Question

NYCboy

through out all my life of loving the subway,ive always wounderd,why do the OTT trains haves these "gates" that pop out of them,for example,when the R40 first came,it had no gates but then later they added gates,i dont get it,whats the point of them?

At first when I was lil i thought those were magnets to keep the train couples lol B) but years later I know those are used to prevent a passanger from trying to enter the Train between cars or leaving the trains like that, as well as going down to the track I think...

Someone correct me if im wrong

____

Newbies:

OTT: Old Technology Train

NTT- New Technology Train

through out all my life of loving the subway,ive always wounderd,why do the OTT trains haves these "gates" that pop out of them,for example,when the R40 first came,it had no gates but then later they added gates,i dont get it,whats the point of them?

Yup Brighton Local is on the mark...

EVer seen a picture of an R40 slant without the gates? Scary...

Most likely design, or regulations. And they're not ropes, its chains....

The pantograph or gate style barriers often can stick open after going through a tight turn after pushing off of each other creating an unsafe condition. The chains (which have sleeves on them in most cases) allow for continuous barrier even with the most severe of curves. It's just a whole lot safer, and it saves weight.

- A

Both the chains and spring gates can fail. While the chains are better at stopping people from boarding trains in the station I did once see a guy dive between them and onto the road bed. A few weeks ago I had been taking to a TSS on the (E) who said there was a 12-9 when a guy decided to take a piss between cars. He slipped and feel and was pulled up into the truck. Both the chains and spring gates are a good idea, why risk it. If you need to get to the next car, use the platform at the next station

Both the chains and spring gates can fail. While the chains are better at stopping people from boarding trains in the station I did once see a guy dive between them and onto the road bed. A few weeks ago I had been taking to a TSS on the (E) who said there was a 12-9 when a guy decided to take a piss between cars. He slipped and feel and was pulled up into the truck. Both the chains and spring gates are a good idea, why risk it. If you need to get to the next car, use the platform at the next station

Well, next thing you know, you're going to have those junctions like you see on articulated buses... :eek:

Yup then there was the lady who did the same thing on the (2) or (5) around the curves by E Tremont a few months back...heard about that one....

Needless to say it was the next train crew that found what was left of her...

It really doesn't pay to mess around between cars, if you miss the train wait for the next one, if you got to go to the bathroom do what ya gotta do or what you can take just Don't go between cars...

Speaking of that station, I think on the abandon side, there must be several homeless people living there. I know a kid who got arrested back there only a few days after it was abandon, but I guess either the cops don't care about the homeless being back there or they are not staking out the abandon platform anymore.

Archived