LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

3 hours ago, 127Ridgefield said:

Has there been any applicants from NJT ??? Or NJ Residents that have gone to LIRR?

We live in all parts of the tri-state area. There’s one trainee now that’s from NJ. I’ve seen people drop out of the program since they live too far and can’t keep up with the work due to long hours and commuting. But it’s doable. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

We live in all parts of the tri-state area. There’s one trainee now that’s from NJ. I’ve seen people drop out of the program since they live too far and can’t keep up with the work due to long hours and commuting. But it’s doable. 

It's really how bad do you want man, there was someone in my phase one class coming from Yonkers by transit had to be at KO for 6AM, took 3 hours. If people want it they'll make it happen 

2 hours ago, jbass1993 said:

Anybody in here starting the new hire orientation tomorrow? It’s 3 days long. They must go over a lot of stuff. Super excited to finally be hired after all the tests and interviews etc 

Congrats again bro, happy for you man, I'll reach out to hear all about it !! The Studying Grind in back in gear !!!! Lol 

On 4/11/2023 at 2:26 PM, drenyce311 said:

No they don’t. You get a phone call. 

On the signals, there are some, for example: Begin ASC, and the aspect is literally “begin ASC”. On the test, do they really show the signal, with the BEGIN ASC on it? I feel like it’s too easy if it’s like that 

48 minutes ago, TripleZ said:

On the signals, there are some, for example: Begin ASC, and the aspect is literally “begin ASC”. On the test, do they really show the signal, with the BEGIN ASC on it? I feel like it’s too easy if it’s like that 

The way the have it in the packet is how they will show it on the test.  Cause how you see them on paper is how you will see them in the field.  They want you to recognize and identify the aspect.  So some are pretty simple while other you will have to study more to learn them.  

5 hours ago, TripleZ said:

Yes. They’ll show you a picture of the signal. Name the signal. It’s not difficult. The difficult part is when you have 5 different signal types for one signal aspect. People get confused. The hard part is the written test. When you have to write out the indication of the signal. In the written there’s no picture just text. Example: “Approach Medium - _____________________”. Remember it’s all verbatim. You add an extra letter or misspell it, it will be MARKED WRONG.there’s go the 100% to move on. 

Edited by drenyce311

On 4/14/2023 at 1:47 AM, drenyce311 said:

Yes. They’ll show you a picture of the signal. Name the signal. It’s not difficult. The difficult part is when you have 5 different signal types for one signal aspect. People get confused. The hard part is the written test. When you have to write out the indication of the signal. In the written there’s no picture just text. Example: “Approach Medium - _____________________”. Remember it’s all verbatim. You add an extra letter or misspell it, it will be MARKED WRONG.there’s go the 100% to move on. 

They said spelling doesn’t really count

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody take the test today on 4/30/23? I was surprised to see that the signal aspect part 1 of the test was all 133 signals that you had to write the aspect. Was not expecting that. Pretty sure everyone on reddit said only 25 aspects. I specifically asked this question and people said that it would be only 25 or 30 signals for the aspect and indication and 25 definitions. I passed the signal aspect though anyways. But I got I think 2 indications wrong and pretty sure I got all the definitions right. 

32 minutes ago, JTTMI2020 said:

Anybody take the test today on 4/30/23? I was surprised to see that the signal aspect part 1 of the test was all 133 signals that you had to write the aspect. Was not expecting that. Pretty sure everyone on reddit said only 25 aspects. I specifically asked this question and people said that it would be only 25 or 30 signals for the aspect and indication and 25 definitions. I passed the signal aspect though anyways. But I got I think 2 indications wrong and pretty sure I got all the definitions right. 

How do you know that you passed the signal aspect? Is there a way to check the score?

3 hours ago, JTTMI2020 said:

Why would you rely on Reddit to tell you what would be on the signal and definition test when the people who led the signal and definition overview you were at a few weeks ago, explicitly said you would have to know all 133 signals plus 20 indications and 20 definitions of which you need to score a 100% on signals and 80% on the definition and indication part...

