Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

4 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

that's assuming the union can stop fighting itself for five damn minutes... sigh... we pay you guys to fight management for us, not each other FFS...

I'm going to be honest with you... If you're coming into this still thinking this is a simple, straightforward job... You are in for the rude awaking of a lifetime.

When your partner commits a cardinal sin and you're BIE and you're trying to get RCC on the radio and they can't hear you and you've got a dozen angry passengers at your window demanding to know why you're not moving... You will really question your decision. 

When you see a person standing on the edge of the platform with a cane in his hands like he's up to bat, ready to attack you as you pass... You Will really question your decision.

When you have to clear out a train so it can be sent back to the yard and you're left wondering if the person you're currently trying to wake up is even still alive... you will really question your decision.

When you're assigned to clear out trains at a last stop due to construction and the other conductor who is assigned with you disappears for hours, leaving you alone with all the "wonderful" people... you will really question your decision.

When people refuse to take "I don't know what other trains are doing, I only know what I was explicitly told I will be doing" as an answer... you will really question your decision.

That last one was only this morning. there were several rail replacement projects the cropped up unannounced and my F train was rerouted, first express on sixth, then over the A via Cranberry to Jay. I had been given explicit instructions by a TSS on the platform 57th/6th, not by the tower nor RCC.

There was no GO, no papers, no preplanned announcements. I was conductoring by the seat of my pants, and when people asked me questions about what other trains will be doing, they would not accept "I don't know" as an answer.

This is one thing you really need to understand about passengers. If I have to explain how they view us in as simple a term as possible... They think we're The Borg. They think we have a hive mind that always knows what everyone else is doing.

There was also at least one person who was confused when we pulled in at Fulton Street and asked if there were no A's... because he didn't consider the A was fine and we were the ones who had the problem,

C'mon. Just tell those people "Yes sir" and "they'll make station announcements soon. Wait here and listen". 😂

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, goliver28 said:

Yesterday, I was there for orientation and today I’m here for the union reps and supervisors. They made it very clear about the backpacks. It’s a strict NO. What some of you said about holding the bag in your hand is not permitted. Gotta have a duffel bag. I’m just letting you all know what they told us conductors. 

Hence why getting a backpack duffle hybrid like the kaka or baosha bag is recommended esp for probies

We’re all ready for the challenges that go with being a train conductor. The job can’t be all that bad. I have family members that’s been working with MTA for 30 plus years, as train operator, retired 2 years ago, a family member who is an electrician with MTA, 2 currently working as train conductors…I’ve not heard any complaints. I guess every job has its ups and downs. But, we newbies and prospective newbies are up for the challenge. 

8 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

that's assuming the union can stop fighting itself for five damn minutes... sigh... we pay you guys to fight management for us, not each other FFS...

I'm going to be honest with you... If you're coming into this still thinking this is a simple, straightforward job... You are in for the rude awaking of a lifetime.

When your partner commits a cardinal sin and you're BIE and you're trying to get RCC on the radio and they can't hear you and you've got a dozen angry passengers at your window demanding to know why you're not moving... You will really question your decision. 

When you see a person standing on the edge of the platform with a cane in his hands like he's up to bat, ready to attack you as you pass... You Will really question your decision.

When you have to clear out a train so it can be sent back to the yard and you're left wondering if the person you're currently trying to wake up is even still alive... you will really question your decision.

When you're assigned to clear out trains at a last stop due to construction and the other conductor who is assigned with you disappears for hours, leaving you alone with all the "wonderful" people... you will really question your decision.

When people refuse to take "I don't know what other trains are doing, I only know what I was explicitly told I will be doing" as an answer... you will really question your decision.

That last one was only this morning. there were several rail replacement projects the cropped up unannounced and my F train was rerouted, first express on sixth, then over the A via Cranberry to Jay. I had been given explicit instructions by a TSS on the platform 57th/6th, not by the tower nor RCC.

There was no GO, no papers, no preplanned announcements. I was conductoring by the seat of my pants, and when people asked me questions about what other trains will be doing, they would not accept "I don't know" as an answer.

This is one thing you really need to understand about passengers. If I have to explain how they view us in as simple a term as possible... They think we're The Borg. They think we have a hive mind that always knows what everyone else is doing.

There was also at least one person who was confused when we pulled in at Fulton Street and asked if there were no A's... because he didn't consider the A was fine and we were the ones who had the problem,

youre 100% right, we may be starting from scratch again because of....yknow 

4 hours ago, DaVon said:

We’re all ready for the challenges that go with being a train conductor. The job can’t be all that bad. I have family members that’s been working with MTA for 30 plus years, as train operator, retired 2 years ago, a family member who is an electrician with MTA, 2 currently working as train conductors…I’ve not heard any complaints. I guess every job has its ups and downs. But, we newbies and prospective newbies are up for the challenge. 

keep that positive attitude, itll make a world of difference down here

9 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

It's very similar up in surface. Not uncommon to be asked when the next bus is/will arrive or what the current headways are. It's not like I can whip my phone out and pull up an APP that can help estimate a bus' given location on a map, but too many can't be bothered with tapping on a screen to do anything else but send messages and make phone calls...

10 hours ago, DJ33 said:

Roger that sounds good brother I appreciate your insight. How long was it from when you were cleared for medical to when you started for your 1st day yesterday? Also what hours was training yesterday and today? 

