Riverdale man moving after racially-charged messages are vandalized on his car

Turbo19

Yes, that's North Riverdale, which is also cheaper than Central Riverdale and Fieldston, so no surprise there... There are some blacks there (again not that many but some - still no more than 7% overall though).

It's not really wise to lump African and West Indian Blacks together with African Americans. They're completely different.

It's not really wise to lump African and West Indian Blacks together with African Americans. They're completely different.

Truer words have not been said and attitude.  I dealt with many West Africans and their attitude was this country was a goldmine.  

We're talking about statistics and statistics only, and based on that they are all black and are put in the same category on the census.

If they choose to identify as one, otherwise they are in another category entirely.

Same things happen in Mill Basin,Brooklyn. I'm not surprised.

It used to be like this in Borough Park where the tensions were high between Asians and whites in the 1980's. This was before Brooklyn Chinatown began to grow into the 4th largest Asian American community in the nation. Yeah they used to be chased with bats and definitely it was racially motivated. Happily, times has changed. One of the few areas of Brooklyn that experienced a major shift in demographics, and the long time residents in time became accepting of the fact that in my opinion, things has changed for the better in that the area has become multicultural. Its much more peaceful in Borough Park now.

There used to be high tensions between Italians, Irish and conservative Jews in the Hassidic community there as well. But that has changed too from 30 years ago. What did it was the new generation of kids only now entering the workforce and raising families. They are more openminded.

This was what I have observed. Now I am not trying to 'demonize' white Americans here, but this was what happened. I can say though that being a Borough Park resident since I was a newborn, for me, I didn't have any major problems with the long time residents there despite the problems we've had in the late 80's which is non existent today. 

I only have one name to sum up what I think of this "incident" - Toni Jenkins.

I heard about this on the news earlier this week (my lady had it on news 12 & we were talkin about it).... Something about this whole thing does not bode well with me; can't quite put my finger on it..... It's almost as if he wants recognition that he "made it" into moving away from wherever he resided prior & on into Riverdale....

Someone forgot to give this guy the memo that Riverdale (of all places) isn't Beverly Hills or Bel freakin Air....

He talks about all these unpleasant occurrences he's had while living in Riverdale:

"Hart said his motorcycle also got knocked to the ground twice last summer while parked behind the Whitehall building, and he now worries the incidents were cowardly acts, not accidents.

Hart said he often was asked, “Where are you going?” when he first moved into the fancy doorman building, decked out with chandeliers, marble floors and a fitness gym....
"

Perpetual victim.... What insults my intelligence is that he knows this (above), he's had a prior act of hate filled/racially charged vandalism back in September, but it took the 2nd act of said type of vandalism for you to say you "can’t believe this".... Really?

I heard about this on the news earlier this week (my lady had it on news 12 & we were talkin about it).... Something about this whole thing does not bode well with me; can't quite put my finger on it..... It's almost as if he wants recognition that he "made it" into moving away from wherever he resided prior & on into Riverdale....

Someone forgot to give this guy the memo that Riverdale (of all places) isn't Beverly Hills or Bel freakin Air....

He talks about all these unpleasant occurrences he's had while living in Riverdale:

"Hart said his motorcycle also got knocked to the ground twice last summer while parked behind the Whitehall building, and he now worries the incidents were cowardly acts, not accidents.

Hart said he often was asked, “Where are you going?” when he first moved into the fancy doorman building, decked out with chandeliers, marble floors and a fitness gym...."

Perpetual victim.... What insults my intelligence is that he knows this (above), he's had a prior act of hate filled/racially charged vandalism back in September, but it took the 2nd act of said type of vandalism for you to say you "can’t believe this".... Really?

So in summary you think this dude is simply trying to cash out, all the while placing attention on his residence in Riverdale to inflate his ego? I'd say that the description would fit many here who have posted, but Hart doesn't strike me as such an individual.

Hart said he often was asked, “Where are you going?” when he first moved into the fancy doorman building, decked out with chandeliers, marble floors and a fitness gym...."

