Headlights

B3 Via Av U

Do any of you think that the headlights on all new car orders should be a projector (polyellipsodial) lamp instead of a tungsten-halogen lamp? It would light up the tracks better (and they don't blind oncoming T/Os) and they generally look better. It's funny how the tail marker on the R160 is of a more advanced nature than the headlight. Also, some train lights questions:

1. Why is it that on a lot of old SMEEs (like the R40/R42 for example) the taillights aren't lit when outdoors? Below is an example:

S5032007.jpg

2. Do operators ever shut off the headlights so as not to blind an oncoming T/O? If so, how?

Really OT but what does the R160 reverser key look like?

Newer trains have daytime running lights on, for an example look on a highway and see the older cars with no lights on at day, and the newer ones with running lights. The whole point is to make it easier for oncoming cars/trains to see the train at day.

Also your better off with blinding headlights then no headlights at all. For another comparison, what do you think is more safe at night, hi-beams or no lights at all.

No idea about reverser keys or shutting off the headlights.

Memory is foggy on this so I could be wrong but the R179s may feature a new type of headlights. Unsure if they will be specifically projector lights or not.

Edit: Rephrasing my original response on operations from the few times I was at the RFW, I dont recall T/Os shutting off headlights in a middle of an operation if there is another T/O dead on. Say if the consist hits a switch and crosses the path of another set of cars also ready to move (But of course held on a red signal) and is in revenue service as far as I can remember the headlights stay on.

As for headlights in daylight regardless of fleet type they will stay on.

Maybe using ultra bright white LED since its brighter and uses less energy to operate like around 3 to 5 volts

Makes sense since in a recent publication that I cant find at the moment shows the MTAs commitment at going green by various means which includes saving on energy costs.

There are no daytime running lights. Sealed beams are allways on when the reverser is set to forward.

Tailights are always lit unless the reverser is set to forward. On the older equipment (SMEE) the taillights may be dim that's why they don't appear to be lit in daylight but they are on.

R160's/R142's do not have reverser "key's". They have a console key. The reverser is a switch built into the console.

On an R62/R62A if I'm sitting at a red signal or on a relay track I'll center my reverser as to not blind on coming T/O's as a courtesy. On a R142 and up equipment the sealed beams stay on all the time. Sealed beams will turn off if it's in reverse (when uncoupling) or your console key is removed.

R160's do have a reverser, even though it's not a key. Placing the reverser in neutral will turn out the sealed beams. R142/A do not have a neutral position, so the sealed beams stay lit as long as the console key is in. Placing the reverser of any tech train in the reverse position will cause the sealed beams at the rear of the train to illuminate, which is not acceptable by rule.

On all SMEE equipment sealed beams are controlled by the reverser and the relevant circuit breaker for the car class, which you're not going to get out of me on a public message board.

Archived