LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

3 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

You have an average accumulated all the way from the open house to getting into the program. They don’t tell you how you scored in the cognitive. I know I passed the synonyms with 42/42 because they had that in front of them. I could see my score on top of the paper. The other parts i don’t know how I scored. I guess pretty high since I made it into the program.  That’s why you have to sell yourself in the interview. As for who they pick to move forward. I’m not sure. I passed, they said “IF” selected I would get a email with the next few weeks. I got the email the next day inviting me to the signals and definition. 

So you can score low and still get into the program as long as your interview is fine?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 2ride said:

So you can score low and still get into the program as long as your interview is fine?

An invitation to the next step is good. Anything can happen from open house, signals and def to the panel interview. There people in this forum who made it to the panel and got a thank you for applying letters later on. But those who score higher in the cognitive test and pass the interview will move faster than those that score less. The invitation for signals and definition should be high. After they see the amount of work that needs to studied. People start dropping like flies. They usually 30-50 people to signals And Def. For the test date after usually around 20 show up and about 10 pass to the next phase. 

Edited by drenyce311

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I attended my overview on May 9th, and was called first for the interview. Is that a good sign? After the interview the HR lady told me she was recommending me for signals and definitions. What should I expect moving forward?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2024 at 4:01 AM, XChronosX said:

I attended my overview on May 9th, and was called first for the interview. Is that a good sign? After the interview the HR lady told me she was recommending me for signals and definitions. What should I expect moving forward?

Did you get an invite to S and D yet?

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Red5Xwing said:

I'd really like to know why my application from February of last year still says "applied", especially since they're running open houses.  Hard not to feel ignored especially since I've been trying to get this job since the late 2000s literally.

While I haven’t experienced this, I have heard that going in person and asking is the best thing to do. They could have misplaced paperwork or something. 

54 minutes ago, 30Bruins said:

While I haven’t experienced this, I have heard that going in person and asking is the best thing to do. They could have misplaced paperwork or something. 

They do a lot of shit like this on purpose and then say it isn’t their fault. You must be new to MTA as this isn’t the first time you have people complain or encounter problems with lazy HR.

I am going to respond to advise everyone what is going on . The fact is that they don’t notify you when you’re rejected. Let me tell you what happened to me:

last year I applied for the position of assistant conductor. I passed cognitive, I passed the interview, I passed the signals and definitions, and I went through the background check. Somewhere along the line, my background check got hung up on the employment verification part. However, they never notified me, neither the Long Island Railroad, nor True View, who handles the background checks. I kept calling human resources, and I could never reach that woman who handles it, until I finally got through to her around March of this year, and then she told me that there were some issues with my employment verification. It was too late to change it, because the one year  limit was almost up. Now, let me tell you what happened with my locomotive engineer application. 

I went to the open house on May 7, and once again I passed cognitive. Unfortunately, I had the great and utter misfortune to be interviewed by the supervisor of Training a fellow called Robert Kerr, who is a real prick, and who screwed me over during the interview. He first began by asking me if I was related to a previous president of the Long Island Railroad based on my last name. Then, in the interest of being transparent, I volunteered that I used to be late for work, but I changed my ways and now I come to work early, two or three hours ahead of time.  He seemed unimpressed and nonplussed by that, and apparently he blew me off after the  interview, but I was never notified that I was rejected after that interview. They almost never reject anybody during the interview after the cognitive, but unfortunately, like I said, I had run into a prick.  I kept calling human resources, and they kept saying this person named Brody handles everything. Nobody ever got back to me so far, and it’s almost a month . They told me that they had many people who passed the cognitive and that they had like four signal and definition overview classes at Hillside, and that they were taking a long time. However, it’s almost a month since I passed the cognitive,  and what happened was that they passed me over because of that prick Robert Kerr, but they didn’t notify me, and they won’t because that’s how they run things over there. It’s very important to keep calling them, and don’t worry about ruffling their feathers, because if you don’t keep calling, you’ll never know what happened to your application.  Also, it doesn’t matter if human resources has its feathers ruffled because they’re not the ones who decide who gets through. Finally, it seems like people don’t have the contact numbers for human resources. I’m lucky that I do, because when I asked this woman named Kim on May 7, she refused to give me the number to the office. They’re annoyed by people calling over there all the time. But if you don’t call, you’ll never get through to anybody. 

12 minutes ago, ren said:

I am going to respond to advise everyone what is going on . The fact is that they don’t notify you when you’re rejected. Let me tell you what happened to me:

last year I applied for the position of assistant conductor. I passed cognitive, I passed the interview, I passed the signals and definitions, and I went through the background check. Somewhere along the line, my background check got hung up on the employment verification part. However, they never notified me, neither the Long Island Railroad, nor True View, who handles the background checks. I kept calling human resources, and I could never reach that woman who handles it, until I finally got through to her around March of this year, and then she told me that there were some issues with my employment verification. It was too late to change it, because the one year  limit was almost up. Now, let me tell you what happened with my locomotive engineer application. 

I went to the open house on May 7, and once again I passed cognitive. Unfortunately, I had the great and utter misfortune to be interviewed by the supervisor of Training a fellow called Robert Kerr, who is a real prick, and who screwed me over during the interview. He first began by asking me if I was related to a previous president of the Long Island Railroad based on my last name. Then, in the interest of being transparent, I volunteered that I used to be late for work, but I changed my ways and now I come to work early, two or three hours ahead of time.  He seemed unimpressed and nonplussed by that, and apparently he blew me off after the  interview, but I was never notified that I was rejected after that interview. They almost never reject anybody during the interview after the cognitive, but unfortunately, like I said, I had run into a prick.  I kept calling human resources, and they kept saying this person named Brody handles everything. Nobody ever got back to me so far, and it’s almost a month . They told me that they had many people who passed the cognitive and that they had like four signal and definition overview classes at Hillside, and that they were taking a long time. However, it’s almost a month since I passed the cognitive,  and what happened was that they passed me over because of that prick Robert Kerr, but they didn’t notify me, and they won’t because that’s how they run things over there. It’s very important to keep calling them, and don’t worry about ruffling their feathers, because if you don’t keep calling, you’ll never know what happened to your application.  Also, it doesn’t matter if human resources has its feathers ruffled because they’re not the ones who decide who gets through. Finally, it seems like people don’t have the contact numbers for human resources. I’m lucky that I do, because when I asked this woman named Kim on May 7, she refused to give me the number to the office. They’re annoyed by people calling over there all the time. But if you don’t call, you’ll never get through to anybody. 

Also, I like to add in to the story the fact that nobody even bothers to keep up with their work or where you are in process, and leave everyone mentally exhausted if they were white, black, or discriminated in any way will get us to keep calling or emailing them. It seems like MTA wants to do whatever it wants, but do not bother to fix these issues as it CONSTANTLY keeps ruining everyone’s life.

Edited by 2ride

1 hour ago, ren said:

Wow, and I was kinda' feeling screwed a bit but that's nothing compared to what you endured, sorry all that happened to you! though