Riverdale man moving after racially-charged messages are vandalized on his car

Turbo19

A black Bronx man feels he’s being forced out of his luxury high-rise in predominantly white Riverdale after waking Friday to find racially charged graffiti scrawled on his truck for the second time, he told the Daily News.

Menuhin Hart, 54, said he discovered the hateful message: “U Shood Move” spray-painted on his 2011 Dodge Ram pickup truck as he left to run errands with his Army vet brother.

In 2013, his truck was keyed on every panel, and the words “black n-----” were clearly scratched into the paint, he said.

“I can’t believe this,” Hart said Friday morning as he filled out a report at the 50th Precinct, across from the Spuyten Duyvil playground, where the truck was parked overnight.

A building maintenance worker by trade, Hart said he and his girlfriend moved from Norwood to the esteemed Whitehall complex on Henry Hudson Parkway three years ago in search of a safer community. Sadly, he never felt welcome, he said.

“I am going to move; this is crazy,” he said. “It’s like, what year are we in here? This isn’t 1962.”

Hart said his motorcycle also got knocked to the ground twice last summer while parked behind the Whitehall building, and he now worries the incidents were cowardly acts, not accidents.

Hart said he often was asked, “Where are you going?” when he first moved into the fancy doorman building, decked out with chandeliers, marble floors and a fitness gym. A Whitehall doorman declined to comment Friday, as did a woman who answered the phone in the building’s management office.

Read more: Source

First, did anyone read the first comment on that article? Let me quote it.

"Riverdale, where people go to pretend they don't live in the Bronx. Anytime someone says they're from Riverdale I go out of my way to say "...oh the BRONX?". Riverdale, where people go to pretend they don't live in the Bronx. Anytime someone says they're from Riverdale I go out of my way to say "...oh the BRONX?". Riverdale, where people go to pretend they don't live in the Bronx. Anytime someone says they're from Riverdale I go out of my way to say "...oh the BRONX?". Riverdale, where people go to pretend they don't live in the Bronx. Anytime someone says they're from Riverdale I go out of my way to say "...oh the BRONX?". Riverdale, where people go to pretend they don't live in the Bronx. Anytime someone says they're from Riverdale I go out of my way to say "...oh the BRONX?". "

Second, it sucks he's moving out of is his neighborhood, because of inane people. I just hope they find who vandalized his car.

Yeah I just saw this article... Not surprised either... I'll admit that there is some racism here.  The black population is below 10% and is generally concentrated along Broadway in the non-splashy part of Riverdale, and down in Spuyten Duyvil, which while a subsection of Riverdale, is less expensive than Central Riverdale and Fieldston.  If you're a dark skinned black person like this guy you may be given a hard time (i.e. stares, etc.) as I have seen it myself.  There is diversity here but the fact is there are not many blacks here, especially dark skinned blacks.  There was another incident here shortly before I moved here about a building not too far from me over on Blackstone (west of Henry Hudson Parkway in Central Riverdale) avoiding renting to blacks.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/feds-sue-alleged-racial-discrimination-riverdale-apartment-rentals-article-1.955623

The Whitehall is not that far from me and is in the expensive part of Central Riverdale ("Downtown Riverdale").  It's west of the Henry Hudson Parkway, which is generally expensive and very white.  Yes, Riverdale has more Latinos moving in but they are usually White Latinos (i.e. Argentines, and other fair skinned Latinos).  The Asians here generally consist of Japanese, with some Koreans and a sprinkling of Chinese.  The white population is generally the old school Irish, Germans and Jews, with sprinklings of Greeks, Italians and other whites.

It should be noted that it isn't just Riverdale with this situation.  Plenty of other neighborhoods across the city like this... Riverdale in some ways while less conservative reminds of parts of Staten Island that are subtly racist.  

There was an incident on my BxM1 express bus about two weeks ago where a darker skinned woman got on in Kingsbridge and attempted to sit next to a White woman.  It appeared as if the darker skinned woman was rude and demanded to sit next to her.  In any event a confrontation broke out and it ended with the White lady using a racial slur against the darker skinned lady.  Not the first time I've seen that either, so as I said, I'm not surprised.  

A damn shame that it is reported by local residents to be relatively common. If anything incidents need to be reported more. At the very least this was brought to greater attention, so that if anything a greater emphasis will be placed on preventing this in the future.

A damn shame that it is reported by local residents to be relatively common. If anything incidents need to be reported more. At the very least this was brought to greater attention, so that if anything a greater emphasis will be placed on preventing this in the future.

