Is the Budget More Important Than Safety?

So basically this coming winter, I should move out of New York since these potholes would probably take years to fix? Damn it. And as I said in the previous thread, lowering the speed limit should definitely not be passed, it'll just cause more problems.

I need to finish reading the article, probably tonight though.

lol... This is precisely why I don't own a car and have no desire to get one anytime soon.  I mean who in their right minds would drive to Manhattan to work or for pleasure and ruin their vehicles when they can just use Metro-North or the express bus?  If you need to go somewhere where transportation sucks or live in a transportation starved neighborhood, then it makes sense to have a car (actually two with the poor road conditions), but the horror stories that my friends tell me about that have cars just completely turns me off from getting one.  Not only that but every morning that I leave my apartment, the traffic agents are out in force (sometimes two cars within close proximity to each other) and they go around looking to see how they can write as many tickets as possible.  Riverdale is an affluent community, so of course they come up here to rake in the dough.  Really disgusting.

This de Blasio guy is a moron.  My block needs to be repaved badly and I've been complaining about it because we have lots of kids walking about here in Riverdale and the streets aren't safe for them.  It was confirmed last year that my block does indeed need a full resurfacing, but when that will happen is anyone's guess.

lol... This is precisely why I don't own a car and have no desire to get one anytime soon.  I mean who in their right minds would drive to Manhattan to work or for pleasure and ruin their vehicles when they can just use Metro-North or the express bus?  If you need to go somewhere where transportation sucks or live in a transportation starved neighborhood, then it makes sense to have a car (actually two with the poor road conditions), but the horror stories that my friends tell me about that have cars just completely turns me off from getting one.  Not only that but every morning that I leave my apartment, the traffic agents are out in force (sometimes two cars within close proximity to each other) and they go around looking to see how they can write as many tickets as possible.  Riverdale is an affluent community, so of course they come up here to rake in the dough.  Really disgusting.

This de Blasio guy is a moron.  My block needs to be repaved badly and I've been complaining about it because we have lots of kids walking about here in Riverdale and the streets aren't safe for them.  It was confirmed last year that my block does indeed need a full resurfacing, but when that will happen is anyone's guess.

I'm LOL ing also. Why ruin your tires when you can ride an MTA bus and have them ruin their tires instead? Right?

You mention Riverdale being an affluent neighborhood. I live in affluent Manattan Beach. When it comes to sanitation tickets which have a minimum fine of $100, (for example if you place cardboard outside, but don't put twine around it) so far we have been lucky. Sanitation seems to go after the less affluent neighboring Brighton Beach where I've read about many unfair tickets like where they trespassed into an 80 year old lady's backyard and gave her a ticket for having a pile of leaves there that wasn't even visible from the street. I woud think she has more important things to take care of than a pile of leaves.

Also, they repaved an entire street three years ago in Manattan Beach about a mile long that didn't even need to be resurfaced. There were like three potholes on the street which could have been easily fixed. I could think of many more candidate streets where resurfacing was needed more. As soon as the street was resurfaced everyone started complaining how speeding had increased.

Most streets other than highways get resurfaced like every 30 years. DOT has a website where you can check the last time your street was paved. The problem is if one pothole on the block was fixed, they check off the entire street as resurfaced which is a damn lie! Then they claim the average street is resurfaced every 7 years. Most people believe them and are too dumb or naive to see through the lies.

I'm LOL ing also. Why ruin your tires when you can ride an MTA bus and have them ruin their tires instead? Right?

You mention Riverdale being an affluent neighborhood. I live in affluent Manattan Beach. When it comes to sanitation tickets which have a minimum fine of $100, (for example if you place cardboard outside, but don't put twine around it) so far we have been lucky. Sanitation seems to go after the less affluent neighboring Brighton Beach where I've read about many unfair tickets like where they trespassed into an 80 year old lady's backyard and gave her a ticket for having a pile of leaves there that wasn't even visible from the street. I woud think she has more important things to take care of than a pile of leaves.

