

Yes, that's exactly what The Whitehall is...  A luxury co-op building... The fact that they lease directly is not something that any smart building would advertise heavily for the reasons I mentioned previously.  You don't know anything about my neighborhood, only what you found out calling or whatever you did.  I live very close to that building and pass by it on a regular basis. I know how things work in my neighborhood thank you very much.

My goddaughter lives in Riverdale and there are several black people who live there and have never had a problem with anyone. However these blacks are not American born, they are African...HUGE difference. Before I got married, I used to live in Queens. There was a catering hall right near me and every Friday/Saturday night, there were parties which were made up of Africans. Never was there a problem and the people were very nice. I used to work in a gas station on the weekends and they would kindly ask me if they could park there for a few hours and I always let them. Never a problem at all. But like I said, the African blacks are completely different than American blacks. Same goes for West Indian Blacks. HUGE difference in culture, behavior and overall quality of life compared to American Blacks.

My goddaughter lives in Riverdale and there are several black people who live there and have never had a problem with anyone. However these blacks are not American born, they are African...HUGE difference. Before I got married, I used to live in Queens. There was a catering hall right near me and every Friday/Saturday night, there were parties which were made up of Africans. Never was there a problem and the people were very nice. I used to work in a gas station on the weekends and they would kindly ask me if they could park there for a few hours and I always let them. Never a problem at all. But like I said, the African blacks are completely different than American blacks. Same goes for West Indian Blacks. HUGE difference in culture, behavior and overall quality of life compared to American Blacks.

To be clear, there are subsections of Riverdale... Spuyten Duyvil for example has some blacks (not a large amount but some) and Riverdale (along Broadway) is another area that has some, as both areas are generally cheaper to live.  Central or "Downtown" Riverdale, and Fieldston are the most expensive parts of Riverdale and there are far fewer blacks (none in some cases) in those areas.

Nevertheless, for the most part, areas west of Broadway (i.e. Inwood, Kingsbridge and Riverdale) generally don't have lots of Blacks, as those areas historically were Irish enclaves and still are today to an extent.  The Irish that have moved from Inwood and Kingsbridge have generally all moved to Riverdale, Woodlawn or parts of Westchester.

To be clear, there are subsections of Riverdale... Spuyten Duyvil for example has some blacks (not a large amount but some) and Riverdale (along Broadway) is another area that has some, as both areas are generally cheaper to live.  Central or "Downtown" Riverdale, and Fieldston are the most expensive parts of Riverdale and there are far fewer blacks (none in some cases) in those areas.

Nevertheless, for the most part, areas west of Broadway (i.e. Inwood, Kingsbridge and Riverdale) generally don't have lots of Blacks, as those areas historically were Irish enclaves and still are today to an extent.  The Irish that have moved from Inwood and Kingsbridge have generally all moved to Riverdale, Woodlawn or parts of Westchester.

My Goddaughter lives a couple of blocks from St Margerets on RIverdale Ave. Bottom line is, I have seen and know of several African blacks who never had a problem with anyone because they are not a problem themselves.

My Goddaughter lives a couple of blocks from St Margerets on RIverdale Ave. Bottom line is, I have seen and know of several African blacks who never had a problem with anyone because they are not a problem themselves.

Yes, that's North Riverdale, which is also cheaper than Central Riverdale and Fieldston, so no surprise there... There are some blacks there (again not that many but some - still no more than 7% overall though).

Yes, that's exactly what The Whitehall is...  A luxury co-op building... The fact that they lease directly is not something that any smart building would advertise heavily for the reasons I mentioned previously.  You don't know anything about my neighborhood, only what you found out calling or whatever you did.  I live very close to that building and pass by it on a regular basis. I know how things work in my neighborhood thank you very much.

You need not be irate, rather take this as an advisory to be informed in the future, as to not attempt to save face in the future.

Until the next one.

You need not be irate, rather take this as an advisory to be informed in the future, as to not attempt to save face in the future.

Until the next one.

lol... Why would I be irate when you don't live here and probably have never even been to Riverdale aside from a visit or two if that?  I've lived here for years, so I know what I'm talking about.

Archived