I was thinking about the whole "moving up" thing last night as I was taking a walk from my apartment to my bank.  One thing that I've found comical is the amount of people from the Bronx that come to Riverdale for a "night out".  I saw a couple doing just that and I had to chuckle. I mean who in the hell comes here for a night out?  This is a bedroom community... Nothing more, nothing less, and we who live here go to Manhattan for a night out, but the folks from poor parts of the Bronx come here because for them it's a "step up", just like with this guy.  I moved here because I have no desire to live in Manhattan and want a suburban style of living, that's quiet in an upscale community, which is what this is.   This is why most Manhattanites move here because they're sick of the city life or they want to sort of "spread out" if you will and want somewhere that's close to the city where they can play and then go back to their quiet life in Riverdale.  This isn't a "Beverly Hills" type of neighborhood with lots of great shopping and all of that despite the upper middle class areas like Fieldson with historical homes, and I like it like that with just small local shops and such.  I think this guy thought he was getting that sort of lifestyle when he moved here.  It is an upper middle class community, but it is no Manhattan, and that's why I said if he really wants to show that he's a big shot, he should move to somewhere like that.  People have money here, but they don't move here necessarily to flaunt their wealth, but rather for a quiet lifestyle away from the hustle and filth that the city has.  I met one lady who moved here from the Upper West Side and we chatted as we waited for the BxM2.  She said she just couldn't see herself living in the city anymore. Was sick of the crowds, noise, tourists, and all that comes with living in Manhattan, and I agreed with her.  I also met another lady who moved here from the Upper East Side, and she moved here thinking she would have the same type of living because she was in a luxury apartment building, but it's not the same thing, and she realized that and moved back to the city where should shop at Saks whenever she pleased.   In short, it isn't even about money because plenty of people who live here could certainly move to Manhattan, but they don't want that lifestyle.  Today, I plan on enjoying the woodpeckers outside of my balcony, ordering some Greek food from a local spot here maybe getting some wine from one our local wine shops, and relaxing in the quietness of my neighborhood.  Maybe I could do that on the Upper East Side, but other than that I can't think of a neighborhood in the city that would offer me the same sort of laid back suburban-urban lifestyle that Riverdale offers.

I'm not typing all of what I said again... Hit the damn post button, the page refreshed with my post not showing it..... Manually refreshed the page, and I still see VG8's post as the last reply....

Cliff-note version:

- To Turbo's post... I think he's placing attention on himself to pump up his ego; he's using the neighborhood he lives in as an avenue to do so.... I don't think he's looking to cash out; I brought up Toni Jenkins because she wrote that "none ******" in the tip section of a receipt, and I believe Mr. Hart had this done to his car - that was the parallel I was drawing with that.... You (well not you literally, Turbo, but Mr Hart here) wait til to the second (supposedly) racially charged "incident" to go public with it? As if the first racially charged incident wasn't enough to have to put up with....

To sum it up, I believe he thinks he represents a smaller minority in Riverdale than he actually does - Even though blacks are still a large minority in the neighborhood.... So this whole *look at me, I've made it, I'm a black man in Riverdale (again, "of all places"), and here's the racist vandalism to prove it*, isn't cutting it (for me).....

- To VG8's post.... Simply put, he wanted to move far away from the hood that he could, while still living in city limits.... I should hope that he wasn't stupid enough to expect the Beverly Hills lifestyle anywhere in NYC.... See, you have a certain set of black men running out to the suburbs to seek white acceptance also (not necessarily saying this is the case here, but if it was, and this was actually a racist pile of garbage that did that to his car, Man, that couldn't have been anymore of a rude awakening)....

But Yeah, again, I'm not taking this whole story for face value... For all I know, he could've had this done (to his car) to illustrate how racist a neighborhood Riverdale supposedly is (full knowing it's primarily Jewish), and is making a plea to GTFO because he can't afford to live there much longer..... Parting shots, if you want to look at it that way - Think about it, how many people diss the city/town/hamlet, etc. they used to live in, while living in some other area.....

I see some Riverdalians started a fund for this guy.... IDK, I'd be careful with that, or else he will end up like Toni Jenkins (profiting off the BS she initiated).... But then again, 'aye, folks can do w/e they want w/ their money.....

