College before MTA

MysteriousBtrain

Since this is my last year in HS, I need some ideas about where to go to college at, since even if I do the test, they may not accept me right away. I want to be an MTA conductor or driver at the moment. Anyone knows what courses I should be majoring in so I could get the jobs I want.

I know that if I work in the subway, I'd have to take some engineering classes, but I don't know what type of engineering I should be taking.

Any help with what college and courses I should take is appreciated.

If you're seriously considering the C/O or T/O position... just apply when there's an open competitive exam. A college degree is NOT necessary for either of the aforementioned positions, as far as I'm aware, so if you're absolutely sure that's what you want to do, then do not waste $40K a year for 4 years to study in college and get a degree that will not make you any more competitive for those positions than you already are. In fact, both of those positions place more emphasis on hands-on job experience in positions that qualify as customer service (food service, kiosk, etc), so you're better off finding a job like that and working for several years to build up that credential.

If you're seriously considering the C/O or T/O position... just apply when there's an open competitive exam. A college degree is NOT necessary for either of the aforementioned positions, as far as I'm aware, so if you're absolutely sure that's what you want to do, then do not waste $40K a year for 4 years to study in college and get a degree that will not make you any more competitive for those positions than you already are. In fact, both of those positions place more emphasis on hands-on job experience in positions that qualify as customer service (food service, kiosk, etc), so you're better off finding a job like that and working for several years to build up that credential.

So basically, what you are saying is that I'm better off not going to college and working after hs? So the people training me will teach me everything I need to know, even what to do when a train is unoperational?

So basically, what you are saying is that I'm better off not going to college and working after hs? So the people training me will teach me everything I need to know, even what to do when a train is unoperational?

From reading the second post a few times, yes, that is correct.

However, since I hold a graduate degree myself, let me ask you a few questions:

-How are your grades from high school? Good? Bad?

-If you did go to college, offhand, what schools do you think you would be applying to? If your grades are not that great, have you thought about a community college?

-Have you thought about majoring in engineering?

I am not expecting you to reply to this public topic with these answers, however let me tell you about my story, without going into too many details:

I graduated from high school in June of 2007. As the son of a second generation NYC Transit worker, one night I had a conversation with my parents about what I wanted to be when I grow up (this took place in middle school). I was weighing the options of either becoming a mathematics teacher or working for NYC Transit. My parents persuaded me to become a teacher, especially since my father had a small tantrum at the time about working for NYC Transit (it's a bad habit which runs in the family). So with that said, since I did not get into Queens College, I went to Molloy College to earn my B.A. in Mathematics. I did not major in education, like I was hoping to, since I was unsuccessful in the first phase of their education program (my GPA was too low).

Since that did not work out, fortunately I was still able to graduate with the B.A. in mathematics. When I was in my senior year during my undergrad studies, I chose to apply to the Transportation Planning and Engineering Program at NYU's Polytechnic School of Engineering with the hope of becoming a third generation NYC Transit worker. While in grad school, I applied to some NYC Transit internships. I was able to get an interview, but I was not able to get the position.

With all of that said, if I was you, like you said, I would look into majoring in an engineering program. You can view the list of programs here. As far as what specific type of engineering, I would personally meet with either the Admissions Counselor, some of the current students and/or Faculty and take it from there. You just have to get a 'gut' feeling. Now, if your high school grades are too low for admission, you can always go to another college, get your associates degree and take it from there.

The reason why I am recommending this is for several reasons:

a) To answer your question.

b) Even if filing for the Train Operator position opens this December, they are going to require five {5} years of full-time work experience, four of them can be substituted for an undergrad degree.

c) According to this, in April of 2016, you can apply for the Civil Engineering Intern position, and according to the old Notice of Examination, you need a Bachelor's Degree in the appropriate field to apply. This will help you to at least, get your foot in the door, start building your pension, etc.

Questions? Feel free to send me a private message (PM), or post them to this topic.

Civil engineering is another major that delves into transportation. You have to be very good at mathematics and physics.