Also, they repaved an entire street three years ago in Manattan Beach about a mile long that didn't even need to be resurfaced. There were like three potholes on the street which could have been easily fixed. I could think of many more candidate streets where resurfacing was needed more. As soon as the street was resurfaced everyone started complaining how speeding had increased.

Most streets other than highways get resurfaced like every 30 years. DOT has a website where you can check the last time your street was paved. The problem is if one pothole on the block was fixed, they check off the entire street as resurfaced which is a damn lie! Then they claim the average street is resurfaced every 7 years. Most people believe them and are too dumb or naive to see through the lies.

What is the website for the sentence I highlighted in red? I've been looking for it but can't find it.  As for the subsequent sentence after the one in red, that I never knew.  It makes a lot of sense though.  When I lived on Staten Island, we complained about how horrible the roads were.  People would spend thousands of dollars having to have their shocks replaced and the roads were so bad that when I would take car service from the express bus, the drivers would apologize, even though it really wasn't their fault that our backs were being killed by the potholes, so yeah after that whole experience, I saw no need to try to "show off" and buy a fancy car and throw money away getting new shocks every time I turn around and replacing bent rims.  One less headache to deal with.  The other thing with having a car here is that they give out so many tickets and make parking such a hassle that by the time you find a spot, all of the time you save driving just gets taken away trying to get a spot and ensuring that you're not given a gazillion tickets in the process because they put up so many conflicting signs that you can never tell where you can and cannot park at, so you're better off finding a garage to park in at home and when you're traveling, which again makes you question why drive in the first place if you really aren't saving that much time unless you have to?

I've experienced this hassle quite a few times with friends that prefer to drive into the city.  We spend 20 - 30 minutes sometimes trying to find a spot and then worry the whole time while eating dinner about whether or not the spot we found was actually not a problem in terms of getting a ticket.  Not exactly a hassle I want to put up with, so unless you're going somewhere where you absolutely need a car here, it really isn't worth it.  I was convinced a few years ago that I would get a car just to have one, but after what I've experienced here and the way in which the city tries to basically rob people because they want to exercise their right to drive, I basically said screw it for now.  I have tons of transportation options within walking distance that offers far less stress, not to mention much cheaper too.  

I think the younger population here in particular is starting to catch on, as more folks my age ditch the car and use public transit, not because they can't afford to, but because it just makes more sense and is more convenient.

What is the website for the sentence I highlighted in red? I've been looking for it but can't find it.  As for the subsequent sentence after the one in red, that I never knew.  It makes a lot of sense though.  When I lived on Staten Island, we complained about how horrible the roads were.  People would spend thousands of dollars having to have their shocks replaced and the roads were so bad that when I would take car service from the express bus, the drivers would apologize, even though it really wasn't their fault that our backs were being killed by the potholes, so yeah after that whole experience, I saw no need to try to "show off" and buy a fancy car and throw money away getting new shocks every time I turn around and replacing bent rims.  One less headache to deal with.  The other thing with having a car here is that they give out so many tickets and make parking such a hassle that by the time you find a spot, all of the time you save driving just gets taken away trying to get a spot and ensuring that you're not given a gazillion tickets in the process because they put up so many conflicting signs that you can never tell where you can and cannot park at, so you're better off finding a garage to park in at home and when you're traveling, which again makes you question why drive in the first place if you really aren't saving that much time unless you have to?

I've experienced this hassle quite a few times with friends that prefer to drive into the city.  We spend 20 - 30 minutes sometimes trying to find a spot and then worry the whole time while eating dinner about whether or not the spot we found was actually not a problem in terms of getting a ticket.  Not exactly a hassle I want to put up with, so unless you're going somewhere where you absolutely need a car here, it really isn't worth it.  I was convinced a few years ago that I would get a car just to have one, but after what I've experienced here and the way in which the city tries to basically rob people because they want to exercise their right to drive, I basically said screw it for now.  I have tons of transportation options within walking distance that offers far less stress, not to mention much cheaper too.  

I think the younger population here in particular is starting to catch on, as more folks my age ditch the car and use public transit, not because they can't afford to, but because it just makes more sense and is more convenient.

