State Lawmakers OK 25 MPH Speed Limit For NYC

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – New York state lawmakers have voted to let New York City lower its citywide speed limit to 25 miles per hour.

The state Assembly approved the city’s request late Thursday and the Senate followed suit early Friday morning as the Legislature worked to adjourn their six-month session.

The city’s speed limit is now 30 miles per hour. Mayor Bill de Blasio had sought the state’s permission to lower it by 5 miles per hour as part of a traffic safety campaign.

Traffic deaths have fallen sharply from 701 in 1990 to 286 last year, but de Blasio has proposed several measures to reduce the number further.

Source: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/06/20/state-lawmakers-ok-25-mph-speed-limit-for-nyc/

Lower it by 5 mph, I want to see how many city officials will obey this speed limit let alone the people of NYC. It's really not going to make a difference in my opinion.

As long as we're on this pedestrian safety subject, I hope they start enforcing "more harshly" other things like jay-walking or crossing only when the crosswalk light is green. Because cars are victims in accidents as well. I can't even count on my two hands how many times I almost fell victim to an accident because some jackass wants to run through the middle of the street.

They won't. It's absolutely amazing just watching people walk not just against the light, but also in the middle of the street and with oncoming traffic closely approaching. I don't even own a car and I can see this unfairly targets drivers while basically absolving pedestrians from blame. Yeah, I get that traffic-related fatalities need to be brought down and maybe lowering the speed limit will help, but pedestrians need to pay attention too. We can't have people crossing the street wherever the hell they feel like and we also can't have people so preoccupied with their Facebook statuses and Twitter feeds, they ignore the world around them.

While I agree that there are people who cross the street recklessly, the fact of the matter is this is a pedestrian first city, and it should be geared towards the pedestrian.  If it wasn't those who feel so strongly about the need to drive in NYC wouldn't be able to because just about every street would turn into a parking lot.  Also, for what it's worth, there are plenty of drivers who respect the notion of the pedestrian first mentality.  Those who are walking are allowed to cross the street, even if they are in the wrong because they're sacrificing so that those who want to drive and actually get somewhere can do so.  However, some drivers don't see it that way, and their mentality is, I want to drive my gas guzzling car in NYC and f**** everyone else. This is a city that is very much about sacrificing and that must always be remembered, given the large population here.  In order to drive here, there must be a give and take, and while it may be unfair that drivers are unfairly targeted, if more people weren't pedestrians, those in cars would have an even tougher commute than they do now because of even higher congestion.  Keep in mind that this only applies to NYC.  Other areas of the country where the car rules... Completely different situation. 

With these terms, I actually drive with a dash-camera now...for a few weeks actually. And already within those few weeks, I got cleared from 3 potential accidents CAUSED by pedestrians not paying attention and not following their right of way. (Example: crossing on their red light and jay-walking)

To be fair, I'll ease off on the jay-walking penalties if (of course) there is no car in sight...but some commonsense here folks, if there are cars approaching, don't freaking jay-walk.

With these terms, I actually drive with a dash-camera now...for a few weeks actually. And already within those few weeks, I got cleared from 3 potential accidents CAUSED by pedestrians not paying attention and not following their right of way. (Example: crossing on their red light and jay-walking)

To be fair, I'll ease off on the jay-walking penalties if (of course) there is no car in sight...but some commonsense here folks, if there are cars approaching, don't freaking jay-walk.

Occasionally I cross on a red light, but only on a small street and if there are NO cars in sight. Would never even consider it on a street like Queens Blvd. I would never do it there even if there were no cars in sight.

That's what I'm saying, if there is no car in sight, obviously there's no reason really to wait for that signal to cross the street.

But for people to cross with cars in sight approaching, come on, people need to realize it's not a good time to cross and avoid the signal.

That's what I'm saying, if there is no car in sight, obviously there's no reason really to wait for that signal to cross the street.

But for people to cross with cars in sight approaching, come on, people need to realize it's not a good time to cross and avoid the signal.

its bad during the night when people dress in black.

Archived