How are you in these two subjects? My undergrad degree in Math definitely helped me with my Master's Degree, and I did not take physics in high school nor in undergrad.

-How are your grades from high school? Good? Bad?

Well these are the ACT/SAT scores and my GPA from last year:20150924_232236_zps2zhvcbsk.jpg

Last year, by the beginning of summer vacation, I got 90+ in all classes, including Physics/Chemistry, Algebra II, and US history.

-If you did go to college, offhand, what schools do you think you would be applying to? If your grades are not that great, have you thought about a community college?

I took a little course in Philosophy in Hostos for half a school year. Also, every year in HS, we take a field trip to a SUNY/CUNY college. So far, I went to CSI, Fairfield, and another one in Nassau whose name I forgot.

-Have you thought about majoring in engineering?

I have, but the question is which ones should I major in. Civil seems like the one I could use most...

The links you gave me, when I get the chance, I will take a look at them, perhaps with my advisors, and see what it's all about because I've been busy all day and the advisors may understand them better than me.

If being a Conductor or Train Operator is what you're goal is take the open competitive when they come out and take the job if and when offered.

I would never advise anyone not to seek higher education however with the Transit Authority it's not required for an open competitive or even a promotional position.

Once promoted to a supervisory position such as TSS (Train Service Supervisor) (which is no more then a written test) from conductor or Train Operator and complete one year probation the Transit Authority will pay for college and tell you which courses they want. Doing it this way increases your chances of moving higher up.

In my 23 years here, to me, this way makes the most sense.

After you complete probation, 1 year minimum, you are eligible for a promotion.

Normally a degree is irrelevant into the first level of supervision.

There is always the chance however that the person before you on a promotion list for supervisor is not well liked and they use your degree as reason to skip over them using the "1 in 3" rule.

Take it from someone that deals in the real world.

Once you've worked your first job, no one gives a s*** about your grades or your GPA anymore. It's just a fact.

If you're going for supervision (TSS, Dispatcher) a degree does not matter.

It may help you if you intend to go for superintendent, but I'm going to say this and I mean it and everyone reading this better get it in their head good: If you're reading this thinking about going to superintendent and you don't even work here yet...GET HIRED AND LEARN THE JOB FIRST before you get the ambitions going. There are far too many people being promoted who don't know how to get things done as it is. A degree won't save you if you don't know the job of the Train Operator, Tower Operator, Dispatcher, Conductor, Trackman, etc. Learn as much as you can, don't just go for the title and be a know-nothing. And a degree in civil engineering or transportation management, doesn't mean you know a damn thing about how NYCT works...until you start down here and learn how it works.

Thanks to everyone that helped. What I plan to do at the moment is apply to a community college so that way I am ready to take the position asap and still get some form of college work done. At the moment, it looks like I'ĺl just be in college to pass some time until I get that position.

Once you've worked your first job, no one gives a s*** about your grades or your GPA anymore. It's just a fact.

I agree 100%, most employers just care about whether you have the degree or not. The only time your GPA will come into play is if you decide to go back for a graduate degree, your Ph.D, etc.

Mysterious, that's not 100% true. At least for Track dept.

You have two trackmen who became mailmenand are now General Superintendents.

You also have a HUGE amount of interns who started as superintendents and are now maintenance officers and assistants chiefs.

One Track worker went to level 1 skipping the two before him. The two skipped filed a grievance claiming nepotism since the new supervisors Dad was General Superintendent. The reason justifying for the skip (1 in 3) was that he had a bachelors degree.

I've seen a lot more then that in my time in TA.

As I stated earlier a degree initially is off no use. Once you begin to move up too supervision whatever degree you may have can and will be useful. Industrial psychology is considered a valuable field of study. It goes with any department.

The TA is a funny place and each department is it's own entity with its own set of rules.

Some departments you can know nothing and move up as long as you know how to give a managers answer and dump something on the person under you.

Other departments it might matter if you actually know your job.

Either way a college education can't hurt. You never know where you'll be years to come.

Archived