I doubt it... Like I said there are plenty of neighborhoods like this in NYC that are "diverse", but still have small to almost non-existent black populations... The other form of segregation that happens in some NYC neighborhoods is economic... Lots of places with "income requirements" and "credit scores" that are well above the standard for NYC which then keeps out certain groups...  Knowing that certain groups generally have poorer credit scores and lower income levels achieves the same racial segregation.  In order words, requiring yearly incomes that are far more than the standard NYC requirement, which is 40x the rent.

Riverdale is still heavily white, and most of the blacks that are here are generally nursing home workers that come here to work and then return to their neighborhoods afterward.  This is especially evident on weekends.  That's when you really see how few blacks live here, particularly in the winter months when people tend to travel to other neighborhoods far less outside of theirs unless they have to for work or other necessities. My block, while diverse, has very few blacks... Maybe two at the most.  The rest are white, with some Latinos here and there, that are again lighter skinned and could pass for white, and one Asian family (Japanese or Korean IIRC).  To be honest, I wondered how Riverdale was so white when I first moved here considering how many apartments are in some parts, but it became clear why quickly.  Most of the apartments here are co-ops or condos and there are very few rentals, and the rentals that do exist are generally pricey and geared towards upper middle class earners which tend to be white.  With the large amount of co-ops here, that helps to keep the area fairly buttoned up, as co-op boards can pick and choose who they want in their buildings.

I doubt it... Like I said there are plenty of neighborhoods like this in NYC that are "diverse", but still have small to almost non-existent black populations... The other form of segregation that happens in some NYC neighborhoods is economic... Lots of places with "income requirements" and "credit scores" that are well above the standard for NYC which then keeps out certain groups...  Knowing that certain groups generally have poorer credit scores and lower income levels achieves the same racial segregation.

Listen, this isn't only focusing on racism on African Americans or other Blacks, but racism in general. Likewise this is neither a discussion on economical factors of exclusion, which may or may not be a factor on diversity imbalances This is a discussion on a hate crime that occurred to an African American man while residing in the Whitehall, in The Bronx, in the neighborhood of RIverdale.

Staying on topic to the discussion I pointed out that this will bring attention to this, and it has. Even you, as a resident of The Bronx in Riverdale had plenty to say in regard to racism and such similar acts from locals in the area in which you reside in.

What should be obvious is the next step which will be looking to prevent future violent acts, as such intolerance compromises the general safety of the immediate area. That is why this case is an up most priority, not only in The Bronx but citywide as well.

Addendum

Riverdale is still heavily white, and most of the blacks that are here are generally nursing home workers that come here to work and then return to their neighborhoods afterward.  This is especially evident on weekends.  That's when you really see how few blacks live here, particularly in the winter months when people tend to travel to other neighborhoods far less outside of theirs unless they have to for work or other necessities. My block, while diverse, has very few blacks... Maybe two at the most.  The rest are white, with some Latinos here and there, that are again lighter skinned and could pass for white, and one Asian family (Japanese or Korean IIRC).  To be honest, I wondered how Riverdale was so white when I first moved here considering how many apartments are in some parts, but it became clear why quickly.  Most of the apartments here are co-ops or condos and there are very few rentals, and the rentals that do exist are generally pricey and geared towards upper middle class earners which tend to be white.  With the large amount of co-ops here, that helps to keep the area fairly buttoned up, as co-op boards can pick and choose who they want in their buildings.

If you as a Riverdale resident are proud that you have so few minorities, and are showing pride for the fact via subliminals then I suggest you leave the discussion.

This topic was not posted so that a select few could stroke their inflated ego.

Addendum

If you as a Riverdale resident are proud that you have so few minorities, and are showing pride for the fact via subliminals then I suggest you leave the discussion.

This topic was not posted so that a select few could stroke their inflated ego.

There aren't "a few minorities here", as the Latino population is over 15% here in the New York neighborhood of Riverdale. I thought I made it clear that it is diverse here... What I said that there are few blacks here considering the population size of Riverdale, and gave some reasons why to give some background as to why I wasn't surprised by this incident.  

There aren't "a few minorities here", as the Latino population is over 15% here in the New York neighborhood of Riverdale. I thought I made it clear that it is diverse here... What I said that there are few blacks here considering the population size of Riverdale, and gave some reasons why to give some background as to why I wasn't surprised by this incident.  