Go to this site. http://www.nycdot.info/

Then click on "Last resurfaced. Then click on the block you want info on.

I hate looking for a spot for 20 minutes or more. I don't know how some do it. I will use mass transit in those instances. I know it doesn 't bother some.

I also hate parking at meters if I can possibly avoid them if I can't predict how much time I will need. If I am at a restaurant, my meal is ruined by constantly looking at my watch to make sure I won't overstay the meter. It takes away all the enjoyment of the meal.

Go to this site. http://www.nycdot.info/

Then click on "Last resurfaced. Then click on the block you want info on.

I hate looking for a spot for 20 minutes or more. I don't know how some do it. I will use mass transit in those instances. I know it doesn 't bother some.

I also hate parking at meters if I can possibly avoid them if I can't predict how much time I will need. If I am at a restaurant, my meal is ruined by constantly looking at my watch to make sure I won't overstay the meter. It takes away all the enjoyment of the meal.

Exactly... This map is hilarious... I can't get a reading on my block... It just has a question mark... Figures...

Exactly... This map is hilarious... I can't get a reading on my block... It just has a question mark... Figures...

I don't understand why you of all people are worried about a street being resurfaced or maintained considering that you say you don't own a car.

I don't understand why you of all people are worried about a street being resurfaced or maintained considering that you say you don't own a car.

Are you kidding me?  What does owning a car have to do with it?  I still have to walk and cross streets and use public transportation on streets, so are you saying that only those who own a car should want resurfaced streets? That's precisely why I don't have a car because the streets are like war zones!

Are you kidding me?  What does owning a car have to do with it?  I still have to walk and cross streets and use public transportation on streets, so are you saying that only those who own a car should want resurfaced streets? That's precisely why I don't have a car because the streets are like war zones!

I mean, if your main concern is with the walking, isn't the sidewalk (where it exists) the responsibility of the property owner and not the city? Then again, Riverdale has a fair amount of non-sidewalk roads, so I'm not too sure on what it would be like up there.

I mean, if your main concern is with the walking, isn't the sidewalk (where it exists) the responsibility of the property owner and not the city? Then again, Riverdale has a fair amount of non-sidewalk roads, so I'm not too sure on what it would be like up there.

Correct... Our sidewalks are smooth as can be... The streets are another issue, and when walking you do have to cross the street you know.  I don't know what's so hard about getting that concept.  If it's dark out and visibility is poor and there are potholes all over the damn place, it doesn't take much to step in the wrong spot while crossing the street and injuring yourself.  And yes, that's the other issue... Some parts of Riverdale don't have sidewalks and walking in the street is a must.  There are a few parts of Riverdale where I live where you can only walk on the sidewalk on the one side of the street, otherwise you have to walk in the street.

Im jw , how popular are mopeds and scooters there? I see a ton around here. Good alternative during good weather for popr transit.

Rideshare is great too if you need a car occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im jw , how popular are mopeds and scooters there? I see a ton around here. Good alternative during good weather for popr transit. Rideshare is great too if you need a car occasionally. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol... I actually considered getting one of those mobile scooter thingys that I could carry on the express bus for weekends, but the lack of comfort didn't win me over.  

lol... I actually considered getting one of those mobile scooter thingys that I could carry on the express bus for weekends, but the lack of comfort didn't win me over.  

I have a kick one from NYC actually. Love the thing. lol

The people who complain about driving or parking in the city, are primarily the ones who can't drive for shit or can't find parking if their lives depended on it. Plain and simple.

I'm simply sick of those that exaggerate just how bad the parking situation is in this city... Ironically, these are the same ones bitching about alternate side parking as well (although I'll admit, those complaints have quelled since the 2000's hit)

The ones that complain about driving, TBH, that goes in one ear & out the other.... One of my (male) cousins is like that; ok, you got your license, having to use the cross bronx is an absolute PITA, I get it..... Enough already.....

To me, it's like a b/o or a truck driver complaining about driving; only difference is they do it (driving) for a living, whereas the commuter utilizing his/her own vehicle, uses it to commute to/from the building(s) with which they earn their living and/or education at....

