Metrocard Bus/Van Question

QM1to6Ave

I would imagine that you can since the vans also allow you to deal with the E-ZPass as well.  I must ask though,,, Why in God's name would you even use that anyway? That's primarily for seniors who can't get around that well and have limited options. We have a bus that I see from time to time here in Riverdale when walking to the express bus, but I haven't seen it in a long time...  Probably because I'm not always around that area.  Me personally I carry 3 - 4 cards and refill for two weeks at a time for the express bus.  I prefer to do it at the same station this way I know that I shouldn't have any problems.  I actually just refilled my card for two weeks today.

I know that you may live in an area that doesn't have options (same deal in Riverdale) but just stock up in the city.  There's one store near me that carries Metrocards, but they are usually ALWAYS out.  <_<

I would imagine that you can since the vans also allow you to deal with the E-ZPass as well.  I must ask though,,, Why in God's name would you even use that anyway? That's primarily for seniors who can't get around that well and have limited options. We have a bus that I see from time to time here in Riverdale when walking to the express bus, but I haven't seen it in a long time...  Probably because I'm not always around that area.  Me personally I carry 3 - 4 cards and refill for two weeks at a time for the express bus.  I prefer to do it at the same station this way I know that I shouldn't have any problems.  I actually just refilled my card for two weeks today.

I know that you may live in an area that doesn't have options (same deal in Riverdale) but just stock up in the city.  There's one store near me that carries Metrocards, but they are usually ALWAYS out.  <_<

Ha! Many of the locations are near hospitals (for the elderly and sick, as you said), so I see them a lot when I travel to the hospitals for work. Since they are right near me, I can cut out needing to look for a subway station and can get right onto the express bus. The problem is they are only in each location for short amounts of time so I'd need to time my travels just right. Still helpful to know they are an option. 

Ha! Many of the locations are near hospitals (for the elderly and sick, as you said), so I see them a lot when I travel to the hospitals for work. Since they are right near me, I can cut out needing to look for a subway station and can get right onto the express bus. The problem is they are only in each location for short amounts of time so I'd need to time my travels just right. Still helpful to know they are an option. 

Yeah, now that you can refill, I refill my card for two weeks at a time.  I keep about 3-4 Metrocards for refilling purposes, being sure to note if they're really worn out.  Every so many months I'll get rid of a few and buy a brand new one, either by paying the extra $1.00 or buying them from the store here in Riverdale.  I gather that you must be on the road a lot.  What I do is try to always have my passes expire by Sunday, this way if I'm too busy to refill on Friday, I can do so on Saturday.  Sometimes I'll take a late trip from Riverdale to the city on the express bus just to refill and run a few quick errands, as was the case a few Saturdays ago.  It's much easier than schlepping 20 - 25 minutes down the hill to the nearest subway (which is sketchy since the machines work like crap at 242nd-Van Cortlandt Park, along with the obnoxious folks asking if you need a cab  <_< when I do the return home back up the hill).

I aim to refill at stations where there's a token booth clerk nearby or where there's a lot of traffic or someone monitoring to avoid having people tamper with the machines, thus compromising my card information.

Does anyone know if I can use a credit or debit card to refill my pay-per-ride metrocard at a metrocard bus or van? Or are they basically token booths on wheels that only accept cash?

Yes as other wise on the MTA page it would say cash only just how it says for subway station booths.

Yeah, now that you can refill, I refill my card for two weeks at a time.  I keep about 3-4 Metrocards for refilling purposes, being sure to note if they're really worn out.  Every so many months I'll get rid of a few and buy a brand new one, either by paying the extra $1.00 or buying them from the store here in Riverdale.  I gather that you must be on the road a lot.  What I do is try to always have my passes expire by Sunday, this way if I'm too busy to refill on Friday, I can do so on Saturday.  Sometimes I'll take a late trip from Riverdale to the city on the express bus just to refill and run a few quick errands, as was the case a few Saturdays ago.  It's much easier than schlepping 20 - 25 minutes down the hill to the nearest subway (which is sketchy since the machines work like crap at 242nd-Van Cortlandt Park, along with the obnoxious folks asking if you need a cab  <_< when I do the return home back up the hill).

I aim to refill at stations where there's a token booth clerk nearby or where there's a lot of traffic or someone monitoring to avoid having people tamper with the machines, thus compromising my card information.

It's not so much that I'm on the road a lot, but that when I am I am oftentimes not near a subway. I prefer refilling one or two cards as opposed to buying a new pre-packaged one from the convenience stores near me since they ar often sold out. So, I'm going to try the metro card bus and see how that works.

Yes as other wise on the MTA page it would say cash only just how it says for subway station booths.