Riverdale? Diverse? Are you high? The entire Latino population ends at Broadway, and once you're up those steps it's whiter than the RNC. Maybe Sputen Duyvil proper is slightly more diverse, but Riverdale is no melting pot.

Riverdale? Diverse? Are you high? The entire Latino population ends at Broadway, and once you're up those steps it's whiter than the RNC. Maybe Spuyten Duyvil proper is slightly more diverse, but Riverdale is no melting pot.

Don't be ridiculous.  I have a few neighbors in my building that are White Latinos, though I will admit that the majority are White (non Latino).  The Japanese and Latino neighbor I had both moved out and were replaced by Whites. The increasing rents here I'm sure had some impact on those moves.  Riverdale isn't any more whiter than the Upper East or Upper West Side, and I don't see anyone complaining about that.  My bus stops for example are generally 95 - 100% white, but I've seen that in Manhattan plenty of times, which is supposed to quite diverse.

Don't be ridiculous.  I have a few neighbors in my building that are White Latinos, though I will admit that the majority are White (non Latino).  The Japanese and Latino neighbor I had both moved out and were replaced by Whites. The increasing rents here I'm sure had some impact on those moves.  Riverdale isn't any more whiter than the Upper East or Upper West Side, and I don't see anyone complaining about that.  My bus stops for example are generally 95 - 100% white, but I've seen that in Manhattan plenty of times, which is supposed to quite diverse.

Tell me why this remotely matters?

Still doesn't serve for any discussion of this hate crime.

Just because Riverdale is a predominately White neighborhood doesn't mean there's something wrong with it.  Some people believe this guy is just making this up.  I for one don't get why he would move from Norwood (a real dump in the Bronx) to an upper middle class neighborhood like Riverdale, knowing the demographics of the neighborhood and then complain about how he never felt welcome.  He as a black man chose to move here to a predominately White neighborhood.  How in the world does one buy property in a neighborhood without being certain that they'll feel comfortable there?  Just boggles my mind.  If he wanted to move to a safer neighborhood, he could've stayed in the Bronx somewhere and could've still moved to "safe" neighborhood.  Riverdale presents a much different way of living, and I just don't think that he was ready for living in a more quieter, suburban like setting coming from Norwood, a crime ridden, urban ghetto.

Just because Riverdale is a predominately White neighborhood doesn't mean there's something wrong with it.  Some people believe this guy is just making this up.  I for one don't get why he would move from Norwood (a real dump in the Bronx) to an upper middle class neighborhood like Riverdale, knowing the demographics of the neighborhood and then complain about how he never felt welcome.  He as a black man chose to move here to a predominately White neighborhood.  How in the world does one buy property in a neighborhood without being certain that they'll feel comfortable there?  Just boggles my mind.  If he wanted to move to a safer neighborhood, he could've stayed in the Bronx somewhere and could've still moved to "safe" neighborhood.  Riverdale presents a much different way of living, and I just don't think that he was ready for living in a more quieter, suburban like setting coming from Norwood, a crime ridden, urban ghetto.

Where do I start?

-The insinuation that you made that this is a false report is offensive and crass.

-His prior residence is irrelevant to the situation.

-As a citizen the man is free to reside where ever he very well chooses.

-The demographics had nothing to do with Hart's uneasiness, rather it was due to attacks.

-Riverdale is in The Bronx and in relative close proximity to Norwood.

-That may or may not have influence a move from Norwood to Riverdale as they are withing the borough of Bronx.

-There is not much difference in regard to living standards.

-The fact that you want to exclude residents from other areas from residing in Riverdale speaks volume.

In conclusion take a hike you prick.

http://awesomescreenshot.com/0472lz7t25

Where do I start?

-The insinuation that you made that this is a false report is offensive and crass.

-His prior residence is irrelevant to the situation.

-As a citizen the man is free to reside where ever he very well chooses.

-The demographics had nothing to do with Hart's uneasiness, rather it was due to attacks.

-Riverdale is in relative close proximity to Norwood.

-There is not much difference in regard to living standards.

-The fact that you want to exclude residents from other areas from residing in Riverdale speaks volume.

In conclusion take a hike you prick.

http://awesomescreenshot.com/0472lz7t25

1. I didn't insinuate anything.  I said others believe that he's making this up, which is true, based on the comments on the article.

2. His prior residence is most certainly relative.  Moving from a mainly black neighborhood to a mainly white neighborhood when you're Black... I don't see how you could say that it's irrelevant and I don't see how he couldn't have faced any culture shock as a black man with no racial ties to this community.  Sure he can reside wherever he wants but it's a known fact that most folks prefer to live with their own kind.  It just makes more sense.  Less drama and there's a sense of "known".  

