LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

17 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

HR doesn’t like when people keep calling to find out about thier scores or invitations. Just a heads up. But maybe being persistent will help your process. Idk 

When I was at the open house, they told me they have thousands of candidates applying for these positions. I specifically told them I wasn’t interested in LE and then they said it was on me to follow up with them now on when they’ll have another conductor open house so I can come in. Remember, I passed my cognitive this week and I’m owed one for the second part for at least a year. They called out names of people who didn’t pass and fortunately I made it to the end. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/3/2024 at 7:41 PM, dremoney9972 said:

Last couple of interview I had they said they were recommending me to move forward.  Yet I haven't heard anything past the initial invite to the open house.  So who knows.  Backlog, waiting list... Anyone's guess.  We'll see what happens. 

I got the invite for Saturday.  Fingers crossed for the rest of you on here as well.  Honestly, seeing how everyone on here is looking out for and giving advice to strangers has me as motivated for the job as anything else.

56 minutes ago, JPBCNY said:

I got the invite for Saturday.  Fingers crossed for the rest of you on here as well.  Honestly, seeing how everyone on here is looking out for and giving advice to strangers has me as motivated for the job as anything else.

Were you at the open house last Thursday? 

On 3/1/2024 at 8:00 PM, BDodgers said:

Is this for phase one or phase two? I was invited to take the S&D test for March 30th and the instructor Lauren said she had a class opening up in April.

I was in that S&D overview and yes indeed Lauren did state she has another class for phase one starting early April. 

33 minutes ago, LuckyStrikes said:

I was in that S&D overview and yes indeed Lauren did state she has another class for phase one starting early April. 

Hey nice to see someone in that room has been around this forum. How you doing with the material so far? Any tips you can share if you have any.

8 hours ago, BDodgers said:

Hey nice to see someone in that room has been around this forum. How you doing with the material so far? Any tips you can share if you have any.

I’ve been focusing on the definitions which is coming along pretty well. After a week and a half of definitions I’ve  looked at the signals and indications and they seem to be a lot easier to remember which is a great thing. As far as tips it depends on how you retain information the definitions seem to be a lil more complex so I’d like to focus on that first being the signals are pretty much grouped and much easier to learn In My opinion. How’s studying coming along for you?

13 hours ago, LuckyStrikes said:

I’ve been focusing on the definitions which is coming along pretty well. After a week and a half of definitions I’ve  looked at the signals and indications and they seem to be a lot easier to remember which is a great thing. As far as tips it depends on how you retain information the definitions seem to be a lil more complex so I’d like to focus on that first being the signals are pretty much grouped and much easier to learn In My opinion. How’s studying coming along for you?

Sounds like we're on the same frequency here. Focusing on the definitions and haven't really touched the signals yet. Its kicking my butt but after giving the signals a light run through, they look a lot easier to memorize. Right now, I'm struggling to forget about trying to learn the definitions and instead focus on just memorizing them, but I know I'll get it down. Not sure i wanna use physical flashcards for the signals though maybe the whole process of making them would help with memorizing them. But rn the plan is for the next week and a half to focus on definitions then the rest of the month on signals and reviewing. 

48 minutes ago, BDodgers said:

Sounds like we're on the same frequency here. Focusing on the definitions and haven't really touched the signals yet. Its kicking my butt but after giving the signals a light run through, they look a lot easier to memorize. Right now, I'm struggling to forget about trying to learn the definitions and instead focus on just memorizing them, but I know I'll get it down. Not sure i wanna use physical flashcards for the signals though maybe the whole process of making them would help with memorizing them. But rn the plan is for the next week and a half to focus on definitions then the rest of the month on signals and reviewing. 

I would suggest making flashcards for everything. The way that most people's minds work for memory is simply through repetition and even making the physical flashcards helps to get that memorization process started. When you know you get it right 100% of the time, put it aside and cycle through the ones you don't know. After you get them all, put them all back together and make sure you can do it 100% accurately because 99% right is 100% wrong! 

27 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I would suggest making flashcards for everything. The way that most people's minds work for memory is simply through repetition and even making the physical flashcards helps to get that memorization process started. When you know you get it right 100% of the time, put it aside and cycle through the ones you don't know. After you get them all, put them all back together and make sure you can do it 100% accurately because 99% right is 100% wrong! 