4 hours ago, RRR said:

How do you know that you passed the signal aspect? Is there a way to check the score?

You get passed the indications/definitions part 2 of the test and they grade part 1 aspect test as your doing part 2. If you fail the aspect test they come up to you and tell you your out and you leave without fully completing the part 2.  I know i passed because I studied and wrote out every aspect, indication and definition so much that I have calluses all over my hands and they didn't tell me to leave lol

Edited by JTTMI2020

1 hour ago, alleiter said:

Why would you rely on Reddit to tell you what would be on the signal and definition test when the people who led the signal and definition overview you were at a few weeks ago, explicitly said you would have to know all 133 signals plus 20 indications and 20 definitions of which you need to score a 100% on signals and 80% on the definition and indication part...

Uhhh obviously you need to know all 133 signals, that's a given. I studied so much so it didnt matter to me. But I'm just saying people on here and reddit said only 20 something aspects. So I'm just saying this for people in the future. Im not sure if they changed it or if it was just a miscommunication. So then why do you post on here?...what's the point if you don't believe anyone who posts here or if anyone should believe what you post.

Just because they say at the overview that you need to know all the signals doesn't really imply that they all will be on the test. They say that about the aspects and definitions also and theirs only 20/25 of them on the test....they did not specifically say at the overview that their will be 133 aspect questions. They didn't say how many questions for any part....

Edited by JTTMI2020

36 minutes ago, JTTMI2020 said:

You get passed the indications/definitions part 2 of the test and they grade part 1 aspect test as your doing part 2. If you fail the aspect test they come up to you and tell you your out and you leave without fully completing the part 2.  I know i passed because I studied and wrote out every aspect, indication and definition so much that I have calluses all over my hands and they didn't tell me to leave lol

Back then they didn’t tell you if you passed or not. They let everyone finish due to legal reasons. 

5 hours ago, JTTMI2020 said:

This as been covered numerous times in this group about ALL signals being there. The 25 signals was for the old conductors exam. Now I think it’s all 133 for them also. Best of luck 

Edited by drenyce311

2 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

This as been covered numerous times in this group about ALL signals being there. The 25 signals was for the old conductors exam. Now I think it’s all 133 for them also. Best of luck 

Maybe that's what it was, I know I seen a post someone took the conductor test and they said it was 25 signal aspects. And they said it's the same test as the engineer test. Which now I see is wrong. I mean no matter how many were on the test or not, you still need to know all of them even if their was less...but i had a brain fart and got tripped up on restricting/medium approach but worked through it lol

4 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

Back then they didn’t tell you if you passed or not. They let everyone finish due to legal reasons. 

I guess they are flip flopping on this because I know some people either didn't get told at all and did the whole test, someone I know said they handed part 1 in and then they would grade it and hand you the second packet if you passed(which this is what they said they would do at my overview) but they were telling people as they were starting the indications that they were done, in a nice way at my test. The holding of the indication/definition packet back till they are done grading the signal packet would seem like an issue and maybe why they did it the way they did. Someone could say that it cut into their time to finish the test and they felt rushed etc...

Edited by JTTMI2020

22 hours ago, RRR said:

Has anyone from 4/30/23 S&D got called for panel?

I got called saturday to start phase 1 this Wednesday and to do my panel and medical while I'm doing phase 1. Did they email you telling you that you passed the S&D? Just have to be patient. They go by the highest scores, they try to get the highest scores to start first.

20 minutes ago, JTTMI2020 said:

I got called saturday to start phase 1 this Wednesday and to do my panel and medical while I'm doing phase 1. Did they email you telling you that you passed the S&D? Just have to be patient. They go by the highest scores, they try to get the highest scores to start first.

They don’t email if you passed. They call you to let you know if you passed. And yes. The highest scores go first. 

1 hour ago, drenyce311 said:

They don’t email if you passed. They call you to let you know if you passed. And yes. The highest scores go first. 

Well they didn't call me, I got a email saying I passed 3 days after the test...then got a call 3 days later about starting phase 1 and doing the medical and panel while doing phase 1. Didn't get any call about passing, just an email.