Looking for suggestions on where to Railfan or Busfan in Philly

Ghostface Brown

Hey guys, I have a lot of money and time on me right now so I'm planning on taking a day trip to Philly and checking it out since I never been there before, and try to see if it's as bad as people tell me it is myself. So can anybody give me some suggestions on what train or bus routes that stay in good neighborhoods for the most part that I might like fanning over there and getting me back to Brooklyn before Midnight? Thanks a lot in advance for your suggestions.

There are 3 good central places. Suburban station, 30th st station, and market east station. I would also recomend riding a few stops out on the (SEPTA) lines, but be careful as some of the stations are in gang territory.

If you need more info on (SEPTA) stations just ask here & can answer.

- A

Thanks again man. I was, and still am kinda iffy abbout this after seeing that guy get beat with a hammer for no apparent reason on the subway there.

Great place to go when you've got a lot of money; the mugger might wind up sending you a thank you card.

Just go, you'll be fine. Although the subway is a bit seedy (try to stay out of West & North Philly,) the regional rail trains are perfectly safe.

Hey guys, I have a lot of money and time on me right now so I'm planning on taking a day trip to Philly and checking it out since I never been there before, and try to see if it's as bad as people tell me it is myself. So can anybody give me some suggestions on what train or bus routes that stay in good neighborhoods for the most part that I might like fanning over there and getting me back to Brooklyn before Midnight? Thanks a lot in advance for your suggestions.

Hello, Be sure to ride the high speed PATCO line from Center City ( downtown) to the other end of the line in Lindenwold New Jersey ( via the Ben Franklin Bridge). This is a semi automated line and an absolute MUST when railfaning in Philadelphia.It's a;safe,clean,fast,and efficient ride.If you don't get to ride this train you'll really be missing something.

Hello, Be sure to ride the high speed PATCO line from Center City ( downtown) to the other end of the line in Lindenwold New Jersey ( via the Ben Franklin Bridge). This is a semi automated line and an absolute MUST when railfaning in Philadelphia.It's a;safe,clean,fast,and efficient ride.If you don't get to ride this train you'll really be missing something.

Not only that, but you can take RiverLINE back to trenton if you're coming from that direction. :P

- A

Not only that, but you can take RiverLINE back to trenton if you're coming from that direction. :P

- A

Or take the :nec: to Trenton, switch to the River Line and then take PATCO into Philly.

Should one spend the time and money on riding the PCC-IIs and Trackless Trolleys? If one wants to ride LRVs in the streets (NJT)'s northern LRTs both feature some street running.

Great place to go when you've got a lot of money; the mugger might wind up sending you a thank you card.

Just go, you'll be fine. Although the subway is a bit seedy (try to stay out of West & North Philly,) the regional rail trains are perfectly safe.

Lol thanks for suggestions man. I think that I am going to try to fan the regional rail, specifically the R6 Cynwyd, R7 Trenton, and/or the R8 Fox Chase.

Thanks for the suggestion man, but I'm not sure about PATCO as it ends in Camden which is the most, or second most dangerous city in America if I recall correctly.

Or take the :nec: to Trenton, switch to the River Line and then take PATCO into Philly.

Should one spend the time and money on riding the PCC-IIs and Trackless Trolleys? If one wants to ride LRVs in the streets (NJT)'s northern LRTs both feature some street running.

Thanks for the suggestion man. What decently safe lines do the PCC-II streetcars run on? I wanted to ride those badly when they were still on the Newark subway, but never had a chance to.

Thanks for the suggestion man. What decently safe lines do the PCC-II streetcars run on? I wanted to ride those badly when they were still on the Newark subway, but never had a chance to.

The PCC-IIs are all on the 15, provided SEPTA isn't bustituting it.

Lol thanks for suggestions man. I think that I am going to try to fan the regional rail, specifically the R6 Cynwyd, R7 Trenton, and/or the R8 Fox Chase.

Thanks for the suggestion man, but I'm not sure about PATCO as it ends in Camden which is the most, or second most dangerous city in America if I recall correctly.

That's incorrect information... Patco goes directly over the bridge and ends in Center City at 15th Street and Locust. True it passes thorugh Camden at one station for the hospital/Aquarium but not a problem. It's worth riding so go for it.....

To the ghost faceman. Patco doesn't end in Camden at all.Yes it stops at the 'City Hall' station in Camden but if you stay on the train then there will be no problem with that. Patco goes all the way to Center City and ends at 15th Street and Locust. Go for it and you'll really enjo yand say it was worth the trip afterwards.It's definetly something NOT to be missed.It's like a cross between the LIRR and a subway line; but automated and/or manually operated system

Just so you know the (R)(6) Cynwyd (formerly Ivy Ridge) runs a very odd schedule. It was until recently (SEPTA)'s version of (NJT)'s :pvl:. The R3 West Trenton is more of a better thing to do.

Also you might want to buy your SEPTA tickets and passes online and have then sent to you before traveling. Most RRD Stations are unmanned and they charge a higher on-board fare anyway. You can get the R7 tickets from (NJT) at NYP and save some time at Trenton unless you're heading for the River Line and PATCO.

