(J) Train Split

mark1447

Can any1 explain what is the purpose of splitting the route on the (J) during (4)/ (5) Construction?

In other words why does the (MTA) need one route to run from Jamaica to Chambers and another from Dalancy to Prospect Park rather then having a full line..

Just doesnt make a damn sense =|

Can any1 explain what is the purpose of splitting the route on the (J) during (4)/ (5) Construction?

In other words why does the (MTA) need one route to run from Jamaica to Chambers and another from Dalancy to Prospect Park rather then having a full line..

prolly, they think it wood be TOO long...:eek:

(4) train wasn't going to Brooklyn so they sent it local along Lexington Avenue from 125th Street to Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall. (5) train terminated @ Grand Central-42nd Street b/c I guess they were going construction below Brooklyn Bridge-City Call. They were doing track on the (J) from Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer to 111th Street which proved shuttle bus for those stations. As for the (J) trains going to Prospect Park....it was a shuttle (J) to provide alternate nearby stops for the (4) train since Brooklyn bound (4) trains wasn't going past Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall. Brooklyn bound (4)'s terminated @ Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall and Crown Heights-Utica Avenue/Manhattan bound (4)'s terminated @ Atlantic Avenue.

(4) train wasn't going to Brooklyn so they sent it local along Lexington Avenue from 125th Street to Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall. (5) train terminated @ Grand Central-42nd Street b/c I guess they were going construction below Brooklyn Bridge-City Call. They were doing track on the (J) from Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer to 111th Street which proved shuttle bus for those stations. As for the (J) trains going to Prospect Park....it was a shuttle (J) to provide alternate nearby stops for the (4) train since Brooklyn bound (4) trains wasn't going past Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall. Brooklyn bound (4)'s terminated @ Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall and Crown Heights-Utica Avenue/Manhattan bound (4)'s terminated @ Atlantic Avenue.

Lol I know mate B) . As for No trains form Brooklyn Bridge to Atlantic, I believe its becuz of the Fulton Street Station rehab =S or the New Transit center

But i just wanted to know whats the use of a Split (J) rather then just extending it for the weekend...

Lol I know mate B) . As for No trains form Brooklyn Bridge to Atlantic, I believe its becuz of the Fulton Street Station rehab =S or the New Transit center

But i just wanted to know whats the use of a Split (J) rather then just extending it for the weekend...

Never got the official word for sure, but I figured the (4) GO this past weekend had to do with

a) Fulton St Transit Center

B) Joralemon Southbound Tube, 3rd rail work, they had a section a few weeks back where I think something got grounded and there was major arcing so a small section less than the length of a signal block was set up with work lights for the past few weeks and it was Slow Speed through there for a while, could've been to finish that.

c) BOTH

I belive the reason is because its a seperate G.O. from the actual (J) route. Since the (J) runs between Jamaica & Broad normally, extending it further southbound into Brooklyn, via the (M) & (Q) is under The General Order, Overtime and pay list? It has something to do with the T/O's getting paid differently, and under a different route as opposed to the regular route. Someobody from RTO, help me out here, I feel Im on the right line a little bit:o

Zachary

I agree with SubwayGuy, the work definately has to do with either Fulton Street (we know all how much of a rat hole that station looks like now for the (4)(5)), or Joralemon Street tunnel.

Anyways, splitting the (J), I have no way of explaining because that alone is a mystery, and also a big mess. Ok, let me not talk about this service. ooooo my nerves....

I agree with SubwayGuy, the work definately has to do with either Fulton Street (we know all how much of a rat hole that station looks like now for the (4)(5)), or Joralemon Street tunnel.

Anyways, splitting the (J), I have no way of explaining because that alone is a mystery, and also a big mess. Ok, let me not talk about this service. ooooo my nerves....

i can understnad now that why they split, 'cause R160A-1 might now have Brighton line routes, and they run on the (J) but why before?...

they don't need the (J) shuttle because 1. people could take the (2), (3) train at atlantic avenue, and the same at Borought Hall. then you got Fulton St. where you can transfer to the (5) and then the (4), or the (N) or (Q) to canal st. for (6) and 14th st. for the (4). no reason for (J) shuttle. and even if they do need a shuttle, they should play with the (M).

i can understnad now that why they split, 'cause R160A-1 might now have Brighton line routes, and they run on the (J) but why before?...

they don't need the (J) shuttle because 1. people could take the (2), (3) train at atlantic avenue, and the same at Borought Hall. then you got Fulton St. where you can transfer to the (5) and then the (4), or the (N) or (Q) to canal st. for (6) and 14th st. for the (4). no reason for (J) shuttle. and even if they do need a shuttle, they should play with the (M).

Heres the thing, the (5) terminated at Grand Central/42nd Street......

Yes, people could transfer to the (2) or (3), for at least a better connection to Fulton Street, but thats about it.