Im jw , how popular are mopeds and scooters there? I see a ton around here. Good alternative during good weather for popr transit. Rideshare is great too if you need a car occasionally.

In Riverdale, virtually non-existant...

In NYC in general, you really only see teenagers/young adults joyriding (for the most part) on the things, and the chinese food delivery boys using them.... That's basically it....

The "in" thing here in this city when it comes to alternative commuting, is the bicycle (we can thank hipsters, and to a smaller extent, the MTA, for this).... I get a kick out of seeing the wall street types biking it out in the financial district; fully suited, designer shoes, toting a briefcase, all that...

I'm simply sick of those that exaggerate just how bad the parking situation is in this city... Ironically, these are the same ones bitching about alternate side parking as well (although I'll admit, those complaints have quelled since the 2000's hit)

The ones that complain about driving, TBH, that goes in one ear & out the other.... One of my (male) cousins is like that; ok, you got your license, having to use the cross bronx is an absolute PITA, I get it..... Enough already.....

To me, it's like a b/o or a truck driver complaining about driving; only difference is they do it (driving) for a living, whereas the commuter utilizing his/her own vehicle, uses it to commute to/from the building(s) with which they earn their living and/or education at....

What exactly do you call exaggerating?  The parking situation in the city is bad... Especially when you have cops trying to get over and ticket the hell out of drivers to drive up their quota.

What exactly do you call exaggerating?  The parking situation in the city is bad... Especially when you have cops trying to get over and ticket the hell out of drivers to drive up their quota.

Look, I've read enough articles & heard enough news stories over the years of people in this city complaining about how hard it is to find a parking spot, yet they eventually end up finding one anyway.... I don't wanna hear it.... Parking aint really that god damn bad as some of these folks make it out to be - Like they'll NEVER find a parking spot; going as far as to create apps for the shit - FOH.... You can buy into the hysterics, I simply refuse to.... Because really, what it is, is that these people that incessantly bitch about parking, can't get the parking spot 1] they want & 2] right then & there..... Fits right in with the stigma of the average NY-er - Impatient, In a rush to get nowhere fast.... Highly annoying...

Don't bother me about cops & quotas because that has squat to do with my assertion....

Anymore disingenuous questions, Via?

Parking in the city is only bad if you suck at finding parking and suck at reading signs. I actually don't have a hard time finding parking in the city. The only drawback is it's slightly harder than any other borough. That's it. If you are not a driver, you wouldn't know as much as a driver would.

Look, I've read enough articles & heard enough news stories over the years of people in this city complaining about how hard it is to find a parking spot, yet they eventually end up finding one anyway.... I don't wanna hear it.... Parking aint really that god damn bad as some of these folks make it out to be - Like they'll NEVER find a parking spot; going as far as to create apps for the shit - FOH.... You can buy into the hysterics, I simply refuse to.... Because really, what it is, is that these people that incessantly bitch about parking, can't get the parking spot 1] they want & 2] right then & there..... Fits right in with the stigma of the average NY-er - Impatient, In a rush to get nowhere fast.... Highly annoying...

Don't bother me about cops & quotas because that has squat to do with my assertion....

Anymore disingenuous questions, Via?

Aren't you the same guy that said some time ago that you ditched your car?  How could you argue that parking isn't a problem if you don't drive?  I see it not only in Manhattan but also here in Riverdale.  When you can find a spot, then the issue is overzealous police officers trying to find any way possible that they can ticket you.  Your argument seems rather confusing.  In one thread you talk about how the mayor is trying to push people to use the subway, and yet here you're claiming that parking isn't an issue.  I see having a car in this city as a problem for various reasons.  The streets are downright deplorable.  I saw a huge crater that I could literally step in with both feet right by Madison and 46th the other day... Couple the poor road conditions with the city trying to nickle and dime folks to death and it's not really a shocker.

Parking in the city is only bad if you suck at finding parking and suck at reading signs. I actually don't have a hard time finding parking in the city. The only drawback is it's slightly harder than any other borough. That's it. If you are not a driver, you wouldn't know as much as a driver would.