Plus with PATCO, there is a RFW with a seat, so instead of standing at the RFW, you could have a seat! Just remember to take your farecard with you since you will need it to exit.

Also check out the Broad Street line express. Their trains run at faster speeds than the New York City Subway

The PCC-IIs are all on the 15, provided SEPTA isn't bustituting it.

Alright thanks a lot for the info again man. I don't think I'm going to take a chance with that though unless it would be bustituted with trackless trolleys which I've never ridden on before.

The transportation center has police 24 hours a day & is actually safe.

Also try the R3 line that ends in west trenton, lots of interesting views!

- A

Alright thanks a lot for the info again man. The R3 will most definitely be one of the routes that I fan when I go there.

Just so you know the (R)(6) Cynwyd (formerly Ivy Ridge) runs a very odd schedule. It was until recently (SEPTA)'s version of (NJT)'s :pvl:. The R3 West Trenton is more of a better thing to do.

Also you might want to buy your SEPTA tickets and passes online and have then sent to you before traveling. Most RRD Stations are unmanned and they charge a higher on-board fare anyway. You can get the R7 tickets from (NJT) at NYP and save some time at Trenton unless you're heading for the River Line and PATCO.

So I can take the R6 to Cynwyd during the PM Rush, but have to take alternative transportation going back? If that's so, I'll have to cross that off my list of routes to fan, it looks like a very short branch anyways like the New Canaan Branch which I didn't really like.

Can I but New Jersey Transit Northeast Corridor tickets at 30th Street? I was planning on trying the Acela Express' First Class service on the way there and the SEPTA/NJT/PATH combo back.

To the ghost faceman. Patco doesn't end in Camden at all.Yes it stops at the 'City Hall' station in Camden but if you stay on the train then there will be no problem with that. Patco goes all the way to Center City and ends at 15th Street and Locust. Go for it and you'll really enjo yand say it was worth the trip afterwards.It's definetly something NOT to be missed.It's like a cross between the LIRR and a subway line; but automated and/or manually operated system

Alright thanks a lot for the info again man. I think I'll most definitely fan it now, especially since I read on Wikipedia about how it has the railfan seat.

So I can take the R6 to Cynwyd during the PM Rush, but have to take alternative transportation going back? If that's so, I'll have to cross that off my list of routes to fan, it looks like a very short branch anyways like the New Canaan Branch which I didn't really like.

Can I but New Jersey Transit Northeast Corridor tickets at 30th Street? I was planning on trying the Acela Express' First Class service on the way there and the SEPTA/NJT/PATH combo back.

R6 Cynwyd: There are two options: you can "yo-yo" the line (go to Cynwyd and come back, no transfers); or you can take the R6 to Bala, take the 65 bus to Overbrook station, then take the R5 back to Center City. Note: touring this line is not recommended due to infrequent service (and no weekend service).

NJT sells SEPTA tickets from certain TVMs. Both NYP and Newark TVMs should be able to sell SEPTA tickets. If you change the station codes around, you can get a SEPTA-NWK/NYP ticket while you wait for the Acela.

Cool thing to do:

NJT NEC line to Trenton, RiverLINE to Walter Rand Trans. Center in Camden, PATCO into Philly, Broad Street Subway, ride the 15, Market-Frankfort Line, then the 101 line, freesytle with buses between major points and then end the day with the R7 to NJT at Trenton then off to NY from there.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I just wanted to post up the itinerary that I have so far and see what you guys think about it:

8:10AM Amtrak Northeast Regional Train 185 to 30th Street Station (Business Class Baby!)

10:20AM R6 Norristown train to the Norris Transportation Center

11:20AM Route 100 to 69th Street Terminal

12:00PM Route 101 to Orange Street in Media

1:05PM R3 West Trenton to Clifton-Aidan

1:30PM Route 102 to Sharon Hill

1:40PM Route 102 to 69th Street Terminal

Well I'm planning to take a trip to Philly on the 27th.

So my itinerary is:

-PATH from WTC to Newark Penn Station(I live in Lower Manhattan, so the walk won't trouble me at all)

-NJT :nec: to Trenton

-NJT Riverline from Trenton to Walter Rand

-PATCO from Broadway City Hall to 8th Street

It will be about $13.60.

I am not sure about intra-Philly. But here are my picks:

-Ridge Street Spur from 8th Street to Fern Rock. Then express line to 15th Street. MFL to 69th Street. Route 100 to Norristown. R6 to 30th Street. Subway Surface lines to Juniper, MFL to Girard. Route 15 (the heritage trolley) to Broad. Local to Pattison, back up to 15th Street.

Hey guys, I just wanted to post up the itinerary that I have so far and see what you guys think about it:

8:10AM Amtrak Northeast Regional Train 185 to 30th Street Station (Business Class Baby!)

10:20AM R6 Norristown train to the Norris Transportation Center

11:20AM Route 100 to 69th Street Terminal

12:00PM Route 101 to Orange Street in Media

1:05PM R3 West Trenton to Clifton-Aidan

1:30PM Route 102 to Sharon Hill

1:40PM Route 102 to 69th Street Terminal

Ok for a start, but not enough diversity. You are also missing the Market Frankford and Broad Street lines, the subway surface lines, and even PATCO too!

Archived