I'm not typing all of what I said again... Hit the damn post button, the page refreshed with my post not showing it..... Manually refreshed the page, and I still see VG8's post as the last reply....

Cliff-note version:

- To Turbo's post... I think he's placing attention on himself to pump up his ego; he's using the neighborhood he lives in as an avenue to do so.... I don't think he's looking to cash out; I brought up Toni Jenkins because she wrote that "none ******" in the tip section of a receipt, and I believe Mr. Hart had this done to his car - that was the parallel I was drawing with that.... You (well not you literally, Turbo, but Mr Hart here) wait til to the second (supposedly) racially charged "incident" to go public with it? As if the first racially charged incident wasn't enough to have to put up with....

To sum it up, I believe he thinks he represents a smaller minority in Riverdale than he actually does - Even though blacks are still a large minority in the neighborhood.... So this whole *look at me, I've made it, I'm a black man in Riverdale (again, "of all places"), and here's the racist vandalism to prove it*, isn't cutting it (for me).....

- To VG8's post.... Simply put, he wanted to move far away from the hood that he could, while still living in city limits.... I should hope that he wasn't stupid enough to expect the Beverly Hills lifestyle anywhere in NYC.... See, you have a certain set of black men running out to the suburbs to seek white acceptance also (not necessarily saying this is the case here, but if it was, and this was actually a racist pile of garbage that did that to his car, Man, that couldn't have been anymore of a rude awakening)....

But Yeah, again, I'm not taking this whole story for face value... For all I know, he could've had this done (to his car) to illustrate how racist a neighborhood Riverdale supposedly is (full knowing it's primarily Jewish), and is making a plea to GTFO because he can't afford to live there much longer..... Parting shots, if you want to look at it that way - Think about it, how many people diss the city/town/hamlet, etc. they used to live in, while living in some other area.....

I see some Riverdalians started a fund for this guy.... IDK, I'd be careful with that, or else he will end up like Toni Jenkins (profiting off the BS she initiated).... But then again, 'aye, folks can do w/e they want w/ their money.....

I don't know what you mean by "large minority"? Blacks are the smallest minority by far in Riverdale (7% overall), and their presence is mainly found along Broadway and down in parts of Spuyten Duyvil.... Not as much as in Central Riverdale (including the areas west of the Parkway - i.e. estate area) or Fieldston (excluding Broadway).  As for the Jewish population that would true moreso in the Southern parts.  The Irish and Germans have a big presence here as well, particularly in North Riverdale.

I don't know what you mean by "large minority"?

Blacks are the smallest minority by far in Riverdale (7% overall), and their presence is mainly found along Broadway and down in parts of Spuyten Duyvil.... Not as much as in Central Riverdale (including the areas west of the Parkway - i.e. estate area) or Fieldston (excluding Broadway).  As for the Jewish population that would true moreso in the Southern parts.  The Irish and Germans have a big presence here as well, particularly in North Riverdale.

Of all the things to wanna harp on in this discussion... Alright then....

I'll put it to you this way... Large enough to know that enough of them exist within Riverdale... How's that?

You have people that act like blacks don't exist w/i the neighborhood at all... I'm saying they're not that damn rare, regardless of within which specific enclave of the neighborhood they appear more at.....

Regardless if I said "large" minority or a "small" minority, I know you don't like dealing with numbers, but I mean really, how many blacks are there in riverdale (not the percentage, the actual total number)? Compare that to whatever larger amounts of other groups of people (that aren't Jewish, which accounts for the largest amount of ppl) in riverdale.... The difference isn't all that drastic, Via.... We're still talking about a minority presence in the neighborhood.... You do know what a minority of something is, don't you..... I'm not talking about racial minority here, as is defined by the US.....

Now if I said largest, then I could see you being so quick to raise such a point.... Still an inane point, when it comes down to how much of a minority this one black guy is representative of, within the entire neighborhood....

Of all the things to wanna harp on in this discussion... Alright then....

I'll put it to you this way... Large enough to know that enough of them exist within Riverdale... How's that?

