Fare prepayment? (To speed up boarding - not SBS)

aemoreira81

At certain busy stops, bus stops can suffer from long dwell times, or there are many routes that converge at a major hub area (i.e., near Flushing-Main Street, downtown Brooklyn, and Jamaica, Queens). What I am proposing here is to have payment machines outside where one must pay before boarding, but then dip in the ticket into the farebox. The idea is that this will make trips faster and improve boarding at chokepoints.

Your thoughts?

I think its a great idea, but we should just wait till the New Payment technology comes out, so people can scan it entering the back or front door. I was surprised how efficient it is in San Francisco, where you can board from any door. But the problem is, Fare invasion will go up.

I think its a great idea, but we should just wait till the New Payment technology comes out, so people can scan it entering the back or front door. I was surprised how efficient it is in San Francisco, where you can board from any door. But the problem is, Fare invasion will go up.

Agreed 100%.  I also don't like the whole wasting of paper.  The whole idea of public transit is to be friendly on the environment.  Having all of that paper wasted is completely counterproductive.  Such a service would be better when a new payment technology exists which doesn't involve the use of any paper.

Why would you make a whole pre-payment system just to have to dip a ticket? That defeats the purpose. I think SBS style pre-payment should be used at pretty much all stops, even if it increases fare beating. I'm sick of huge lines that back up buses

Agreed 100%.  I also don't like the whole wasting of paper.  The whole idea of public transit is to be friendly on the environment.  Having all of that paper wasted is completely counterproductive.  Such a service would be better when a new payment technology exists which doesn't involve the use of any paper.

One time during rush hour at M86SBS Broadway Machine only had 1/3 SBS MetroCard Machine working, so all passegers had to line up to get a ticket.

Agree with others -- wait for the Oyster-based touch system.

If nothing is done, though, about on-time performance, even the no-dip system won't help in reality.  It's a nice band-aid (like SBS) but that's about it -- it creates the perception of efficiency and ends there if you honestly look at it.

Archived