Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Josue said:

Good Afternoon everybody,

Yesterday I have received my letter from the MTA to take the OPA Test. I wanted to find out how was the test who have taking this examination and how long the process will take to get into the MTA? 

Asked and answered 632 times.. Read through his thread and you'll get all the answers you seek 👌

Edited by Milano

25 minutes ago, Josue said:

Yesterday I have received my letter from the MTA to take the OPA Test. I wanted to find out how was the test who have taking this examination and how long the process will take to get into the MTA? 

I received the letter yesterday as well. Honestly at this point, if your list number is around mine which is 10XXX, there is a very small chance you will be reached. The cynic in me think they're just still doing this just to grab the $25 you have to pay them to do the OPA.

The going hiring rate seems to be about 50 people for every 500 applicants. Last hired is standing in the 7XXX range. And there's probably about a 120 conductors left to be hired with the April 10th class now inducted. I'd be very surprised if they even reach past 10000.

38 minutes ago, Josue said:

gonna be the one to say this, but with how late youre taking the OPA, focus your efforts on the next OC conductor exam, whats your list #?

3 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I received the letter yesterday as well. Honestly at this point, if your list number is around mine which is 10XXX, there is a very small chance you will be reached. The cynic in me think they're just still doing this just to grab the $25 you have to pay them to do the OPA.

The going hiring rate seems to be about 50 people for every 500 applicants. Last hired is standing in the 7XXX range. And there's probably about a 120 conductors left to be hired with the April 10th class now inducted. I'd be very surprised if they even reach past 10000.

ill be surprised if they go past 8000

2 hours ago, DaVon said:

@Josue I took my OPA 2/2023 and I’m still waiting for the next step. My list number is 86xx. Based on some of the responses, it takes anywhere from 5 to 6 months after the OPA to be called in for the next process. 

That would be correct. I took the OPA Sept,15 2022 & Pre-emplyment March, 22 2023. Now waiting for medical, which they told me would be anywhere from 3 days to 3 months. List#77xx

19 minutes ago, Andrebx39 said:

I received a letter to take the OPA on 4/18 what are my chances to be hired before the lists ends and is transit still offering the cleaner position to people that likely won’t be hired before this list is done.

whats your list #?

And no they are no longer canvassing for cleaner from this exam

@Andrebx39 I would suggest just taking it and seeing what happens. You lose nothing but 25 dollars by going. If you can afford it, go for it. You gain experience of the process and who knows maybe they get your number, don't listen to the gatekeepers and get discouraged. Worst case scenario theirs also another exam coming soon, gives you a leg up for the next one.

1 hour ago, Jamie said:

@Andrebx39 I would suggest just taking it and seeing what happens. You lose nothing but 25 dollars by going. If you can afford it, go for it. You gain experience of the process and who knows maybe they get your number, don't listen to the gatekeepers and get discouraged. Worst case scenario theirs also another exam coming soon, gives you a leg up for the next one.

I agree.  I just doubt the list number was in the 890,000 range 🤣

I got the letter for my OPA. I have a wedding the same week outside of the country. If I were to reschedule my OPA, will I get put back on the civil service list? Should I cancel my trip? Exams Unit is no help via e-mail and very vague. I'm stuck as what to do and do not want to miss this opportunity. Thank you. 

2 minutes ago, adelv said:

I got the letter for my OPA. I have a wedding the same week outside of the country. If I were to reschedule my OPA, will I get put back on the civil service list? Should I cancel my trip? Exams Unit is no help via e-mail and very vague. I'm stuck as what to do and do not want to miss this opportunity. Thank you. 

If you read the earlier posts, I would highly recommend that you just reschedule the OPA and not cancel your trip. The OPA does not guarantee that you'll even make it to the drug test.

There will be another open competitive exam for conductor on June 1st.

Edited by Jericho

50 minutes ago, adelv said:

Don't reschedule.  You probably won't get called for pre-employment for at least 6 months anyway.

@Andrebx39 hoping you went to take the OPA. Also, when I reached out to the exams unit inquiring about them calling from our exam 6601; the  list numbers 12,000 and above, they explained that it’s because they know MTA will not reach those numbers. Not understanding that logic. Because for us who have lower list numbers, we should’ve been afforded the same opportunity. The offering to work as transit cleaner should’ve gone in list number order. Because if MTA expires the list before getting to the lower list numbers, I would say that’s going to be an issue that they skipped over the lower list numbers to offer people transit cleaner positions with higher list numbers.

Edited by DaVon
Meant to go to different person

39 minutes ago, DaVon said:

@Andrebx39 hoping you went to take the OPA. Also, when I reached out to the exams unit inquiring about them calling from our exam 6601; the  list numbers 12,000 and above, they explained that it’s because they know MTA will not reach those numbers. Not understanding that logic. Because for us who have lower list numbers, we should’ve been afforded the same opportunity. The offering to work as transit cleaner should’ve gone in list number order. Because if MTA expires the list before getting to the lower list numbers, I would say that’s going to be an issue that they skipped over the lower list numbers to offer people transit cleaner positions with higher list numbers.

It's an offer, none of those people had to take the position. MTA's job is to fill open positions, not care if you went cleaner or conductor.

I don't know how they pick and choose but the regular hiring for cleaner was a lottery 

4 minutes ago, adelv said:

So, you’re saying that I should cancel my trip??? What are the chances they will call me? I’m 11###

Call up and see how fast you can reschedule before you make a decision. If they can give you something the day you come back or something like that, or earlier go for it. But if they're not going to bring you in for the OPA for three more months, that might be an issue.