Two Questions

GreeneggsnPelham

Hey Guys--

Been looking through my signal diagrams as I'm continuing work on the B Division route for Trainz 12, and I came across two interesting things--one has had me stumped for awhile, and the other is a recent find:

1) What does "UK" mean when printed next to some automatic signals? My hunch tells me it has something to do with keying by, but the "U" throws me off. Usually next to these signals there is an asterisk directing me to a note, and the note usually says "Installed a 10-sec key by timer for Signal _____". Any motormen willing to help solve this riddle?

2) I know that in the Second System IND plans, there were provisions to extend the (D) past 205 St, but those were shelved along with the entire Second System when the Depression hit. The signal diagram depicting the 205 St station and its tailtracks was last updated in 1989 (according to the collection I have), and at the C1 & C2 bumpers east of the station there is a note that says "Temporary Bumpers". My question: Is an extension past 205 St still on the table at present? It would seem odd to have the note of temporary bumpers still present 60 years after the extension was shelved; if there are newer updated diagrams of this section (MW7C-1642), does that note still exist?

Thanks again!

-A  :ph34r:

Hey Guys--

Been looking through my signal diagrams as I'm continuing work on the B Division route for Trainz 12, and I came across two interesting things--one has had me stumped for awhile, and the other is a recent find:

1) What does "UK" mean when printed next to some automatic signals? My hunch tells me it has something to do with keying by, but the "U" throws me off. Usually next to these signals there is an asterisk directing me to a note, and the note usually says "Installed a 10-sec key by timer for Signal _____". Any motormen willing to help solve this riddle?

2) I know that in the Second System IND plans, there were provisions to extend the (D) past 205 St, but those were shelved along with the entire Second System when the Depression hit. The signal diagram depicting the 205 St station and its tailtracks was last updated in 1989 (according to the collection I have), and at the C1 & C2 bumpers east of the station there is a note that says "Temporary Bumpers". My question: Is an extension past 205 St still on the table at present? It would seem odd to have the note of temporary bumpers still present 60 years after the extension was shelved; if there are newer updated diagrams of this section (MW7C-1642), does that note still exist?

Thanks again!

1) I think it has to do something with keying by but I am not sure

2) I am stumped, I have no clue why.

It's UK on the pages, lookie here:

UKkeyby.jpg

From: http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Subway_Signals:_A_Complete_Guide

Signals in the vicinity of switches ("switch-tracks", "points" (UK)) must be and are controlled in a coordinated fashion known as interlocking, which usually involves a human tower operator selecting the routings of trains.

I guess UK is United Kingdom where switches are called "points."

This is outside of 81 St on the upper level local track, and there are no switches going northbound in the vicinity until past 125 St, as normal traffic on the upper level of the CPW subway is north.

The pocket track exists on both levels between 72 and 81, but the approaches to each station are not bidirectionally signaled.

I also have looked at other pages in my book, and this is a different marking than "AK", so I'm still stumped.

Then they'd probably be more creative than I. I didn't think my title through---apologies?

BTW could you possibly show some pics of your track diagrams?

I could do that. It would be a few pages/requests, but not something like "Hey can you please show us 8 Av from 207 to 59". Also, www.nycsubway.org has several pages on there already, so I'm not going to post duplicates of what's already there. Start a separate topic, and I'll see what I can do.

Archived