Thanks! I'll try it out this week and see how it goes

Does anyone know if I can use a credit or debit card to refill my pay-per-ride metrocard at a metrocard bus or van? Or are they basically token booths on wheels that only accept cash?

Yes, you can because I have seen it.

Also Westchester County Bee-Line bus riders depends on MetroCard Van or MetroCard Merchants, so credit cards are accept.

MetroCard mobiles has credit card sticker on their van/buses.

I wouldn't recommend using MetroCard Bus at Flushing because Flushing has longest line.

Yes, you can because I have seen it.

Also Westchester County Bee-Line bus riders depends on MetroCard Van or MetroCard Merchants, so credit cards are accept.

MetroCard mobiles has credit card sticker on their van/buses.

I wouldn't recommend using MetroCard Bus at Flushing because Flushing has longest line.

Thank you!

Why aren't you guys just using the Easy Pay Metrocard, and just let it Auto Refill.... God, I would lose my mind if I had to go through all of what VG8 goes through just to keep a MetroCard filled. 

Getting to the turnstile and seeing "Insufficient Fare" while the train was pulling into the station was enough to get on my nerves after a while. Easy Pay is a God-send, I have never looked back to using Finicky TVMs again....  

Why aren't you guys just using the Easy Pay Metrocard, and just let it Auto Refill.... God, I would lose my mind if I had to go through all of what VG8 goes through just to keep a MetroCard filled. 

Getting to the turnstile and seeing "Insufficient Fare" while the train was pulling into the station was enough to get on my nerves after a while. Easy Pay is a God-send, I have never looked back to using Finicky TVMs again....  

living in the middle of queens with no subway station and only buses, i love easy pay metrocard. never have to worry about a balance on my metrocard

Easy Pay doesn't apply to Express Bus passes, so that isn't an option, and even if it did, I wouldn't use it, as I like to be in control of when I refill.

I tried the EasyPay Xpress card for a while, but I found that constantly putting it through the fareboxes on the bused wore it out and it was such a hassle to get it replaced. A helpful S/A suggested I go back to regular MetroCard since those can easily be replaced at the station booth. 

I tried the EasyPay Xpress card for a while, but I found that constantly putting it through the fareboxes on the bused wore it out and it was such a hassle to get it replaced. A helpful S/A suggested I go back to regular MetroCard since those can easily be replaced at the station booth. 

I've been using Easy Pay for 3 years now, never had a Stripe wear out on me.... I have had the problem where it would take a Fare "Pass OK" when I know I have a Xfer available, but somehow the system always catches that and never bills my account for the trip that should've been a Xfer. If the Easy pay system was designed to Audit itself in this manner, its a +1 over the regular MCs which you just lose your $2.50 when that happens. 

So you actually use a Pay-Per-Ride? Interesting if you do, since I would imagine that you do more traveling than $55 a week which is what the express bus pass costs. At my old job, I got TransitChecks because my office had every Metrocard known to man kind except the express bus plus card <_<.  Those were a HUGE hassle because you had to have the exact amount (they could not be used at subway stations (go figure)), and they would not give you the difference in cash when you found a store or check cashing place that took the checks.  I considered doing the transit check program here, but since I consult on the side, I get to write off my transportation expenses, so I still save in that area.  I was all for the Easy Pay Xpress program until I found out that they don't do the Express bus card.

So you actually use a Pay-Per-Ride? Interesting if you do, since I would imagine that you do more traveling than $55 a week which is what the express bus pass costs. At my old job, I got TransitChecks because my office had every Metrocard known to man kind except the express bus plus card <_<.  Those were a HUGE hassle because you had to have the exact amount (they could not be used at subway stations (go figure)), and they would not give you the difference in cash when you found a store or check cashing place that took the checks.  I considered doing the transit check program here, but since I consult on the side, I get to write off my transportation expenses, so I still save in that area.  I was all for the Easy Pay Xpress program until I found out that they don't do the Express bus card.

Not sure why that can't offer the Express Bus Unlimited... Since they do offer every other kind of Unlimited. You'd think offering the Express Bus Unlimited would be huge for SI riders ... As I was told the Easy Pay MetroCard was designed primarily with the SI rider in mind. I guess maybe SI people aren't big users of Unlimiteds, they are primarily PPR people, would make sense, since a lot them own cars. 

Not sure why that can't offer the Express Bus Unlimited... Since they do offer every other kind of Unlimited. You'd think offering the Express Bus Unlimited would be huge for SI riders ... As I was told the Easy Pay MetroCard was designed primarily with the SI rider in mind. I guess maybe SI people aren't big users of Unlimiteds, they are primarily PPR people, would make sense, since a lot them own cars. 

