Bus fare hikes proposed for 3 Rockland lines

I1397103035000-tjndc5-65ol6nl82z8ci5qphn8

It's probably going to cost more to ride the bus in Rockland by the summer.

The county is proposing to raise fares for the first time since 2011 on its three services — Transport of Rockland, Tappan ZEExpress and TRIPS.

Some fares would increase from 50 to 150 percent, requiring everyone from commuters to the elderly to dig deeper into their pockets.

Rockland Transit Administrator Susan Cerra understood the numbers would jump out at riders but she said the cost per ride would remain affordable. The county historically has not collected enough revenue at the farebox and is seeking to inch closer to industry standards, she said.

The fare hike, which must be approved by Rockland Public Transportation Commissioner Thomas Vanderbeek, could bring in an extra $1 million per year. It would take effect on or after June 1. TOR and Tappan ZEExpress collectively provided 3.2 million rides last year.

"We need these fare revenues to continue our operation and continue to provide the service we're providing right now" said Cerra, noting the fare increase was originally budgeted for 2013. The lines' operating budget is $17.1 million.

Tried to guess which 3 "lines" they were (TzX, TOR 59, TOR 91) & come to find out the story title was misleading....

I have always felt the fare should be raised on the TzX (same w/ I-bus, but that's another topic); the current fare is too much of a steal...

As for doubling the cash fare for TRIPS riders, I mean, my god - Way to target senior citizens... But 12 bucks for a 10 trip ticket book sounds a little low, even for the seniors.... Amazing how ToR has managed to stay operational for this long; I suppose the TzX & TOR 59 alone is keeping them afloat.....

Anyway, here's the link to this story...

Tried to guess which 3 "lines" they were (TzX, TOR 59, TOR 91) & come to find out the story title was misleading....

I have always felt the fare should be raised on the TzX (same w/ I-bus, but that's another topic); the current fare is too much of a steal...

As for doubling the cash fare for TRIPS riders, I mean, my god - Way to target senior citizens... But 12 bucks for a 10 trip ticket book sounds a little low, even for the seniors.... Amazing how ToR has managed to stay operational for this long; I suppose the TzX & TOR 59 alone is keeping them afloat.....

Anyway, here's the link to this story...

The distinction between ADA TRIPS and regular TRIPS is confusing to me. It makes no sense that the former costs more than the latter. The federal maximum is 2x the base fare, and that's what it's going to be.

I believe TOR gets some JARC funding. 

Archived