LIRR Assistant Conductor hiring process ?

wilammh0lla

So i took the Signal and definitions test and passed with a high score for the assistant conductor position. I took the panel interview the same day (nov.20). I remember them saying they will be selecting about 7 people for the january class and the rest for february also there might be a may class as well. I figured my odds were good for the january class because only about 13 people passed. A month later I have not received a letter in the mail saying I was no longer eligible and I E-mailed HR and they told me I needed to verify 1 job for my background check (dec. 16). I guess I passed the panel if they are doing a background check. Fast forward to now and still no word yet. Does anyone know how long the process might be to get a call back or some type of communication if you got selected for the position and should I E-mail them back for an update? kind of in the dark here and anxious but I don't want to jeopardize anything.

Congrats! just be patient and always check your email or voice messages. they might not have enough people to do a class. background check is thorough and everything on your resume needs to check out. did you get measured for the uniform?

Congrats! just be patient and always check your email or voice messages. they might not have enough people to do a class. background check is thorough and everything on your resume needs to check out. did you get measured for the uniform?

Thanks.. and yeh i got measured the same day right before my panel interview. I guess i'll just take your advice and be patient.

• 1 month later...

Hey C George! I have a question! On the background check top left corner it says "COMPLETE REPORT - CONSIDER". Not sure of this is a good thing or a bad thing. Went for the LE open house January 12th. Background check completed Jan 24th. Patiently waiting for that email for the S&D OVERVIEW.

i'm not sure what they look for in candidates. i know some took a while to get called and some got called instantly. i had a classmate and he took and passed the s&d months ahead of me and the people who took the test with him got called first. he was put in the later class. i'm sure they are still checking a few stuff. at least they haven't told you "no" yet. you already did everything you could and passed. at this point all you can do is wait.

Thanks!. I guess no news is good news. In the other thread another guy that was in the same Jan 12th open house, the interviewer told him sometime in March and his report says the same thing "COMPLETE REPORT - CONSIDER". I haven't gotten any emails or mail stating "Thank you for applying".  Been checking my inbox. Thanks for the info.

• 4 months later...

it may not be a deal breaker but it greatly help if you have a good credit history. you'll be handling money, just like banks they want an idea if you have issues with money. they want someone that is honest and they can trust not just with fare collection but with all valuables you find on the train.

good luck

i lost my Sony camera in 2004 on the Far Rockaway Branch train. never got it back. lol

Are you implying the conductor took it? You don't know how many times we will get a call on the radio to keep an eye out for an item a passenger left behind. Unfortunately, more often than not it is not found. Anything valuable that's not able to be tracked will end up walking before we see it.

Not implying anything. If a passenger took it. They took it. But I did call lost and found and it was never found. My apologies if I offended anyone. I even went back to the train station but it was too late. Train already pulled off.

• 1 year later...

Is the signal and definition test graded as 2 different test or is it graded together? Also how hard was it? mines is on the 31st

Two different tests but you must get 100% on the signals. The difficulty

of the test all depends on you and how much you want it by studying. You put in the time then you'll breeze right through it.

Two different tests but you must get 100% on the signals. The difficulty

of the test all depends on you and how much you want it by studying. You put in the time then you'll breeze right through it.

Oh ok so there cant even be a indication wrong ? I know the name must be correct 100% And im guessing there could be 5 wrong definitions in order to get the 80% on the definition part

Oh ok so there cant even be a indication wrong ? I know the name must be correct 100% And im guessing there could be 5 wrong definitions in order to get the 80% on the definition part

100% on the aspect, 80% on the indications and definitions.

• 2 weeks later...

So i took the Signal and definitions test and passed with a high score for the assistant conductor position. I took the panel interview the same day (nov.20). I remember them saying they will be selecting about 7 people for the january class and the rest for february also there might be a may class as well. I figured my odds were good for the january class because only about 13 people passed. A month later I have not received a letter in the mail saying I was no longer eligible and I E-mailed HR and they told me I needed to verify 1 job for my background check (dec. 16). I guess I passed the panel if they are doing a background check. Fast forward to now and still no word yet. Does anyone know how long the process might be to get a call back or some type of communication if you got selected for the position and should I E-mail them back for an update? kind of in the dark here and anxious but I don't want to jeopardize anything.

Did they ever get back to you ?

Archived