You have people that act like blacks don't exist w/i the neighborhood at all... I'm saying they're not that damn rare, regardless of within which specific enclave of the neighborhood they appear more at.....

Regardless if I said "large" minority or a "small" minority, I know you don't like dealing with numbers, but I mean really, how many blacks are there in riverdale (not the percentage, the actual total number)? Compare that to whatever larger amounts of other groups of people (that aren't Jewish, which accounts for the largest amount of ppl) in riverdale.... The difference isn't all that drastic, Via.... We're still talking about a minority presence in the neighborhood.... You do know what a minority of something is, don't you..... I'm not talking about racial minority here, as is defined by the US.....

Now if I said largest, then I could see you being so quick to raise such a point.... Still an inane point, when it comes down to how much of a minority this one black guy is representative of, within the entire neighborhood....

To be honest, their numbers probably appear smaller to me just because there aren't many of them that use the express bus or Metro-North, which is what I use, and then the part of Riverdale that I'm in tends to have the least amount of them.  Sure plenty of them "pass through" or work here, but living here and working here are two different things... Their true representation is seen on weekends here, especially during the colder months... Perfect example, most of the buses I use can have anywhere from 0 to 1 - 2 on average.  On a few occasions I've seen as many as 4 - 5 of them, but that's been maybe 2 - 3 times in all of the express buses I've rode, as in a group of them riding together, which is pretty rare. 0 - 2 is more common out of a bus of 57, which is pretty low... Reminds me of the black presence on the X1's back in the day which was similar... Metro-North is even rarer... Lucky if there is one on the entire platform... I know the Whitehall does have a few blacks though, as I've seen some during my walks along the parkway...

To be honest, their numbers probably appear smaller to me just because there aren't many of them that use the express bus or Metro-North, which is what I use, and then the part of Riverdale that I'm in tends to have the least amount of them.  Sure plenty of them "pass through" or work here, but living here and working here are two different things... Their true representation is seen on weekends here, especially during the colder months... Perfect example, most of the buses I use can have anywhere from 0 to 1 - 2 on average.  On a few occasions I've seen as many as 4 - 5 of them, but that's been maybe 2 - 3 times in all of the express buses I've rode, as in a group of them riding together, which is pretty rare. 0 - 2 is more common out of a bus of 57, which is pretty low... Reminds me of the black presence on the X1's back in the day which was similar... Metro-North is even rarer... Lucky if there is one on the entire platform... I know the Whitehall does have a few blacks though, as I've seen some during my walks along the parkway...

You know better than that, don't jerk my chain here.... Lol....

If you go by how many blacks use the express bus in Riverdale or MNRR, then of course the amount of blacks in the neighborhood are gonna appear small(er).... You can't just ignore a large portion of that 7% or whatever that take local buses, or have their own cars (apparently, like Mr. Hart here! - Let's not forget about this character)/get rides from other residents/neighbors.... Or dare I say it, unemployed (and got some non-black significant other paying their way)....

As far as people passing by on the bee-line buses coming from westchester, or those that work in the neighborhood (lol), of course I'm not referring to that.... Don't know about you, but I've never put down my "home" bus routes, in the address section of whatever applications I've ever had to fill out..... Homeless live on the NYC subway, but I don't know of one person that lives on a bus..... Do you?

So yeah, I am talking about actual black residents of riverdale - those that can truthfully put down the address of any property within riverdale on an application or w/e.....

I don't doubt how low the black representation of the neighborhood is, in regards to their commutes on the BxM's or the MNRR....

I don't even know what 'The Whitehall' was before this story, so I'm not gonna pretend like I know anything about it now.....

Shit sounds like the name of a Broadway play AFAIC......

You know better than that, don't jerk my chain here.... Lol....

If you go by how many blacks use the express bus in Riverdale or MNRR, then of course the amount of blacks in the neighborhood are gonna appear small(er).... You can't just ignore a large portion of that 7% or whatever that take local buses, or have their own cars (apparently, like Mr. Hart here! - Let's not forget about this character)/get rides from other residents/neighbors.... Or dare I say it, unemployed (and got some non-black significant other paying their way)....

