Is the Budget More Important Than Safety?

I don't know what the hell your problem is; what is this bullshit about driving being so great.... The reason I underlined & italicized "my" wasn't to somehow shove it in your face that I have a car (quite frankly, not a soul on these forums is that important to me, don't get it twisted)... It was to debunk the stupid assertions you made in that last reply.... Looks like you got the message alright.....

Secondly, and for whatever the reason, you are coming off like JQP/Pinepower right now - Envious that people even have cars.... Find another avenue to project your personal problems onto.....

As far as the rest of what you say, well listen.... I don't flaunt what I have; don't feel the need to... Nor do I measure myself according to what other people have.... To me, it aint about no mattering if you have a car or not, or feeling better/more special than someone without one.... Consequently, shaming someone that doesn't have a car; I don't do that corny keeping up with the joneses shit (IDGAF who anyone tries to "keep up" with, quite honestly)...... One thing I never had was low self-esteem & I'm not about to start at 32.... Even if I didn't have a car, I would not be on no forum conveying the message that somehow having a car in NYC is a result of people trying to be show offs or whatever.....

To close this out.... Any problems you have with Peacemak3r, take it up with him.....

The whole car thing was really more aimed at Peacemak3r than you, but in any event I think the whole I have a car look at me BS is an American thing.  Here people are judged by what they drive, and cars are status symbols.  Quite frankly I've never been in awe of cars, and to be honest a part of me feels claustrophobic in them.  Being as tall as I am, leg room is a problem in most cars, so that could be why I never really warmed up to them.  Also, in Europe, being environmentally sound is more important than having a gas guzzling car to show off, and there's a part of me that appreciates that, so when I did consider buying a car when I was pondering staying on Staten Island, I was torn between getting something that had leg room (i.e. SUV) but SUV's aren't exactly easy on the gas, so I've struggled with that for a while, and the few brands that I do like (i.e. Audi, BMW, etc.), I'm not wild about their SUV's.  There's also the Alfa Romeo, which is not sold here in the US, but I've never seen an SUV by Alfa Romeo when I lived in Italy.  I'm sure that when I get older I'll get a car (maybe even in the next 2 - 3 years), but for the moment, I just don't see the point.  Even when I do get it, it will be just because, not because I really need one.  In short I'm not motivated to get one just to show that I have money. I do wonder though... Why are cars such status symbols in the US?  I mean I understand the general reason why, but from an economic standpoint, when you buy a new car, it depreciates the minute you drive out of the dealership, and continues to depreciate rapidly in a short period of time.  Unless one needs a car, it doesn't seem like a wise economic investment.

LOL... This is an interesting article that takes the whole owing a car to another level:

Automobile manufacturers began to focus on status as a marketing tool. The manufacturers wanted cars to be “outward symbols of income” and not just a form of transportation (Spring). They did not want their consumers to be satisfied with just any car, because then there would be no reason to buy a more expensive model. The manufacturers wanted the consumer to know that everyone else would know that their car was expensive. The idea of the right car as a symbol of status took root and flourished with effective advertising.

Source: http://thegnome.hubpages.com/hub/The-Evolution-of-Automobiles-as-Status-Symbols

I always thought that it was the whole American dream nonsense of having one's success being dependent upon whether or not they had a house and a car, but apparently that wasn't quite the reason.  It was basically a marketing scheme so that car companies could increase their profits. LOL... These days, unless you're driving a really rare car like a Rolls Royce, or a Bugatti or something really high end, most people really don't care, especially here in New York City because the majority use public transit regardless of how wealthy they are.  My boss has two cars, and lives in a penthouse on the Upper East Side and she always uses the local bus unless she's going to her house, which is outside of the city. The consensus is that parking would be a hassle and taking the bus or hailing a cab when the bus is not reliable is far easier that taking the car out of the garage. 

