Why are so many depots short on artics?

Via Garibaldi 8

Do you use the route for the entire length? If not then maybe that's the reason why you can't figure it out. The Bx4 has more ridership than the Bx5, and the Bx5 also uses artics...

http://web.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_bus_annual.htm

I rode both branches of the Bx4 the entire length. Not once did they get that crowded.

The Bx5, however, does get crowded very badly, specifically at White Plains Road. That's the reason there are so many short turns at White Plains Road weekdays. Just because the Bx4 has more ridership than the Bx5 dosen't mean the Bx4 gets more crowded than the Bx5.

I rode both branches of the Bx4 the entire length. Not once did they get that crowded.

Are you judging the entire service day on the basis on one trip at an unspecified time? That's like visiting Rockaway Parkway at noon, seeing an empty train, and then demanding 4-car (L) trains at all times. (Yes, former NYCT President Alan Kiepper actually made that demand in the early 1990's, but was somehow talked out of implementing it.)  

Are you judging the entire service day on the basis on one trip at an unspecified time? That's like visiting Rockaway Parkway at noon, seeing an empty train, and then demanding 4-car (L) trains at all times. (Yes, former NYCT President Alan Kiepper actually made that demand in the early 1990's, but was somehow talked out of implementing it.)  

Who said I rode it ONCE? I use that route a lot. It just a few times i desided to ride the full segments(at most 3 for each branch). I usually study bus routes in the evening rush hours. 

Are you kidding me? The Bx4, despite it's sluggishness and it's overshadowing of three train lines, is a heavily used route. Sure it's not as heavily demanded as the 40/42 or the 12, but to put 40-footers on the 4 is completely futile and ridiculous.

Ok, since apparently I can't tell where the Bx4 is heavily used, where is the Bx4 most used and what direction is it going at the time? 

Who said I rode it ONCE? I use that route a lot. It just a few times i desided to ride the full segments(at most 3 for each branch). I usually study bus routes in the evening rush hours. 

Ok, since apparently I can't tell where the Bx4 is heavily used, where is the Bx4 most used and what direction is it going at the time? 

I think it should be obvious that if the bus has more ridership than the Bx5 it must get heavy usage at some point.  You can't judge a route based on when you ride it.  That's ridiculous... Some routes also have ridership that fluctuates a lot, but it's good to have enough room for riders than to have buses bypassing them because there isn't enough room.

I think it should be obvious that if the bus has more ridership than the Bx5 it must get heavy usage at some point.  You can't judge a route based on when you ride it.  That's ridiculous... Some routes also have ridership that fluctuates a lot, but it's good to have enough room for riders than to have buses bypassing them because there isn't enough room.

Just to point out, according to the ridership diagram, the Bx3, Bx6, Bx21, and Bx35 has a lot more ridership than both the Bx4 and Bx5. Shouldn't these routes have artics based on this logic?

Just to point out, according to the ridership diagram, the Bx3, Bx6, Bx21, and Bx35 has a lot more ridership than both the Bx4 and Bx5. Shouldn't these routes have artics based on this logic?

Not necessary... It depends on the frequencies and if there are points along the line where ridership justifies using artics as opposed to an additional 40 footer.

The Q60 really doesn't need them. The Q17 can use them during rush hours especially with that Francis Lewis High School Tripper. Other than that the route is alright. The B6 and B35 I can agree with because they are within the top 10 highest ridership list. Then most of the routes you listed already have articulated buses already.

I always suggest the Q25 but people on here are like oh CP is a CNG depot.I always say so is WF and all CP needs to do is get rid of some of them express routes.

The Q60 really doesn't need them. The Q17 can use them during rush hours especially with that Francis Lewis High School Tripper. Other than that the route is alright. The B6 and B35 I can agree with because they are within the top 10 highest ridership list. Then most of the routes you listed already have articulated buses already.

I always suggest the Q25 but people on here are like oh CP is a CNG depot.I always say so is WF and all CP needs to do is get rid of some of them express routes.

If anything, the Q25 can get transfered to LGA during winter pick.

Once again, Staten Island gets shafted lol

Lol I didn't include it because I NEVER rode a bus in Staten Island.

Well, apparently you agree with this guy.....

well I partially agree with "this guy"

The routes I would put on artics on are:

B6

B15

B35

B41

B44 (SBS)

B46

B82

Bx1

Bx2

Bx6

Bx9

Bx12

Bx15

Bx19

Bx22

Bx28/38

Bx36

Bx40/42

Bx41

M14

M15

M23

M34

M60

M86

M100

M101/102/103

Q10

Q17

Q25

Q27

Q44

Q52/53

Q58

Q60

Q111(maybe)

Q113/Q114

Half of them already have artics

If it was possible (but it isn't), I would've considered moving the QM3,5,6,8 to Queens Village, while CP gets a split of the Q27/Q88, and the X63 gets moved to JFK. Because it's a NYCT to MTA Bus (and vice versa) transfer, and union transfers, this can't happen.

well I partially agree with "this guy"

yeah, right, In terms of you two thinking artics should be ran on the Bx28......

The Q60 really doesn't need them.

This.

The Q60's problem is & has been (for the longest), bunching.... By some miracle that problem gets fixed, I think most will see quell these artics on the Q60 mentions.... Hell, ridership on the Q23 & the Q53 is similar to that of the Q60, and I don't think I've heard one person make a case for artics on either those routes..... It would be fool's gold to run artics on the 60 IMO - Then it'll become *the Q60 needs to go back to running the 40'*....

In short, be careful for what you wish for.....

The Bx5, however, does get crowded very badly, specifically at White Plains Road. That's the reason there are so many short turns at White Plains Road weekdays. Just because the Bx4 has more ridership than the Bx5 dosen't mean the Bx4 gets more crowded than the Bx5.

Are you kidding me? The Bx4, despite it's sluggishness and it's overshadowing of three train lines, is a heavily used route. Sure it's not as heavily demanded as the 40/42 or the 12, but to put 40-footers on the 4 is completely futile and ridiculous.

I wonder why there are artics on the Bx4. Sometimes it's crowded, but most of the times it's not. I see some Orion Vs on the 4 and they aren't too crowded.

The routes I would put on artics on are:

B6

B15

B35

B41

B44 (SBS)

B46

B82

Bx1

Bx2

Bx6

Bx9

Bx12

Bx15

Bx19

Bx22

Bx28/38

Bx36

Bx40/42

Bx41

M14

M15

M23

M34

M60

M86

M100

M101/102/103

Q10

Q17

Q25

Q27

Q44

Q52/53

Q58

Q60

Q111(maybe)

Q113/Q114

There are some artics on the Bx36 during Rush Hours. The Bx36 probably need artics during Rush Hours. I don't think the Bx28/38 need artics in my opinion. The Bx6 definitely need artics during Rush Hours.

Archived