How are C/R's and T/O's assigned trains?

duelingdragons

Hmm someone asked about the days off as Extra first off when you get out you will be Extra Extra. What that means is that your at the bottom of the totem pole. You may get Morning AMs, PM's, or Midnights days off depends on the Crew Office which you will belong too for quite a while.

My suggestion once you get on the road is to be nice to these people when you call them. If you call them to complain about the jobs you are getting heh you will be reporting to Far Rock, Carnarsie, Lefferts, 95th St and 4th Ave, or Stillwell when you live up lets say in the Bronx by 241st Wakefield that's if your in B division. However if you have a family matter like needing to pickup the kids and other things that no one else can do for you they will oblige but they will want proof. I knew a Conductor female that needed her days off changed to Sat and Sun for just a week cause her nanny was going on a week vaca. Crew Office wanted birth certificates and even the Nanny's tickets to where she was going.:eek:

Now when a pick comes about (where you get to pick what line you wanna work on, your vacation, days off, and pay location) they print up the Call Sheets. The Call Sheets is basically the seniority roster of all the Conductors and tells them what time and day they are scheduled to pick. There are different locations you can call or goto I wont get into all that. However when your new just look at the back of the sheets that's where you will find yourself. Now what happens is you will not be picking for about 3 or 4 picks, so you will become road extra. You then will have to write Crew Office a G2 stating what tour you would like to work and preferred days off this called a wish list.

You may get the tour you want but not the days off which is ok, like me I hate mornings and plus that everyone wants to be mornings is fine by me. I love to work pm's cause I get a lil more time to sleep plus night diff is great. That's the whole Extra thing in a nut shell also I guaranteed the guys that wanna goto IRT you will be at 150 Livingston the day you first start and the dude from the pick office comes in and says ya we got 5 spots in A division and the first 5 guys they call will pick A division and the rest to B Division thats what happened to me and to be honest I live by the (2) and (5) lines and I love the B division.

That's not good, I thought you could pick A or B. If I got stuck in the A-Div I'd probably try to transfer to the B if/when opportunity becomes available. I guess it's good if you live in the Bronx or uptown, maybe not from southern Bklyn. Can you get IRT reporting locations in Brooklyn or Manhattan [eventually]?

Some classes offer a choice between divisions, others throw the whole lot into one division with no choice at all. You can't predict whether a class will offer such a choice, it's all potluck.

Finally, Brooklyn IRT jobs are super hard to get. I would strongly advise, if you live in Brooklyn, to choose the B Division if it is available for you to take. Otherwise, be prepared to be going up to The Bronx for many years. To choose all five working days out of Brooklyn in the IRT would take you at least 8 years in title as a Conductor, and longer for Train Operator. When you finally are able to choose a job for the first time, it would consist of #1's OR #6's out of uptown during the week and you could get Brooklyn jobs on the weekends, but only on the late PM shift.

You will call on Fridays, after a certain time. They tell you what tour you will be doing the next week, and what your days off will be. Nothing is set in stone here, but they do try to give rookies off on Weekends when possible.

What you said is true in the A Division in that your tour and days off can change weekly.

In the B Division, you are given a tour and set of rdo's, and will keep those tour/rdo's until further notice. There's no need to call the Crew Office.

When you finally are able to choose a job for the first time, it would consist of #1's OR #6's out of uptown during the week

We A Div rooks we already told by the other A Div T/Os that we will see alot of the (1) which use to be a high seniority line, and the (6) which is now a line full of rookies. No one wants to do the 3/loop (3 trips, with break only at the northern end), cause that means being behind the controls for nearly 2 hrs. I look forward to the 6 line, as I am fond of the tattle tale equipment. If I can pick a sh!tty job over there no prob. I was a MaBSTOA B/O so I've done sh!tt!er jobs, just driving around those nuts out there........

What you said is true in the A Division in that your tour and days off can change weekly.

Well I am apart of the home of the Beast, and I ain't leaving unless by force. So it's something I will have to get used to. It's a dirty way to do a job, but someone has to waddle in the crap. That's me........

Finally, Brooklyn IRT jobs are super hard to get. I would strongly advise, if you live in Brooklyn, to choose the B Division if it is available for you to take. Otherwise, be prepared to be going up to The Bronx for many years. To choose all five working days out of Brooklyn in the IRT would take you at least 8 years in title as a Conductor, and longer for Train Operator. When you finally are able to choose a job for the first time, it would consist of #1's OR #6's out of uptown during the week and you could get Brooklyn jobs on the weekends, but only on the late PM shift.

Thanks for the info! It would be rough getting to the Bronx everyday from my area of Brooklyn. I don't even drive, so hopefully I won't get forced into the IRT. Good to hear at least some Brooklyn jobs might be possible weekends, though.

Archived