The whole car thing was really more aimed at Peacemak3r than you, but in any event I think the whole I have a car look at me BS is an American thing.  Here people are judged by what they drive, and cars are status symbols.  Quite frankly I've never been in awe of cars, and to be honest a part of me feels claustrophobic in them.  Being as tall as I am, leg room is a problem in most cars, so that could be why I never really warmed up to them.  Also, in Europe, being environmentally sound is more important than having a gas guzzling car to show off, and there's a part of me that appreciates that, so when I did consider buying a car when I was pondering staying on Staten Island, I was torn between getting something that had leg room (i.e. SUV) but SUV's aren't exactly easy on the gas, so I've struggled with that for a while, and the few brands that I do like (i.e. Audi, BMW, etc.), I'm not wild about their SUV's.  There's also the Alfa Romeo, which is not sold here in the US, but I've never seen an SUV by Alfa Romeo when I lived in Italy.  I'm sure that when I get older I'll get a car (maybe even in the next 2 - 3 years), but for the moment, I just don't see the point.  Even when I do get it, it will be just because, not because I really need one.  In short I'm not motivated to get one just to show that I have money. I do wonder though... Why are cars such status symbols in the US?  I mean I understand the general reason why, but from an economic standpoint, when you buy a new car, it depreciates the minute you drive out of the dealership, and continues to depreciate rapidly in a short period of time.  Unless one needs a car, it doesn't seem like a wise economic investment.

LOL... This is an interesting article that takes the whole owing a car to another level:

Source: http://thegnome.hubpages.com/hub/The-Evolution-of-Automobiles-as-Status-Symbols

I always thought that it was the whole American dream nonsense of having one's success being dependent upon whether or not they had a house and a car, but apparently that wasn't quite the reason.  It was basically a marketing scheme so that car companies could increase their profits. LOL... These days, unless you're driving a really rare car like a Rolls Royce, or a Bugatti or something really high end, most people really don't care, especially here in New York City because the majority use public transit regardless of how wealthy they are.  My boss has two cars, and lives in a penthouse on the Upper East Side and she always uses the local bus unless she's going to her house, which is outside of the city. The consensus is that parking would be a hassle and taking the bus or hailing a cab when the bus is not reliable is far easier that taking the car out of the garage.

The most practical vehicle for any city is a p/u truck extended cab whether small ,medium or large as crazy as it sounds. With reasonable care it will go 250,000 miles, carry darn near anything and cost to operate while not the best is the same as a car It gives better protection in an accident and can be glittered up with accessories to match the highest status cars. It has a stronger suspension and better tires than most cars and handle the potholes better and gives a better view of the road plus holds its value better. Its pure practicality at its finest. SUV's unless you do a fair amount of touring aren't worth the price. I had a 1987 Ranger which gave 27 mph on the open road where I moved households of furniture in the back with no problems. Status you can't eat but it sure costs alot to have.

The most practical vehicle for any city is a p/u truck extended cab whether small ,medium or large as crazy as it sounds. With reasonable care it will go 250,000 miles, carry darn near anything and cost to operate while not the best is the same as a car It gives better protection in an accident and can be glittered up with accessories to match the highest status cars. It has a stronger suspension and better tires than most cars and handle the potholes better and gives a better view of the road plus holds its value better. Its pure practicality at its finest. SUV's unless you do a fair amount of touring aren't worth the price. I had a 1987 Ranger which gave 27 mph on the open road where I moved households of furniture in the back with no problems. Status you can't eat but it sure costs alot to have.

Here's my gripes with having a car... If I had one, it would definitely have to be something high end... Nothing used... Preferably an Audi A7... Love the grills on those cars... Then I would have to park it in a garage... Not parking my car on the street here in Riverdale to allow some hood rat to come up from the Bronx and steal it, so that means I would have to schlepp to the garage every time I wanted to drive it.  Then I would have to find parking (again preferably in a garage) when I drove it in the city or elsewhere because people can be jerks and are envious, so I just think it would be too much of a hassle for me.  With technology advancing so much, you can really time things a lot better when it comes to public transportation, especially here in Riverdale.

