Pay-at-curbside bus route draws raves

BY PETE DONOHUE

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

September 5th 2008

alg_bx12.jpg

Lombard for News

Commuters quickly hop on the the Bx12, which runs from Inwood to Co-op City

in the Bronx.

A speedier bus service launched as a pilot in the Bronx and upper Manhattan is off to a fast start, with a bump of nearly 5,000 daily riders, officials said Thursday.

The Bx12 route, where riders pay at curbside machines before boarding to shorten loading times, is slated for expansion, according to NYC Transit.

"It's working out better than we planned," said Joseph Smith, NYC Transit's vice president in charge of buses.

Approximately 26,565 weekday riders are taking the new Select Bus Service, compared with 21,700 passengers who took the limited-bus service it replaced, officials said.

Bus trips during peak travel periods are 20% quicker since the service began and other fast-track strategies were launched in June, the agency said.

[float=right]amd_bx12-fare.jpg

Lombard for News

Commuters purchase their tickets at

a kiosk before the bus arrives.

[/float]Although there were a few complainers, several riders on the Fordham Road stretch of the route, which extends from Inwood to Co-Op City, gave rave reviews Thursday.

"It's definitely faster. I like it much more," said home health aide Seneida Tavarez, 50.

Jesse Rosen's only gripe was that it took so long for NYC Transit and the city Transportation Department to make such "obvious" improvements to bus travel.

"You no longer have endless lines to get on the bus," said Rosen, 62, a university professor. "You can get on the front or back. The theory of buses coming more frequently seems to be working."

Since mid-July, NYC Transit's EAGLE team, mostly retired NYPD veterans now working as agency security inspectors, have issued 632 farebeating tickets to riders lacking proof-of-payment receipts. Inspectors spent several weeks explaining the new payment scheme to riders before enforcement began and still can give warnings, not tickets, when they deem it appropriate, said Vincent DeMarino, NYC Transit vice president of security.

[float=right]amd_bx12-map.jpg

JR/News[/float]Travel times also have been shortened along the Bx12 route by wireless technology on buses that communicate with traffic signal controls and give buses priority: red light periods are shortened and green lights extended for approaching buses. Police have issued about 4,000 tickets to drivers for encroaching on bus-only lanes and other violations.

The city Transportation Department and the MTA hoped to use congestion pricing funds to implement bus rapid transit routes across the city but the new toll proposal was not authorized by the state Legislature this year.

The M15 route in Manhattan is next in line for the rapid bus service, possibly in 2010, followed by the B44 in Brooklyn, NYC Transit project manager Ted Orosz said.

Not everyone on Fordham Road Thursday was in love with the program. Critics said trips are slowed by riders who attempt to pay the fare on board and must be directed back outside to payment machines by drivers who sometimes wait for them to make the transactions before departing.

"There's confusion and a lot of aggravation," said accountant Charles Borges, 48. He said payment machines are sometimes out of service, compounding problems.

Peroper signage needs to be posted.

If (NJT) can do it so can (MTA).

- A

That's just it, it IS posted, people just try to get on too fast and don't see the sign. Seriously, it's in the shelter in multiple spots, on 2 spots on the outside of the bus, and at the farebox. The only way they can get clearer is to play an announcement saying "Pay Before You Board."

i wonder how subway-bus and bus-subway transfers are gonna work on this, if this ever comes to queens they better make bus/subway transfers easy since like 75% of the ppl that take certain bus lines (such as the Q11) come from the subway

The machines are EXACTLY like fareboxes. If you insert one then intend to get on the train next, the turnstile will say "1Xfer, go," likewise for fareboxes on buses, including the Bx12 local. If you got on the train or another bus first, the transfer will be recorded on the card when you insert it into the machine, even though it might not say it.

This is the best thing in the hood since dollar menu! They should do this with more routes, who cares if people complain, no matter how good bus service gets, people will find a way to complain about it.

LMAO

This service has been the greatest thing since Limiteds started. And also this was a great thing to see happening in the Bronx. It probably drew alot more attention too since a Bronx route was first for +Select Bus Service+.

Yeah, I agree! They should try it out on the B41, B46, Bx55, M15, M101, Q17, & Q46

I love the Bx12 SBS. I had to take it home on Friday and it was fast considering what it usually is from 207th St to Pelham Bay Park. I like how quick it is to board the bus. I like paying for the bus before I get on it and it makes the bus leaves the stop quicker. I like pretty much everything about the SBS and I can't wait to see it spread to the other boroughs.

Archived