NJ Transit mulitilevel Discussions

Eric Kreszl

So what's the story with the weight issue. Its been debated all too long. What's the big deal?

I don't know about the weight issues but I know Height was a MAJOR issue due to the Hudson River tunnels and that was why it took so long to be developed.

Eric

I have yet to see them in person. I'm going to be in the Hoboken area in two weeks. Will I be able to see one in the Hoboken Terminal?

I have only seen one bi-level car there and that was there for training employees. I don't think they can use them in Hoboken due to the height of the train sheds but I'm not sure though.

Eric

I have yet to see them in person. I'm going to be in the Hoboken area in two weeks. Will I be able to see one in the Hoboken Terminal?

Well, unless NJT puts a consist on the Morris & Essex line soon, you won't see one unless they have one car there for training purposes anytime soon.

Once they're all delivered you should see them on MidTOWN DIRECT,NJCL and NEC Trains to/from Penn Station

they're are two sets that have been in service for a while now on the NEC (1 eight car set with an ALP-46 and 1 eleven car set with an ALP-46 on each end) you can find them on the 6:03a.m,7:10 a.m,2:17 p.m. trains from Trenton and the 10:28 a.m.,5:16 p.m., 5:30 p.m. trains to Trenton.....and there's a third set that just started service(which is a 6 car set with an ALP-46) ......running on the 5:10 a.m., 8:51 a.m. and 2:38 p.m trains from Trenton to NYand the 6:31 a.m. 11:01 a.m., 4:28 p.m. and 8:07 p.m. trains from NY to Trenton

and there's a third set that just started service(which is a 6 car set with an ALP-46) ......running on the 5:10 a.m., 8:51 a.m. and 2:38 p.m trains from Trenton to NYand the 6:31 a.m. 11:01 a.m., 4:28 p.m. and 8:07 p.m. trains from NY to Trenton

Where did you hear that? And don't you mean 8 car train cause 6 car isn't enough for NEC service....

But really, I've never heard of a 3rd set in service and running those times unless this happened VERY VERY recent.

Then that's where I will most likely go see them at. I was waiting for that answer thanks Pablo. I haven't been in NYP since 2003.

Heres a link to the NJT Press release about 2 ML sets in service. It shows the train numbers they run on.

http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=PressReleaseTo&PRESS_RELEASE_ID=2345

All three runs to NYP are Super Expresses which means the only stops it making are Trenton, Hamilton, Princeton, Newark Penn Station, New York Penn Station.

Two out of the three runs to Trenton are Super Expresses, Train number 3967 and 3969 and the stops are NYP, NWK Penn, Princeton, Hamilton, Trenton. The 10:28 is a local to Trenton.

Hello,

I'm wondering now if Compatability with the Diesel Consists are going to be an issue. The reason I'm saying this is because NJ Transit has been such a pain in reguards to assigning certain Diesel locomotives to certain trains. The issue with the PL42AC locomotives was that they were not compatable with the comet 5 cars which by the way I know is FALSE as I see PL42AC's with comet 5 cars ALL THE TIME. When the Bi-level test train ran down the NJCL it had a PL42AC at the end of it. You don't even see the orginal 12 GP40PH-2's 4100-4112 on the NJCL except once in a blue moon for who knows why.

So I wonder.

Eric

Where did you hear that?And don't you mean 8 car train cause 6 car isn't enough for NEC service.... I've never heard of a 3rd set in service and running those times unless this happened VERY VERY recent.

This is where I heard it

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2007/08/more_multilevel_rail_cars_arri.html

..............and six car sets run on the Metropark Exp Trains that terminate at Jersey Ave from time to time...and dont forget these are Multi-levels meaning that they have more capacity....so a six car multi-level set probaly has slightly less or just about the same amount of seats as an eight car set...and personally I've come to the conclusion that there are just some NEC trains that will always be packed....no matter how many cars you put on it

Archived