And when do you drive into the city? I always hear you talking about taking the subway in... 

And when do you drive into the city? I always hear you talking about taking the subway in... 

You're kidding right? Everyone on this forum, I guarantee, knows I'm probably 60% car and 40% subway.

And to add, majority of my weekend (Friday night through Sunday) journeys into the city......wait for it......drive in. The only times I take the subway in, is when I know 100000% something is preventing me to drive in.

You're kidding right? Everyone on this forum, I guarantee, knows I'm probably 60% car and 40% subway.

And to add, majority of my weekend (Friday night through Sunday) journeys into the city......wait for it......drive in. The only times I take the subway in, is when I know 100000% something is preventing me to drive in.

That's news to me... I always hear you talking about taking the (Q) into the city or the (B) back home during the week... Really boggles my mind why anyone in their right mind would drive into Manhattan....  :huh:

That's a significant part of the problem...

Who needs to do something as simple as being keen & analytical when you possess a certain trait called entitlement.... Or maybe I'm giving too many people too much credit

Aren't you the same guy that said some time ago that you ditched your car?  How could you argue that parking isn't a problem if you don't drive?

I see it not only in Manhattan but also here in Riverdale.  When you can find a spot, then the issue is overzealous police officers trying to find any way possible that they can ticket you.  Your argument seems rather confusing.  In one thread you talk about how the mayor is trying to push people to use the subway, and yet here you're claiming that parking isn't an issue.  I see having a car in this city as a problem for various reasons.  The streets are downright deplorable.  I saw a huge crater that I could literally step in with both feet right by Madison and 46th the other day... Couple the poor road conditions with the city trying to nickle and dime folks to death and it's not really a shocker.

- Never ditched my car; still have some repairs that I have to get done on it....

- It's one thing to disagree, it is quite another to try to discredit....

You have some case; questioning how can I argue parking isn't a problem if I don't drive (I'll get to that in a second)...

As if I've never driven? As if I haven't driven recently (I do have family members with cars)? As if I don't have functioning eyes when I'm walking out & about....

Look, I get exactly what you're doing here & it's pathetic.... Since I'm not driving, I can't have an argument regarding parking in this city.... But yet, you're the same person that doesn't drive (and to boot, in this thread talkin about some "What does owning a car have to do with it?") - you can have all the opinion in the world... Man, get out of here with that....

If you're gonna make a ridiculous argument like that, at least be consistent with it....

Using your own dismissive logic, You shouldn't be talking about this matter at all !

- Furthermore, Never said parking isn't a problem; step your comprehension up... My claim is that it isn't as big a problem as people let on....

You have a nasty habit of twisting people's arguments on here to make your own points....

- Bloomberg & deBlasio trying to get people onto subways isn't about people in this city trying to find parking (again, it's not about parking not being an issue).... So your attempt at trying to draw a parallel to those two statements failed, as that makes no sense at all.... Shit, it's trying get people out of their cars, on that whole (being) environmentally sound, "go green" bullshit..... Trying to get people out of their cars is a much larger issue than people incessantly complaining about how oh so hard it is to find parking.....

- Now you're talking about road conditions? While that is very much a problem with NYC's roads, I don't know why you're even talking to me about that... It's not anything I remotely mentioned in my prior posts in this discussion....

- Never ditched my car; still have some repairs that I have to get done on it....

- It's one thing to disagree, it is quite another to try to discredit....

You have some case; questioning how can I argue parking isn't a problem if I don't drive (I'll get to that in a second)...

As if I've never driven? As if I haven't driven recently (I do have family members with cars)? As if I don't have functioning eyes when I'm walking out & about....

Look, I get exactly what you're doing here & it's pathetic.... Since I'm not driving, I can't have an argument regarding parking in this city.... But yet, you're the same person that doesn't drive (and to boot, in this thread talkin about some "What does owning a car have to do with it?") - you can have all the opinion in the world... Man, get out of here with that....

