[EXCLUSIVE] 4th Ave Fastrack - N Via West End/Sea Beach Shuttle

realizm

4th Ave Fastrack: (N) Shuttle, (N) via West End, both directions to Coney Island. Slight graininess that really put the Canon Rebel DSLR to its limit in the dead of night, so pardon in advance. Enjoy!

IMG_8815_zps3c22ad59.jpg

IMG_8707_zps4e816f41.jpg

IMG_8703_zpse3db20bc.jpg

IMG_8696_zps1068f694.jpg

IMG_8697_zps6de42228.jpg

IMG_8718_zpsfe612ddb.jpg

IMG_8740_zps883fd167.jpg

IMG_8770_zps9f37cb08.jpg

IMG_8773_zps55f09ed6.jpg

IMG_8780_zpsbe88c578.jpg

IMG_8792_zpsfe3691ae.jpg

IMG_8796_zps3817e86b.jpg

IMG_8799_zps1edb992d.jpg

IMG_8819_zps20a97b75.jpg

IMG_8825_zpsf7b8aea9.jpg

IMG_8653_zpsef970be8.jpg

IMG_8650_zpsf9379b96.jpg

IMG_8641_zps3f0bbdda.jpg

IMG_8802_zpse3b0ef08.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

~realizm aka mqones

Really great coverage of the fastrack! +1

Many thanks!

REALLY great night pics!!! Low light sensor of not, night pics are very difficult to pull off, but these are pristine!!

Thanks! Yeah this one was not easy. I actually took almost 50 100 photos because it was incredibly dark on the West End. After constantly messing with the ISO it worked at 6400 (maxed it out) and was able to finally tame the camera. On Sunset or strange enough cloudy settings it seemed to work best if in the middle of darkness. On other photos used florescent or Tungsten light settings depending on station.

Wasnt easy prolly one of the hardest projects I've ever done given the fact this was at night. 

first thins is first...great coverage of pics!! a word of advice from one buff to another buff with SLR cameras...ISO sensitivity, never exceed 800 because of that graininess is known as "image noise" and that's a bitch!!! Lol you never want to see that...I don't exceed 800 from advice I was given so you would have to learn to have a steady hand A and B not only should you not exceed 800 but also once you are at 800, if ur shutter speed gets below 1/100 you gotta know what a steady hand is. If you don't know about white balance either, night time shots you should consider the incandescent white balance setting only for night time shots so you don't see all that redness u may notice!! once you practice all that, you'll get ya self better shots and you'll love it!!

first thins is first...great coverage of pics!! a word of advice from one buff to another buff with SLR cameras...ISO sensitivity, never exceed 800 because of that graininess is known as "image noise" and that's a bitch!!! Lol you never want to see that...I don't exceed 800 from advice I was given so you would have to learn to have a steady hand A and B not only should you not exceed 800 but also once you are at 800, if ur shutter speed gets below 1/100 you gotta know what a steady hand is. If you don't know about white balance either, night time shots you should consider the incandescent white balance setting only for night time shots so you don't see all that redness u may notice!! once you practice all that, you'll get ya self better shots and you'll love it!!

Shoot in RAW and correct the lighting later in Photoshop. Lighting is the least of any photographer's problems. For a moving train, proper exposure requires a minimum of 1/250s shutter speed. From there, you figure out how much of the background you want to be in sharp focus, and then adjust the ISO sensitivity for proper exposure. A rule of thumb is to never use the extended ISO settings, because they are no different than digital zoom.

This is good advice from the both of you. Definitely will take note of this. 

Admittedly unlike usual underground subway shots which I am pretty good at I was having a hell of a hard time with the ISO settings. Well I did get good practice on this set. Yeah I will implement these suggestions and practice in terms of regular photography and analyze the results. Perhaps I'll even post it in the off topic forum as I get the time to go for a photo session at night again. Maybe one of the bridges as practice.

100+! Awesome!

Btw, what was the (N) train doing at Bay Parkway? I mean, I saw the "LAST STOP".

Well we also had the Sea Beach shuttle terminating at CI. So for this reason the T/D had to call for termination of some trains at Bay Pkwy. Really the N via West End was practically running at 5 min headways.

Thank you everyone!

Actually it's because part of the GO is that tk 2 at Stillwell is OOS, so they only have one open pocket, so they can't handle two separate (N) services coming in and out on one track, so the trains from Astoria terminate at Bay Parkway West End, where customers can take a (D) behind it.

so the trains from Astoria terminate at Bay Parkway West End, where customers can take a (D) behind it.

Talk about f***ed. People coming home from Manhattan later will need to transfer twice for 86 Street, Avenue U, Kings Highway, Bay Parkway, 20 Avenue, and 18 Avenue. Ditto for those who need to head out to Manhattan from those stations for some reason.

Actually it's because part of the GO is that tk 2 at Stillwell is OOS, so they only have one open pocket, so they can't handle two separate (N) services coming in and out on one track, so the trains from Astoria terminate at Bay Parkway West End, where customers can take a (D) behind it.

Ahh I see now. Had a feeling that with two spontaneous N services running the T/Ds can only allow for one of the BMT lines to be lined up for CI for capacity reasons at the terminal. What I didn't know was that one track was out of service.

Really good, bro.

Thanks!

Talk about f***ed. People coming home from Manhattan later will need to transfer twice for 86 Street, Avenue U, Kings Highway, Bay Parkway, 20 Avenue, and 18 Avenue. Ditto for those who need to head out to Manhattan from those stations for some reason.

There was alot of pissed off people on the Sea Beach Line thats for sure.

Archived