3. Riverdale is not within close proximity to Norwood. In fact Manhattan is much closer than Norwood, as Norwood is a good hour away on the bus.  In comparison Manhattan by bus is 15 minutes tops, maybe less.

4.  Let's see... Riverdale... An upper middle class neighborhood with some of the lowest crime rates in New York City, vs Norwood, a high crime, poor area known for drugs and shootings... I'd say that's a huge difference.

5. I don't want to exclude anyone.  It's just odd that he'd want to live here when there are so many other areas of New York City that he could move to that are safe that would be less of a culture shock for someone like himself.  I mean really, he couldn't have expected to not stick out given his profession and overall background.  He's a building maintenance manager... Seriously, Riverdale is a white collar neighborhood...  Suite and tie types live here, not "maintenance managers" <_<.

The problem is totally one sided given by the mover.  They didn't do this out of hate but what caused it which is the whole story. If it was because he was black only then you have the Klan running around up there but he might of contributed to it.  I'll give a couple of truthful stories.  I lived in a community which was single families for a number of years and had a black neighbor.  No big deal but had married below himself and he could have 500 of his relatives at the house for a party and while the yard was lite up it was quiet and respectful  His wife's relatives would show up once a year and all hell would break loose with cars being stolen and other hijinks where he would apologize to every neighbor for the problem the next day.  I fully understood the situation he was in.  Another story was a woman who was a cop and moved into a white neighborhood and had a Rott as a pet who promptly went thru the fence and broke open the neighbor's rabbit hutch and killed the neighbor's kids pets.and she wondered why the neighbors were pissed.  She then moved her brother in who was whoring around and his wife and him would fight making it necessary for the police to be called on a regular basis. What is considered normal in the innercities is abnormal everywhere else. 

1. I didn't insinuate anything.  I said others believe that he's making this up, which is true, based on the comments on the article.

You didn't have to directly say anything at all. We all know what's up.

2. His prior residence is most certainly relative.  Moving from a mainly black neighborhood to a mainly white neighborhood when you're Black... I don't see how you could say that it's irrelevant and I don't see how he couldn't have faced any culture shock as a black man with no racial ties to this community.  Sure he can reside wherever he wants but it's a known fact that most folks prefer to live with their own kind.  It just makes more sense.  Less drama and there's a sense of "known". 

Why would there be any culture shock? Why should there be any racial ties in order to "feel more at home"? Why are you making the judgement people prefer to live with "their own kind"?

3. Riverdale is not within close proximity to Norwood. In fact Manhattan is much closer than Norwood, as Norwood is a good hour away on the bus.  In comparison Manhattan by bus is 15 minutes tops, maybe less.

Yes, but Norwood is in The Bronx, as is RIverdale.

4.  Let's see... Riverdale... An upper middle class neighborhood with some of the lowest crime rates in New York City, vs Norwood, a high crime, poor area known for drugs and shootings... I'd say that's a huge difference.

It's the same city, same borough even.

5. I don't want to exclude anyone.  It's just odd that he'd want to live here when there are so many other areas of New York City that he could move to that are safe that would be less of a culture shock for someone like himself.  I mean really, he couldn't have expected to not stick out given his profession and overall background.  He's a building maintenance manager... Seriously, Riverdale is a white collar neighborhood...  Suite and tie types live here, not "maintenance managers" <_<.

Ugh, there is no culture shock, stop painting it as such. White collar profession or not Hart was able to afford the lease on his residence, even in your quote "white collar neighborhood".

See, this is why everything works against you if you are anything other than White.

My parents and blood relatives have drilled this into my head over the years growing up. People do not like to see you doing better if you are a minority. It's seen as a threat to some. If you are well-to-do and a minority, expect things to work out unfavorably. Like this man, he only wanted to do good and live his life the way he chooses to, like many people (lol freedom) want to. In today's society that's impossible. There's people that desperately want to escape the projects or the shelters they're stuck in. Very few make it out. Those that do find a nice place to settle in and hope for the best. That means, a nice job, a friendly neighborhood, maybe starting a family, chasing that good old American dream like old times.

But no. It doesn't work out that way.