If you're gonna make a ridiculous argument like that, at least be consistent with it....

Using your own dismissive logic, You shouldn't be talking about this matter at all !

- Furthermore, Never said parking isn't a problem; step your comprehension up... My claim is that it isn't as big a problem as people let on....

You have a nasty habit of twisting people's arguments on here to make your own points....

- Bloomberg & deBlasio trying to get people onto subways isn't about people in this city trying to find parking (again, it's not about parking not being an issue).... So your attempt at trying to draw a parallel to those two statements failed, as that makes no sense at all.... Shit, it's trying get people out of their cars, on that whole (being) environmentally sound, "go green" bullshit..... Trying to get people out of their cars is a much larger issue than people incessantly complaining about how oh so hard it is to find parking.....

- Now you're talking about road conditions? While that is very much a problem with NYC's roads, I don't know why you're even talking to me about that... It's not anything I remotely mentioned in my prior posts in this discussion....

Well then if driving is so great in this city, why would you even consider ditching your car in the first place?  <_<

Seeing that New York is a city where the majority of households take public transit over driving, I don't think it should matter whether or not one drives here.  I think what irks me is the notion that those who drive are somehow "better" or more economically mobile than those who don't, which is a joke, as there are plenty of affluent people that use public transit.  That's the air that peacmak3r has when he speaks about how he drives and how those who don't shouldn't have an opinion on the issue.  Quite frankly I find it rather irritating.  There is nothing so special about having a car in this city.  New York has the WORSE congestion not only in the country, but probably the world, so not having a car shouldn't be all of that shocking or somehow odd, especially if one has great transportation options.  

Aside from trying to be a show off, I honestly don't see why one would need a car in NYC unless they're going to areas that are transit starved.  It just doesn't make any sense.  Every time that I've tried to rationalize getting one, I can't do it.  It seems like more a hassle than anything.  Getting it cleaned, worrying about some jerk-off messing with it, etc. etc.  

Well then if driving is so great in this city, why would you even consider ditching your car in the first place?  <_<

Seeing that New York is a city where the majority of households take public transit over driving, I don't think it should matter whether or not one drives here.  I think what irks me is the notion that those who drive are somehow "better" or more economically mobile than those who don't, which is a joke, as there are plenty of affluent people that use public transit.  That's the air that peacmak3r has when he speaks about how he drives and how those who don't shouldn't have an opinion on the issue.  Quite frankly I find it rather irritating.  There is nothing so special about having a car in this city.  New York has the WORSE congestion not only in the country, but probably the world, so not having a car shouldn't be all of that shocking or somehow odd, especially if one has great transportation options.  

Aside from trying to be a show off, I honestly don't see why one would need a car in NYC unless they're going to areas that are transit starved.  It just doesn't make any sense.  Every time that I've tried to rationalize getting one, I can't do it.  It seems like more a hassle than anything.  Getting it cleaned, worrying about some jerk-off messing with it, etc. etc.  

I don't know what the hell your problem is; what is this bullshit about driving being so great.... The reason I underlined & italicized "my" wasn't to somehow shove it in your face that I have a car (quite frankly, not a soul on these forums is that important to me, don't get it twisted)... It was to debunk the stupid assertions you made in that last reply.... Looks like you got the message alright.....

Secondly, and for whatever the reason, you are coming off like JQP/Pinepower right now - Envious that people even have cars.... Find another avenue to project your personal problems onto.....

As far as the rest of what you say, well listen.... I don't flaunt what I have; don't feel the need to... Nor do I measure myself according to what other people have.... To me, it aint about no mattering if you have a car or not, or feeling better/more special than someone without one.... Consequently, shaming someone that doesn't have a car; I don't do that corny keeping up with the joneses shit (IDGAF who anyone tries to "keep up" with, quite honestly)...... One thing I never had was low self-esteem & I'm not about to start at 32.... Even if I didn't have a car, I would not be on no forum conveying the message that somehow having a car in NYC is a result of people trying to be show offs or whatever.....

To close this out.... Any problems you have with Peacemak3r, take it up with him.....

Archived