I think that depends on the crowd.  I know of a relatively young guy who receives Express Bus Plus Metrocards from his job.   He lives on Staten Island (Mid Island or South Shore, I forget which area exactly), but when he is away traveling, he sells me his extra Metrocards at a reduced rate (circa $40.00 - 45.00 per card  :D) since he gets them each week, and sometimes I buy two or three of them from him at once.

I think the older folks tend to use the pay-per-rides for the express bus since they drive on the weekends and rarely come to the city.  When I lived in West Brighton, there was a lady that worked in advertising that took the express bus with me.  She worked from home 1 or 2 days a week, and thus used a pay-per-ride.  

I've been using Easy Pay for 3 years now, never had a Stripe wear out on me.... I have had the problem where it would take a Fare "Pass OK" when I know I have a Xfer available, but somehow the system always catches that and never bills my account for the trip that should've been a Xfer. If the Easy pay system was designed to Audit itself in this manner, its a +1 over the regular MCs which you just lose your $2.50 when that happens.

Interesting. I may have had bad luck with the cards. I find that the express buses (or at least the ones I use) tend to have fare boxes that pull the cards up and down a bunch of times, thus wearing them out.

I'm usually just under the $55 mark (I can work from home one or two days per week) so it's not cost effective for me. Though I have bought it on occasion when I knew I'd be traveling more than usual. That's another thing I like about the PPR, now that you can add unlimited time when necessary

Interesting. I may have had bad luck with the cards. I find that the express buses (or at least the ones I use) tend to have fare boxes that pull the cards up and down a bunch of times, thus wearing them out.

I'm usually just under the $55 mark (I can work from home one or two days per week) so it's not cost effective for me. Though I have bought it on occasion when I knew I'd be traveling more than usual. That's another thing I like about the PPR, now that you can add unlimited time when necessary

lol.... CP buses are the worst...

As for working from home, I could too but my boss frowns upon that...  <_<

Our benefits provider gave use the option of passes, checks or a prepaid reloadable Mastercard. When the benefit was $240 of pre-tax income, I used the Mastercard for my NJT pass (in actuality combination of cash and Prepaid Card) and the remainder of the prepaid balance for the 7 Day Express Bus Pass. Anything over the pre-tax limit, I used my credit card for the frequent flyer miles.

Since the benefit is now $130 of pre-tax monthly income, I bought the NJT pass and paid for my 7 Day X-Bus Passes with the credit card for the miles.

As for the other comments: I was pissed that the AutoPay option wasn't available to Express Bus unlimited cards, after a series of Metrocard failures, I am actually OK that they don't. (I'd have to remember to refill on the weekends or I'd have to get up extra early and walk down to the Eltingville Transit Center and take the x17J). Since refillable cards which came about in 2013 and my daily usage of the cards, I noticed they'd last 3-4 months on average before I got the g-d-awful farebox tone after dipping. The folks from Academy on the x23/x24 were merciless with bad cards, no swipe = cash (which luckily they take).  Then later having to reach into garbage cans for a tossed card to refill :mellow:, never paid a $1 for a card .

Our benefits provider gave use the option of passes, checks or a prepaid reloadable Mastercard. When the benefit was $240 of pre-tax income, I used the Mastercard for my NJT pass (in actuality combination of cash and Prepaid Card) and the remainder of the prepaid balance for the 7 Day Express Bus Pass. Anything over the pre-tax limit, I used my credit card for the frequent flyer miles.

Since the benefit is now $130 of pre-tax monthly income, I bought the NJT pass and paid for my 7 Day X-Bus Passes with the credit card for the miles.

As for the other comments: I was pissed that the AutoPay option wasn't available to Express Bus unlimited cards, after a series of Metrocard failures, I am actually OK that they don't. (I'd have to remember to refill on the weekends or I'd have to get up extra early and walk down to the Eltingville Transit Center and take the x17J). Since refillable cards which came about in 2013 and my daily usage of the cards, I noticed they'd last 3-4 months on average before I got the g-d-awful farebox tone after dipping. The folks from Academy on the x23/x24 were merciless with bad cards, no swipe = cash (which luckily they take).  Then later having to reach into garbage cans for a tossed card to refill :mellow:, never paid a $1 for a card .

LOL! I'd pony up the extra dollar rather than stick my hand in an NYC garbage can

LOL! I'd pony up the extra dollar rather than stick my hand in an NYC garbage can

Talk about irony.... lol Paying for the express bus but refuses to pay for a refill... lol You could avoid the garbage can scenario and just buy them in cash from a Metrocard merchant. 

Archived