So they emailed me to come on march 22nd for the medical and in that same email stated that there’s a class on April 10th. That’s about 2 1/2 weeks. So the first day was orientation from 8am - 4pm. You’re literally just sitting there listening to them introduce you to everything in regards to the job. Things you probably haven’t even heard about. The second day was also 8am - 4pm and it was about the union. You’ll have a lot of union representatives talking to you about what they represent and what you benefit from it. There’s also a part where you meet with some of your supervisors where they give you your metro card pass. They also tell you to have those boots and no backpacks. There’s also another part where you meet the vice president for the union and they explain more about your job and how they can help you in certain situations like if your supervisor is giving you problems. Now today is supposed to be climbing the train. That’s 3pm-11pm. That’s all the info I have so far.

12 minutes ago, goliver28 said:

So they emailed me to come on march 22nd for the medical and in that same email stated that there’s a class on April 10th. That’s about 2 1/2 weeks. So the first day was orientation from 8am - 4pm. You’re literally just sitting there listening to them introduce you to everything in regards to the job. Things you probably haven’t even heard about. The second day was also 8am - 4pm and it was about the union. You’ll have a lot of union representatives talking to you about what they represent and what you benefit from it. There’s also a part where you meet with some of your supervisors where they give you your metro card pass. They also tell you to have those boots and no backpacks. There’s also another part where you meet the vice president for the union and they explain more about your job and how they can help you in certain situations like if your supervisor is giving you problems. Now today is supposed to be climbing the train. That’s 3pm-11pm. That’s all the info I have so far.

There's a thread elsewhere on here called "the schoolcar experience". You may want to update it with your stories as you go 👌 - When you get split into classes, you should get schedules for what you'll be doing and where and when the next two months. Don't wear restrictive clothing for train climbing. Ladies may want to buy men's work pants.

Edited by Milano

7 hours ago, Milano said:

There's a thread elsewhere on here called "the schoolcar experience". You may want to update it with your stories as you go 👌 - When you get split into classes, you should get schedules for what you'll be doing and where and when the next two months. Don't wear restrictive clothing for train climbing. Ladies may want to buy men's work pants.

Is the first week of training a full weekm Or they giving us that Thursday and Friday thru the weekend off ? after learning what division we are in !!🤔 need like a day or two to turn in all the medical insurance stuff lol that travel to coney Island is real 😅 ps 248

4 minutes ago, Immortal11 said:

Is the first week of training a full weekm Or they giving us that Thursday and Friday thru the weekend off ? after learning what division we are in !!🤔 need like a day or two to turn in all the medical insurance stuff lol that travel to coney Island is real 😅 ps 248

You've got 90 days to worry about the medical insurance stuff.

Once you're in, you're in. They don't typically take breaks or holidays for school. And expect to see a lot of Coney Island Yard if you're B division and PS248. 🤠

Edited by Milano

7 minutes ago, solidsnakeslug03 said:

Whats the chances of landing B division? Is that closer to Brooklyn?

Somebody will have the numbers. So I can't answer the chances because I didn't look... But generally yes. B division is the letter trains. A division is the number trains.  The A will definitely have you up in the Bronx more often. 

11 hours ago, Immortal11 said:

You only get off on days 248 is closed and those days will be made up, because the school has effectively moved your RDOs for that week.

for example, my class had a three day weekend because the school was closed for July 4th, which was Monday last year. They did this by making us SM RDOs for that week, meaning I was posting on the L on a Saturday.

On 4/12/2023 at 1:21 AM, Milano said:

I typed it in but this thread is the only one that pops up 

On 4/8/2023 at 9:12 PM, Harlem said:

I have two questions. Any help will be appreciated: 

- Has anyone lived in upper Manhattan and worked in the B Division? Did they attempt to keep you close to home while you were XX? Was it difficult? I'm asking because I'd prefer to pick the B Division next week. 

- Do conductors in the B Division usually get to pick a job faster than conductors in the A Division. There are more lines in the B and thus more conductors but that may not mean seniority moves more quickly in the B than the A. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

The name of the game is “Get Out from Under the Grips of the Crew Office ASAP”

Expect to be called on board at Stillwell and you live in Inwood to only pick up a job at Bedford Park. When the bid comes out as Johnny (or Jane) No Time it’s your best bet if you can’t pick a job. Even when I pick a job I might roll the dice on a bid if I see something better. People pick in and bid out of jobs. Look out for “Temp Vacancies” as you can pick one off the bid, get awarded the job, celebrate that you’re no longer at the Crew Office’s mercy, work one day and the person resumes. If you’re okay just have a regular job; even if it’s for a week.  It’s still better than being under the thumb of the Crew Office.  Understand the Crew Office their job is to fill jobs. Not to care too much about preferences. It’s not totally right, nor should be a rite of passage, but it sucks, but does allow you to learn the ins and outs of the road. Gives you a better idea of where you want to pick when it’s time. 

As far as your second question about seniority I moved up about 500 spots in six months, but there were a lot of retirees, promotions (I’m sure demotions too) and resignations that led to me moving up. It really boils down to what the current temperature is in regards to other promotional tests calling while you’re on the job and who is in front of you.