You gotta remember, they're doing work with the (4)(5) platforms at Fulton Street so at times they don't want (4)(5) trains running through there.

So the (J) shuttle makes perfect sense. It needs to be more frequent though.....

They used to thrugh run the (J) when this started back in the 90's, but why they split them now is because the headways are different. The shuttle runs much more frequently than the (J), since the shuttle is filling in fir the busy (4). Plus it's better for the people displaced from the ($) to have their own dedicated service, since the (J) is coming from a long way, and can get tied up anywhere along the line.

I didn't even know they were doing this, until I was working the (Q) and saw them relaying. They still used all R42's, I guess because many people are still not qualified on the 160's. Woudn't it be funny if when it is all 160's, if they have the electronic signs read "4" running on the J line?

That's not a bad idea. I've seen buses display subway letters with "train to" or "shuttle". At least here in Bay Ridge I've seen it on occasions where buses have replaced (R) trains S/O 59th or 36th Sts. And I believe I recall seeing it when buses replaced (A) trains between Utica & Jay. That said, signing up a B-Division train meant to replace an A-Div one correctly with the numbers would fit and might actually be more helpful to those confused by the G.O.

That's not a bad idea. I've seen buses display subway letters with "train to" or "shuttle". At least here in Bay Ridge I've seen it on occasions where buses have replaced (R) trains S/O 59th or 36th Sts. And I believe I recall seeing it when buses replaced (A) trains between Utica & Jay. That said, signing up a B-Division train meant to replace an A-Div one correctly with the numbers would fit and might actually be more helpful to those confused by the G.O.

Yeah, most buses now and days are programed to have the subway route, be it a number or a letter.

Here are two examples:

NYCB_Orion_6409.jpg

(Sign isn't broken on this bus, I just caught it in the middle of a transition.)

DSC01583.jpg

They should extend the (J) to Prospect Park during Rush Hours (Via Montague-Brighton). It would really help the (J)(M) and (Z) line passengers who need (Q) (:P Franklin (T) and (R) service

They can't though. For the (J) to relay, it has to use the express tracks south of Prospect Park. If (:) express trains are running through service to Brighton Beach, then those tracks will be occupied, and the (J) won't have anywhere to relay.

They can't though. For the (J) to relay, it has to use the express tracks south of Prospect Park. If (:P express trains are running through service to Brighton Beach, then those tracks will be occupied, and the (J) won't have anywhere to relay.

Ohh yeah,thats right! Not unless they extended it to Brighton or Coney,or make it run all times except weekdays

They can't though. For the (J) to relay, it has to use the express tracks south of Prospect Park. If (:P express trains are running through service to Brighton Beach, then those tracks will be occupied, and the (J) won't have anywhere to relay.

Didn't the (M) used to go to Prospect Park years back before they started sending it to the West End? How was it relayed at Prospect Pk in those days?

Didn't the (M) used to go to Prospect Park years back before they started sending it to the West End? How was it relayed at Prospect Pk in those days?

Actaully, it ran to Coney Island. In the 80s, the (M) ran between Middle Village-Metropolitan Av and Coney Island-Stillwell Av, weekdays only. The (M) ran Myrtle Av Local, Williamsburg Bridge, Nassau St Local, Montague St Tunnel, Brighton Local. The (D) was thre Brighton Express, weekdays between Norwood & Brighton Beach; Nights & weekends via Brighton Local between Stillwell & Norwood, and the <QB>, later renamed <Q> was the Brighton Local/Bdwy Express between Stillwell & 57 St/7 Av.

However, back in mid 2006, during the same G.O. ( No (4) between Brooklyn Bridge and Atlantic Av ), the (M) actually ran its entire route between Metropolitan Av and Broad St, then extended via Montague St Tunnel, to DeKalb, then crossed to the Brighton (Q) to Prospect Park. This was the only time I remember seeing the (M) extended as opposed to the (J). Relay Operation: It Proceeded on the Brighton Beach Bound Express Track , half way into ParkSide Av, Stopped, Dumped, and reversed, and crossed over to the Manhattan Bound Express Track south of Prospect Park, and resumed service.

On another note, In May 2006, when construction disrupted (Q) service, and the (4) G.O., coincided with the Brighton construction, (J) trains actually ran between Essex St and 9 Av-West End, via Montague St Tunnel, and 4 Av Local.

*To answer your Question, (M) service was removed from the Brighton Line, and placed on the West End in April of 1986; Constrcution on the North side of the Bridge began, and the (:P&(D) from Brooklyn were sent over the South Side of the Bridge running up Broadway to 57 St &/or Astoria. The (M) has been on the West End Ever since.

**The ONLY time the (M) was removed from the West End, was post 9-11-01 service. The (M) replaced the (N) in Brooklyn between Court St and Stillwell Av via 4 Av/Sea Beach Local; 9-17-01 to 10/27/01.

Zachary

Archived