As far as people passing by on the bee-line buses coming from westchester, or those that work in the neighborhood (lol), of course I'm not referring to that.... Don't know about you, but I've never put down my "home" bus routes, in the address section of whatever applications I've ever had to fill out..... Homeless live on the NYC subway, but I don't know of one person that lives on a bus..... Do you?

So yeah, I am talking about actual black residents of riverdale - those that can truthfully put down the address of any property within riverdale on an application or w/e.....

I don't doubt how low the black representation of the neighborhood is, in regards to their commutes on the BxM's or the MNRR....

I don't even know what 'The Whitehall' was before this story, so I'm not gonna pretend like I know anything about it now.....

Shit sounds like the name of a Broadway play AFAIC......

I honestly don't pay that much attention to the local buses since I rarely use them here. I think I've used the local buses here maybe 4 times or so and two of those times was when the Hudson Rail link wasn't running and I saw a bus coming, so I got on it rather than walk from my apartment to the station.  I think that 7% out of roughly 50,000 residents is still pretty small, but it's clear that their presence is clustered in certain areas... 555 Kappock down in Spuyten Duyvil definitely has some, as that is a large co-op, along with a few other co-ops along Kappock, and then they have a big presence along parts of Broadway, which have more rentals and is cheaper than the splashy parts of Riverdale.  I don't frequent that area very often as it is rather out of the way for me, but I did notice more blacks down there that appear to live there, so that 7% overall is misleading.

I honestly don't pay that much attention to the local buses since I rarely use them here. I think I've used the local buses here maybe 4 times or so and two of those times was when the Hudson Rail link wasn't running and I saw a bus coming, so I got on it rather than walk from my apartment to the station.  I think that 7% out of roughly 50,000 residents is still pretty small, but it's clear that their presence is clustered in certain areas... 555 Kappock down in Spuyten Duyvil definitely has some, as that is a large co-op, along with a few other co-ops along Kappock, and then they have a big presence along parts of Broadway, which have more rentals and is cheaper than the splashy parts of Riverdale.  I don't frequent that area very often as it is rather out of the way for me, but I did notice more blacks down there that appear to live there, so that 7% overall is misleading.

Alright, at this point, I'm not sure what it is you're trying to argue, or otherwise further convey to me here..... Nobody's disputing there's a small amount of blacks in Riverdale.... I don't care that much about the 7% stat to be honest - You're the one that brought it up, so I used that as a talking point from then on in.... Whether it's misleading or not, doesn't change the fact that the neighborhood has a small representation of black people...

Still though, I believe that Mr. Hart thinks he represents a smaller number of blacks in Riverdale.... Being black myself, I can venture through a neighborhood & immediately tell what/how/if the consensus of its patrons are racist or not - without saying a word..... Riverdale does not have that vibe, it just doesn't......

This has all gotten repetitive at this point; I'm not buying what this man is selling....

Point noted but I mean they vandalized his vehicle several times. That is pretty serious and correct me if I am wrong, but this doesnt look like a race card play here.

Exactly, so why wait til after all this time to go public with it....

I'll give you a good example... When something gets desecrated in a Jewish community on some racist/hate filled shit, they are QUICK to bring it to the public's/media's attention... They don't wait around & say shit like "I can't believe this"  after the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. incident of sorts....

I'd say he's using the race card, but he's using it as a springboard to highlight his bigger issue - That is, showing & proving (to the public) that he's a black man in a better off community than where he came from (which is some straight up punk shit... and if I were a Riverdalian, I wouldn't be contributing, or even have started up any fund - I would be irate at this guy.... Not on no racism shit, but on the notion that he's painting "our" neighborhood in a negative light for his own selfish reasons)... Again, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but this guy strikes me as one of these older black men that got his 40 acres & a mule so to speak, and is using it to pat himself on the back and shit on other black folk in the process.... i,e., cooning.....

If he tried to use the news media to simply convey the point that he's a black man in Riverdale (and that other blacks can move in the area just like I did), this story would have never made the news.... I'm saying this story is more about him than whatever racist pricks there are in Riverdale that might have done this to his car.....

Archived