Some news on Cortlandt Street (1)

MTA Bus

But the new WTC actually solves the wind problem by the plaza not being surrounded by buildings with minimal entrances. Also, it's a skyscraper. You really think they would fill up quickly? That's a lot of space and money always factors in. Lastly, the new WTC cut down the acreage of the superblock since the small streets have been reconnected with Greenwich Street. It's a beautiful area that provides, by technicality, another park to the area. Also, by hermetically sealed office space, are you referring to the thin windows? Because if so, the reason for that goes to Minorou Yamasaki's fear of heights. The windows being of shoulder to shoulder width creating a feeling of safety at such large heights. The new towers providing a sense of openness.

I'm beginning to think this is coming from personal biases, not actual public opinion.

When, if ever, did I actually frame this as a matter of public opinion?

By hermetically sealed offices, I'm talking about the fact that for all intents and purposes, the WTC was largely a self-contained city within a city that didn't do much for the neighborhood around it. 

Also, what exactly is the point of opening more office space in a project than all of Downtown Atlanta if Lower Manhattan office rents have been in a steep decline for quite a while now, and the neighborhood is turning from a business district into a more mixed-use neighborhood? If you look at all the private development proposed Downtown, basically all of it is residential, because the office market in the area is so weak and people are moving to Hudson Yards and Midtown.

While on the subject of the towers, my main gripe is they chose to put off the best looking building of the trio (tower 2) for last and with the money issues as it is, they might not even build it and leave it as a stump. Tower 2 should've been the first of the trio built or placed at the lower right hand corner. Tower 3 and 4 just don't look that great imo. Tower 1 being redesigned was a good move as it now resembles the former towers.

It was a ghost town after the trading day cause everyone went home. No one lived around there at the time.

It was more than just that.  While few people lived there until really the mid-to-late 1990s (even when Battery Park City was built you didn't have nearly the number of people living there you do now). There was the feeling without the WTC, many would flee the area entirely as I remember hearing about.  

Archived