Why are so many depots short on artics?

Via Garibaldi 8

It always baffles me why the Bx4 has Artics, I can understand it being a route with 40FT buses but artics? That along with the M34 getting SBS before a route like the Bx19 puzzles me..

the M34 getting SBS was all about marketing crosstown bus service to be improved from it's reputation of being barely better than walking. 34 St was picked due to the huge commuter and shopping activity on it and the fact that it ran less buses then most other crosstowns (basically, it cost less to put SBS on 34th then somewhere where it could have been more useful).

MTA logic as simply as can be explained = be cheap (unless we're dealing with capital projects)

the M34 getting SBS was all about marketing crosstown bus service to be improved from it's reputation of being barely better than walking. 34 St was picked due to the huge commuter and shopping activity on it and the fact that it ran less buses then most other crosstowns (basically, it cost less to put SBS on 34th then somewhere where it could have been more useful).

MTA logic as simply as can be explained = be cheap (unless we're dealing with capital projects)

Keep in mind the original plan for 34th St was not an SBS, but a full-length separated busway that would've helped not only the M34 and M34A, but improved reliability and provided more pickup space for the various express and intercity buses that do pickup in that area.

Then people started getting antsy about losing parking and DOT pulled the plug on it, but they couldn't exactly just bin the whole thing since they put a lot of hype on this one street, so they made it into an SBS to save face.

The M34 in my opinion didn't need Artics at all. However of course it was to make SBS as well as the route look better. The M42 doesn't lag as much as the M34 does so I guess they thought SBS would make a big difference.

I beg to differ...

The stop on 34 St/1 Av alone going west had the line for the bus stretching around the block often. Any bus leaving their respective terminal often got packed at that stop alone

I beg to differ...

The stop on 34 St/1 Av alone going west had the line for the bus stretching around the block often. Any bus leaving their respective terminal often got packed at that stop alone

Aside from that the frequencies aren't that great, so having to wait and have a bus pass you up isn't exactly great either.

I've been noticing that on quite a few routes that are usually 100% artic, I've been seeing quite a few 40 footers.  M79 is one of them that really needs artics all of the time.  Last night while I was on the BxM4 up and down the Concourse I saw 40 footers, which is not the first time I've seen this either, but it seems to be becoming more common.  I thought the (MTA) bought more artics, so what's the story?  Is maintenance becoming worse or what?

A bus is a bus. 40 fters are capable just as artics. I'm an operator, give me any bus and i'll make it happen. Things happen BRO. Don't worry about what the MTA does with its buses.The MTA does an outstanding job to provide service to the public. Behind the scenes things are more complex and i'll just leave it as that. SAFETY FIRST.

A bus is a bus. 40 fters are capable just as artics. I'm an operator, give me any bus and i'll make it happen. Things happen BRO. Don't worry about what the MTA does with its buses.The MTA does an outstanding job to provide service to the public. Behind the scenes things are more complex and i'll just leave it as that. SAFETY FIRST.

LOL... Are you kidding with that safety first spiel?? There is nothing "safe" about having overcrowded conditions on lines that should be operating with artics.  That's the point.  Aside from that, as a paying passenger, I think I have a right to question what the (MTA) is doing with their fleet and why they don't have enough articulated buses to cover lines that they should be on.  

LOL... Are you kidding with that safety first spiel?? There is nothing "safe" about having overcrowded conditions on lines that should be operating with artics.  That's the point.  Aside from that, as a paying passenger, I think I have a right to question what the (MTA) is doing with their fleet and why they don't have enough articulated buses to cover lines that they should be on.  

You do have a right. You can question what the MTA is doing with their fleet. Good luck in finding your answer for your question.......paying passenger lol .Just know they do an outstanding job in trying to provide service. And by that i mean , you have maintenance, the yard dispatcher and the bus operator working with what they got to better serve the public. In short, buses break down all the time and maintenance are working literally 24hrs to get these buses on the road again. If a bus isn't safe for operations there is no way it is going out until the issues are fixed. So if there are a shortage of artics on a route be thankful that they have a safe working 40 fter to cover that run.

You do have a right. You can question what the MTA is doing with their fleet. Good luck in finding your answer for your question.......paying passenger lol .Just know they do an outstanding job in trying to provide service. And by that i mean , you have maintenance, the yard dispatcher and the bus operator working with what they got to better serve the public. In short, buses break down all the time and maintenance are working literally 24hrs to get these buses on the road again. If a bus isn't safe for operations there is no way it is going out until the issues are fixed. So if there are a shortage of artics on a route be thankful that they have a safe working 40 fter to cover that run.

lol... The (MTA) is a public agency that is supposed to be providing service to the public and that public is not only paying for that service, but also providing funding via taxes for that service, so I'm not going to be "grateful" for a service that my tax dollars towards.  They also have received federal funding for some of these artics that are on these SBS routes, and they should be held accountable as to how they are maintaining their buses.  Now your depot may work hard when it comes to maintenance, but you are using a blanket statement that simply doesn't apply to all depots.  All depots do not have uniform maintenance and if they did, you probably wouldn't have this shortage of buses.

Last night I had to run an errand on Staten Island.  Used the express bus to and from... Both buses I got on, they were in TERRIBLE shape.  It was a miracle that they didn't break down.  On the other hand Yonkers Depot has buses that are close to 10 years old that look and run WAYYY better.  Why? Because Yonkers has VERY good maintenance, similar to Quill.

lol... The (MTA) is a public agency that is supposed to be providing service to the public and that public is not only paying for that service, but also providing funding via taxes for that service, so I'm not going to be "grateful" for a service that my tax dollars towards.  They also have received federal funding for some of these artics that are on these SBS routes, and they should be held accountable as to how they are maintaining their buses.  Now your depot may work hard when it comes to maintenance, but you are using a blanket statement that simply doesn't apply to all depots.  All depots do not have uniform maintenance and if they did, you probably wouldn't have this shortage of buses.

Last night I had to run an errand on Staten Island.  Used the express bus to and from... Both buses I got on, they were in TERRIBLE shape.  It was a miracle that they didn't break down.  On the other hand Yonkers Depot has buses that are close to 10 years old that look and run WAYYY better.  Why? Because Yonkers has VERY good maintenance, similar to Quill.

Okay okay you win. I think you should ask the MTA directly then and not on the forums for a more direct answer.

Did you get your answer paying passenger?

Actually no, but I'm satisfied with the possible reasons given.  However, I don't see what would be so "complicated" (according to you) that it couldn't be answered.  It can only be so many variables.  The (MTA) has "X" amount of buses.  They either junked too many of them, have issues with certain fleet, have too many buses out of service due to poor maintenance at some depot(s) or something along those lines.

That's the whole point of this forum... There are folks on here that are usually knowledgeable enough to answer something like this.

No, the point of this forum is for bus and rail fans to discuss current events and ideas among ourselves.

If you want (MTA) staff to pick up on your idea, then you should start with an e-mail to  (MTA) through its web site... http://web.mta.info/faqs.htm/

No, the point of this forum is for bus and rail fans to discuss current events and ideas among ourselves.

If you want (MTA) staff to pick up on your idea, then you should start with an e-mail to  (MTA) through its web site... http://web.mta.info/faqs.htm/

I don't recall asking for (MTA) staff to pick up on anything, but thanks for your unsolicited advice.  Speaking of (MTA) staff, I didn't know any better, I'd wonder if you're an (MTA) staff impersonator the way you go on around here.

Archived