MTA stats show more subway trains are late

Q113 LTD

The problem is that transit employees cannot "enforce the fare". Several have attempted to do so and lost their lives in the line of duty. They are not allowed to defend themselves in as much as it saves their life. But the second they injure their attacker, all the lawyers line up trying to get some scumbag felon paid and cause the driver to lose his job (like the guy in Cleveland, to use another city as an example, who was completely justified in uppercutting some dumb broad to get her off his bus after she spat at him and attempted to attack him as the bus was moving.

This requires a dedicated paid security force, which would offset the revenue gained, or the police.

Police have been doing this in greater numbers in recent years, and now you're seeing all the b****ing that results as people complain about getting ticketed for so called "low level" violations. A low level violation is still a violation. And it's accused of being "racist" when it leads to an arrest because someone is either not carrying ID, or has warrants outstanding.

This city is so mindf***ed sometimes it's unbelievable.

It is clear that nationwide there are a lot of people who need to be rooted out of their comfort zone where they have been festering for years profitting off the middle class and scamming for a living. That goes on both ends of the economic spectrum.

Of course the employees shouldn't do it.  The (MTA) needs to take care of it.  I'm of the belief like Bratton says that low level crimes lead to bigger ones. The same people not paying the fare are usually the ones holding up the trains further delaying them.

Of course the employees shouldn't do it.  The (MTA) needs to take care of it.  I'm of the belief like Bratton says that low level crimes lead to bigger ones. The same people not paying the fare are usually the ones holding up the trains further delaying them.

How exactly is an organization supposed to enforce the fare, if not for its employees? Transit Police is a division of NYPD, so the ball is in their court if we're not getting MTA employees involved.

How exactly is an organization supposed to enforce the fare, if not for its employees? Transit Police is a division of NYPD, so the ball is in their court if we're not getting MTA employees involved.

Tada.... I don't see what they are used for.  Anytime I see them they are hanging out around Grand Central.  Way to earn that salary... <_<

Tada.... I don't see what they are used for.  Anytime I see them they are hanging out around Grand Central.  Way to earn that salary... <_<

I don't know about the ones at GC, but you should see the ones at NY-Penn early on late friday nights/early saturday mornings & sunday mornings....

I see more of those guys talking to those 1/2 naked women (who I swear look like clones of each other w/ the shit they wear) that wait for the LIRR than anything... I've even see a couple of them (separate instances) following women to their trains.... Then I say to myself, what the f*** is it you guys are supposed to be doing again....

I don't know about the ones at GC, but you should see the ones at NY-Penn early on late friday nights/early saturday mornings & sunday mornings....

I see more of those guys talking to those 1/2 naked women (who I swear look like clones of each other w/ the shit they wear) that wait for the LIRR than anything... I've even see a couple of them (separate instances) following women to their trains.... Then I say to myself, what the f*** is it you guys are supposed to be doing again....

Exactly... Always hanging out....

I mean, we have to leave that up to Bratton (unfortunately), who currently has much bigger issues on his plate at this point in time.

Did merging Transit Police with NYPD actually do anything good?

You're all missing the point. Even if the MTA is able to make a killing off these deals, it's a drop in the bucket.

Government throws money at something small (like New South Ferry) and walks away. Everything has recurring maintenance costs, these are never funded. The whole "capital budget / operating budget" split doesn't work because you have to increase both to fund an expansion, since you need annual amounts dedicated to its maintenance once it's complete. The MTA doesn't get this.

Government doesn't get that it is incumbent on itself to fund the MTA's longer term expansion since that's their role. The MTA is not allowed to sit on piles of cash to set aside for future expansion (if it was sitting on money, Albany would "borrow" it, or the calls would start to lower the fare, etc.), so they will always be in a state of near-broke. This is why it was set up this way by politicians. They learned from all the b****ching in the 1940s, up until the fare finally went up that the city and government could not take heat when issues arose. So the MTA was created as a giant political scapegoat so that elected officials did not have to answer for their failures in public transit.

Exactly the same as Amtrak. And probably in another hundred years, the airlines.

A few million dollars in real estate rents wouldn't change any of this.

I could not agree more. Well said. It's just so unfortunate that it is this way. Albany is the problem because state pols benefit from the way the MTA (and other government agencies in NY) is set up. It is their fault the MTA isn't properly funded for operations and expansion. And yet, they refuse to own up to it and do things differently.

Archived