Off-Duty Cop In Coma After Being Punched At 23rd St. 6 Subway Station - Gothamist

realizm

2014_07_23rdststation.jpg

A 29-year-old NYPD detective is in critical condition after being assaulted at a Manhattan subway station last night.

According to the NYPD, the 29-year-old off-duty police officer was on the southbound platform at the 23rd Street 6 stop when he was punched by another man at 6:30 p.m. The officer fell to the ground, hitting his head on the platform.

1010 WINS reports the fall caused "bleeding on the brain." The officer was taken to Bellevue Hospital in critical condition. He is reportedly in a medically-induced coma.

The suspect fled the scene with two women, police say.

Apparently the off-duty detective, a 6-year veteran of the NYPD, and/or his companion may have gotten into an altercation with the attacker.

According to the Daily News, "he got into an argument with an unidentified man standing with two women," while the Post reports:

The detective had been standing on the southbound platform with his cousin at around 6:30 p.m. when the cousin began “bothering” a panhandler — and the suspect interceded by punching the detective in the head, law enforcement sources told The Post.

“That’s not f—ing right,” the suspect shouted before striking and running off with his two female companions.

The police are seeking the suspect, who is described as a 200-pound male in his 40s, about 5'9" and wearing a white t-shirt.

Jen Chung in News on Jul 13, 2014 9:13 am

Read more: Source

I cant say who started the altercation to begin with, that's the thing. But the courts will certainty not look at it that way. The guy is done because he fled the scene legalistically. Open and shut case, with felony assault which can turn to charges of murder if the off duty officer does not pull through from life support.

With a medically induced coma as ordered by a doctor, that is definitely indicative of serious life threatening brain injury. The officer can even fall into respiratory arrest, and become braindead, despite mechanical ventilator support and central IV, which I'm sure is what the doctors, nurses and respiratory therapists did to try and stabilize the assaulted officer just by hearing the diagnosis.

That is DESPICABLE! I hope this person fully recovers and is able to continue his job. I hope that the person who commited such a hideous crime gets punished to the full extent of the law! Life in JAIL, no parol!

That is DESPICABLE! I hope this person fully recovers and is able to continue his job. I hope that the person who commited such a hideous crime gets punished to the full extent of the law! Life in JAIL, no parol!

Life in jail for a punch thrown is ludicrous. This was a freak incident based on the way he fell, not a particularly heinous offense. Also, it seems like the "victim" and his party may not entirely have been in the right--harassing the homeless is about as low as you can go.

Life in jail for a punch thrown is ludicrous. This was a freak incident based on the way he fell, not a particularly heinous offense. Also, it seems like the "victim" and his party may not entirely have been in the right--harassing the homeless is about as low as you can go.

Well that's the thing, we don't know who was the one who actually initiated the altercation. Regardless the person fighting with the cop screwed up, he did should have instead of running away from the scene have called the cops himself and explain the case if it was actually the PO that attacked him first, which we do not know. 

If it was the other way around then obviously the apparent assailant should be prosecuted. 

Looking at this objectively. Recently we had a case in LA of a PO mercilessly beating a woman on duty. So I cannot say what happened, as the report I would admit could be omitting details here. But I could be wrong it may be accurate. You know how it goes with the mdia...

Well that's the thing, we don't know who was the one who actually initiated the altercation. Regardless the person fighting with the cop screwed up, he did should have instead of running away from the scene have called the cops himself and explain the case if it was actually the PO that attacked him first, which we do not know. 

If it was the other way around then obviously the apparent assailant should be prosecuted. 

Looking at this objectively. Recently we had a case in LA of a PO mercilessly beating a woman on duty. So I cannot say what happened, as the report I would admit could be omitting details here. But I could be wrong it may be accurate. You know how it goes with the mdia...

He probably panicked and fled. He was in the wrong to punch the cop, but regardless, the cop and his cousin instigated everything by harassing the homeless man. That's about as low as you can possibly go, and I do commend the guy for at least calling them out. Can't stand by the punch thrown, however, unless it turns out he was attacked too. 

He probably panicked and fled. He was in the wrong to punch the cop, but regardless, the cop and his cousin instigated everything by harassing the homeless man. That's about as low as you can possibly go, and I do commend the guy for at least calling them out. Can't stand by the punch thrown, however, unless it turns out he was attacked too.

So thats what happened?

So thats what happened?

This is the Post version (they can always be wrong, but it matched others; Delfaus is the cop):

"Delfaus and his cousin were standing on the southbound platform when the cousin began “bothering” a beggar, law-enforcement sources said.

The vagrant, Delano Parson, 54, told The Post that Delfaus insulted him “and tried to take my prescription glasses.”

The attacker then stepped in, shouting, “That’s not f- -king right!” at the cousin and slugging Delfaus before fleeing with two women, sources said.

A six-year NYPD veteran, Delfaus was promoted to detective in August and assigned to the Brooklyn North Narcotics Division. But he was placed on modified duty and reassigned to Queens after getting charged with DWI in December, sources said."

This is the Post version (they can always be wrong, but it matched others; Delfaus is the cop):

"Delfaus and his cousin were standing on the southbound platform when the cousin began “bothering” a beggar, law-enforcement sources said.

The vagrant, Delano Parson, 54, told The Post that Delfaus insulted him “and tried to take my prescription glasses.”

The attacker then stepped in, shouting, “That’s not f- -king right!” at the cousin and slugging Delfaus before fleeing with two women, sources said.

A six-year NYPD veteran, Delfaus was promoted to detective in August and assigned to the Brooklyn North Narcotics Division. But he was placed on modified duty and reassigned to Queens after getting charged with DWI in December, sources said."

Well no wonder, the off duty cop ended up attacked for harrassing a homeless man! Well now thats a different story, that says alot. 

Archived