Thanks for the advice, Daniel. I'll definitely make those cards then. If you have any more to share I'm all ears

53 minutes ago, BDodgers said:

Thanks for the advice, Daniel. I'll definitely make those cards then. If you have any more to share I'm all ears

I would also add to read the definitions and indications aloud. This way as you break it up into chunks to memorize, your mind subconsciously fills in the blanks when you stumble through the definition. For the longer ones like roadway worker, break it up, don't try to memorize it in its entirety. It will seem impossible at first but the more you do it, the better and more accurate you'll be. If you study for 2-3 hours day, you should know it all a week or two before the test and at that point, it'll just be review. 

17 minutes ago, JPBCNY said:

What's the parking like near Hillside?  Is it better off to try to do it by public transportation?

What’s this for? Signals and Def?  You’re better off taking the train. Parking is horrible around that area. you would have to circle around a few times. And usually all the side streets to park is around Dunkirk Ave. usually bumper to bumper traffic around 7-8am

4 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

What’s this for? Signals and Def?  You’re better off taking the train. Parking is horrible around that area. you would have to circle around a few times. And usually all the side streets to park is around Dunkirk Ave. usually bumper to bumper traffic around 7-8am

Yeah, the S&D overview on Saturday morning at 8.  I was hoping it wouldn't be too bad at that time.  Thanks for the heads up!

47 minutes ago, JPBCNY said:

Yeah, the S&D overview on Saturday morning at 8.  I was hoping it wouldn't be too bad at that time.  Thanks for the heads up!

If it’s Saturday. I think you should be fine. During the week it’s chaos 

39 minutes ago, NYYankee said:

LIRR is always hiring LE, they must me short of engineers. Wonder how fast I can get weekends off if I get hired if they are indeed short

Depends. Sometimes some new guys get weekends off depending how they pick their seniority in their class. Might be only 1 S/S job to choose from when subject to bid. But usually 4+ years 

1 hour ago, drenyce311 said:

Depends. Sometimes some new guys get weekends off depending how they pick their seniority in their class. Might be only 1 S/S job to choose from when subject to bid. But usually 4+ years 

4+ years isn't bad

Just got a call from Hr and was told they are still reviewing my application. Is this a good sign or not? I did attend the open house on 2/29 and passed the cognitive and did the orientation as well. Only thing is at the current moment I am working for New York City Transit bus operator.  Any indication if I’m heading in the right direction or not ?

On 3/8/2024 at 1:20 PM, Handsomeheff said:

Just got a call from Hr and was told they are still reviewing my application. Is this a good sign or not? I did attend the open house on 2/29 and passed the cognitive and did the orientation as well. Only thing is at the current moment I am working for New York City Transit bus operator.  Any indication if I’m heading in the right direction or not ?

Not gonna lie, I was there with you also. Packed my stuff and was ready to leave out that door when they were weeding people out. I was surprised I made it to the end because I thought I did worse than I did last year on the cognitive.

I'm not sure how to gauge where I'm at in the application process, as my status has been listed as "applied" for over a year now.  I understand not to take but too much stock in status updates but in the past I at least got "passed prescreening", still hoping for the best but I guess I'll eventually see.

Edited by Red5Xwing

5 minutes ago, 2ride said:

@drenyce311 @NYYankee @danielhg121

tagged you guys, and wanted to know if everybody who makes it to interview at the end at open house gets invited for signals and definitions or they don’t pick everyone who passed for signals and definitions ? Why do they not call out names if they weren’t going to choose everyone?

All depends how you answered on the preliminary interview and how you scored on the cognitive. The highest scores will get called first for signals and definition. To move forward to the next process is at their discretion. Not everyone moves to the next stage. 

3 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

All depends how you answered on the preliminary interview and how you scored on the cognitive. The highest scores will get called first for signals and definition. To move forward to the next process is at their discretion. Not everyone moves to the next stage. 

Scores don’t make sense because they already called out low scorers before that

Edited by 2ride

11 minutes ago, 2ride said:

Scores don’t make sense because they already called out low scorers before that

You have an average accumulated all the way from the open house to getting into the program. They don’t tell you how you scored in the cognitive. I know I passed the synonyms with 42/42 because they had that in front of them. I could see my score on top of the paper. The other parts i don’t know how I scored. I guess pretty high since I made it into the program.  That’s why you have to sell yourself in the interview. As for who they pick to move forward. I’m not sure. I passed, they said “IF” selected I would get a email with the next few weeks. I got the email the next day inviting me to the signals and definition.