What lots of folks do here is they just get a Zip car when they need one. I overheard a guy on the Metro-North Hudson Rail Link bus doing just that.  Makes much more sense and that could be something that I may do when I feel like I need a car over the weekend or something.

Look, I've read enough articles & heard enough news stories over the years of people in this city complaining about how hard it is to find a parking spot, yet they eventually end up finding one anyway.... I don't wanna hear it.... Parking aint really that god damn bad as some of these folks make it out to be - Like they'll NEVER find a parking spot; going as far as to create apps for the shit - FOH.... You can buy into the hysterics, I simply refuse to.... Because really, what it is, is that these people that incessantly bitch about parking, can't get the parking spot 1] they want & 2] right then & there..... Fits right in with the stigma of the average NY-er - Impatient, In a rush to get nowhere fast.... Highly annoying...

Don't bother me about cops & quotas because that has squat to do with my assertion....

Anymore disingenuous questions, Via?

Last summer, I tried around 8 PM to find a parking spot in Bay Ridge so we could get some dinner somewhere. I have never encountered such difficulty. We looked for about an hour and didn't even see one car pull out. We looked as far away as a half mile from where the restaurants were and still couldn't find one single space anywhere! By 9 PM we were getting pretty hungry so we drove to Park Slope and found a restaurant there and parked. So to say people always manage to find a spot, isn't exactly true.

Last summer, I tried around 8 PM to find a parking spot in Bay Ridge so we could get some dinner somewhere. I have never encountered such difficulty. We looked for about an hour and didn't even see one car pull out. We looked as far away as a half mile from where the restaurants were and still couldn't find one single space anywhere! By 9 PM we were getting pretty hungry so we drove to Park Slope and found a restaurant there and parked. So to say people always manage to find a spot, isn't exactly true.

LOL... Bay Ridge of all places has some of the WORST parking arrangements.  Years ago circa 2007 I looked at an apartment on Shore Rd and 92nd street.  The broker drove me over there and made a point of mentioning how lucky we were to find one parking spot because Shore Rd is basically impossible when it comes to parking.  As much as I love that area, I don't think there are many garages in the neighborhood... Not even along the main drags (3rd, 4th & 5th Avenue).  The problem with Bay Ridge is while it's very quiet west of 3rd Avenue and east of 5th Avenue, there are a lot dense areas with apartments (be it co-ops or condos) and these are folks (especially along Shore Rd) that are generally upper middle class, so at the least they're going to have one to two cars.  They would be wise to run express bus service later there which could perhaps deter folks from having cars along Shore Rd because the folks with the cars are usually the ones that ditch them for express bus service to and from the city, but even then you still have a lot of folks that like to drive along Shore Rd.  The areas in the 80's and upper 70's along Shore Rd. are some of the richest parts of Bay Ridge, which just means more cars, though these are usually multi-million dollar houses on sizable lots, but still... Two or three cars as a result.

Yeah, at those particular moments on whatever blocks you drove along looking for a spot.... That 1/2 mile number means nothing to me, unless you actually found a spot in that 1/2 mile distance.... You're not gonna get me to believe that you drove on every block in Bay Ridge (however large bay ridge is in sq. miles) & couldn't find anything - that would disprove that people don't always manage to find a spot (in this particular case).... I know about the restaurant scene down along 3rd av, and it even amazes me that all the folks that drive from wherever, can find parking in the general area..... You bailing for park slope was your own personal choice....

Funny you say that you drove to park slope & found a parking spot though... Because these are the very people I'm referring to, that incessantly spur complaints about not finding parking!

I was surprised too that parking in Park Slope was easier than in Bay Ridge. One of the problems in Bay Ridge was that since the meters were not in effect after 7 PM, people basically already left their cars there for overnight. Yes, it seemed I did try on every single street. How many streets do you think I covered in 60 minutes with very little traffic? It was a heck of a lot. I woud say like 30 or 40 separate blocks, at about two minutes a block including waiting for traffic lights.

Archived