Let's see. Southeast Queens. Most notably Laurelton. Used to be White middle-class suburbia until well-to-do African Americans began settling in. Once they started moving on in, White homeowners were spooked (by real estate agencies most likely) into selling off their homes at a loss to get away from it. This was a process known as blockbusting, which is pretty much illegal now. But hey, the area's not too bad today. I guess they expected it to become like Far Rockaway, huh?

EDIT: No, I have nothing against anybody, we are all cut from the same thread. Some just don't see that, and it infuriates me. I didn't want to believe all the bad stuff my parents and uncles told me about society but damn, it's ridiculous how things are set up to screw you over if you aren't white.

The problem is totally one sided given by the mover.  They didn't do this out of hate but what caused it which is the whole story. If it was because he was black only then you have the Klan running around up there but he might of contributed to it.  I'll give a couple of truthful stories.  I lived in a community which was single families for a number of years and had a black neighbor.  No big deal but had married below himself and he could have 500 of his relatives at the house for a party and while the yard was lite up it was quiet and respectful  His wife's relatives would show up once a year and all hell would break loose with cars being stolen and other hijinks where he would apologize to every neighbor for the problem the next day.  I fully understood the situation he was in.  Another story was a woman who was a cop and moved into a white neighborhood and had a Rott as a pet who promptly went thru the fence and broke open the neighbor's rabbit hutch and killed the neighbor's kids pets.and she wondered why the neighbors were pissed.  She then moved her brother in who was whoring around and his wife and him would fight making it necessary for the police to be called on a regular basis. What is considered normal in the innercities is abnormal everywhere else. 

Exactly... Some folks move to upscale neighborhoods and have no respect for the character of the neighborhood.  What happens in the ghetto is not appropriate in other neighborhoods.  I guess it's hard for them to adjust to a quiet, low crime neighborhood coming from areas where gun shots after dark and loud music and "hanging out" is the norm.  In any event, I'm sure this guy won't be missed.  While there are only a few blacks at the Whitehall, their presence has been there for many years, even when Riverdale's black population was almost non existent below 4% some 20+ years ago, which stands currently at around 7%.

Exactly... Some folks move to upscale neighborhoods and have no respect for the character of the neighborhood.  What happens in the ghetto is not appropriate in other neighborhoods.  I guess it's hard for them to adjust to a quiet, low crime neighborhood coming from areas where gun shots after dark and loud music and "hanging out" is the norm.  In any event, I'm sure this guy won't be missed.  While there are only a few blacks at the Whitehall, their presence has been there for many years, even when Riverdale's black population was almost non existent below 4% some 20+ years ago, which stands currently at around 7%.

Now you're making seem as if he was/is a nuisance neighbor while his stay.

Can you cease making generalizations, or will you keep up your crap?

Now you're making seem as if he was/is a nuisance neighbor while his stay.

Can you cease making generalizations, or will you keep up your crap?

I'm allowed to state my beliefs, and the fact is this building does have a few blacks that have lived there well before he came along, so I find it interesting that he's being "picked on" and crying wolf.  Yes, there aren't many blacks in Riverdale and that's the way it's been historically, but this building has had a few blacks living there going back 20+ years so what gives?  I suspect that there's more to this story than he's telling.  Either that or like I said, he experienced culture shock movjng from the ghetto in the Bronx, to an upper middle class New York City neighborhood (Riverdale).

All this shows is that this neighborhood can't get out of 1950.

Did I seriously just read this? Who's to say that just because this man came from another part of the Bronx, he's automatically a ghetto person? Also, from the looks of it, the people who have no respect are the cowards who knocked down his motorcycle, keyed the words "black nig**r" and spray painted "u shood move"(<- P.S.: real genius over here) onto his car.

All this shows is that this neighborhood can't get out of 1950.

Did I seriously just read this? Who's to say that just because this man came from another part of the Bronx, he's automatically a ghetto person? Also, from the looks of it, the people who have no respect are the cowards who knocked down his motorcycle, keyed the words "black nig**r" and spray painted "u shood move"(<- P.S.: real genius over here) onto his car.

I never said he was a ghetto person, but he did live in the ghetto.  Norwood went to hell years ago and that's no secret.  Even the article said he moved to Riverdale to live in a safe neighborhood..  The problem isn't our community.  The problem lies with him, which is why he's moving.  Good bye and good riddance.  Like I said, it's funny that with there being a few blacks that live in his building he's the "only one" (whoa is me as usual <_<) that's being picked on... Please... This guy is just looking for a quick buck, and I hope the Whitehall fights this tooth and nail.   He's renting there anyway so it isn't like he can afford to buy property there.  Figures.

Archived