ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, trackerjack said:

isn't it only 1-2$ difference?  does those add up even after taxes?

Every dollar counts. $40 a week for 52 weeks is $2080. In the end, unless they give out switching/yard jobs like candy, you should get top pay before going to work trains which you need two years in title beforehand anyway.

12 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

As of this week I have graduated schoolcar and I'm now officially an XX train operator. Thank you to everybody on this forum for the help. 

Welcome to the greatest show on earth. Enjoy the good days, read your supplements and GOs, and find your favourite lines and bid for them. :-)

On 7/6/2022 at 4:25 PM, trackerjack said:

is work trains fun / easier?  or does it have its own annoyances?  work trains sounds amazing....no customers.....no worries over running a station!!

I posted in work trains while XX due to a potential shortage of work train motormen, and honestly, I *really* wasn't fond of it, but I tell people that are interested to try it out for a pick. The diesels are slow and much harder to operate (hint: 25 mph other than head car operation with no dynamic braking and two diesel freight friction brakes), some days you're working super hard for long hours, you're exposed to the elements at the extremes, and it's just as easy to "mess up" as on the road. OTOH, there's lots of money, some days are quiet, and it's a good way to prep for being a TSS. AM work trains is mostly day time GOs and yard work to prep for the PM and weekend GOs during the week, PM and AM weekend work trains is GOs.

Let's just say that I have lots of respect for the men and women of 36/38th Street and Westchester Yards.

On 7/6/2022 at 7:16 PM, mimic101 said:

I'm in Queens and was placed in the A division.  My commute time is usually 1hr 40min to 2 hr to the Bronx yards then the same for going home.  In total around 4 hours of commuting each day.  It's honestly brutal.  The training it self doesn't make me tired, it's the commuting.  Every day I think about quitting. 

However, I tell myself that if I do make it out of school car that I'll move to somewhere in the Bronx.  I'm not sure if that is a good idea, but I'm sure that I'll have to report to the Brooklyn and Queens locations for jobs.  I honestly have no idea what to do, but I know that I cannot keep up this commute for long. 

FWIW, once I was done with schoolcar, I was MID for a bit and PMs for XX. As a Long Island person that's seen both divisions, Stillwell and the Bronx are almost equally far away to me, so it's a bit of a wash, and honestly moving is no guarantee that you'll see the Bronx. You may end up seeing Brooklyn rather frequently to fill out the senior man jobs at the Brooklyn end of the network. 

I generally drove, so 60-90 minutes to go to work, 30 to 45 min to come back home. The only exception was a few jobs on the 7, or the 1.5 trip jobs that no longer exist on the 2. If you don't drive, it's much harder, and I've seen a few co-workers pay for Uber as a shortcut on their commutes to make things work.

Whats good people. I received an email to come in for PE on Monday but I just went out of town and I wont be back for at 2 weeks. Is there anyone that I can contact to reschedule? I didn't have the time to look through the previous threads to see if this question was asked before so my apologies if it was. List # 1xxx. Thanks.

Can anyone please help me understand why I’m getting an email to do Pre-Employment again? I did pre- employment back in April and am being sent back to do it again. I know they say the results only last 90 days (so maybe that’s why) but my 90 days aren’t up yet until the 19th of this month. I just don’t want to be stuck waiting again because that’s not fair. 

Just now, Nique1112 said:

Can anyone please help me understand why I’m getting an email to do Pre-Employment again? I did pre- employment back in April and am being sent back to do it again. I know they say the results only last 90 days (so maybe that’s why) but my 90 days aren’t up yet until the 19th of this month. I just don’t want to be stuck waiting again because that’s not fair. 

Same

1 minute ago, Nique1112 said:

I guess they want to extend it another 90 days which I’d say is a good sign 

@Nique1112 if Yu read the forums from months back because I believe I read ALL OF THEM from page 1 lol you would see that a lot of others went for P/E 2-3 times before they were hired so I wouldn’t worry to much about that email. My advice is to just go again and give them the same paperwork. That’s what I’m going to do if I end up in that situation. 

15 hours ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

FWIW, once I was done with schoolcar, I was MID for a bit and PMs for XX. As a Long Island person that's seen both divisions, Stillwell and the Bronx are almost equally far away to me, so it's a bit of a wash, and honestly moving is no guarantee that you'll see the Bronx. You may end up seeing Brooklyn rather frequently to fill out the senior man jobs at the Brooklyn end of the network. 

I generally drove, so 60-90 minutes to go to work, 30 to 45 min to come back home. The only exception was a few jobs on the 7, or the 1.5 trip jobs that no longer exist on the 2. If you don't drive, it's much harder, and I've seen a few co-workers pay for Uber as a shortcut on their commutes to make things work.

Yeah Uber is one I am also considering.  I really didn't think of the being in Brooklyn to fill out the senior man jobs.  With the price of gas I was looking at getting a hybrid of some sort. 

I don't know what to do really because I am in a tough spot with being located in the Bronx.  I suppose I could try and look for a place that is half distance between the Bronx and Brooklyn. 

23 hours ago, beanz said:

You don't have to wait to finish schoolcar to apply for the parking permit. I did it way before i finished.

22 hours ago, Chris8 said:

You can apply for the parking permit during school car, mine came pretty quick. There are also some yards that'll let you park inside without showing your permit, just need to show your pass.

Gotcha.  I wonder which yards those are because it would be so much easier for me to drive to the Brooklyn and Flushing yards. 

20 hours ago, mimic101 said:

Gotcha.  I wonder which yards those are because it would be so much easier for me to drive to the Brooklyn and Flushing yards. 

Pitkin, Concourse, and Coney Island allow you with just the pass. Jamaica used to but I heard you need a permit now. 

edit: sorry I just realized you are A division

Edited by FilippoSironi

I received an email to come in for the pre employment Tuesday. After reading this forum people have stated you cannot have pending moving violations. I have a speeding ticket pending from2017 and cell phone ticket pending from 2020. If I pay them by Monday I will receive 9 points on my license. Can having so many points on my license disqualify me for the position? I would hate to plead guilty and then not qualify for the position. Has Anyone  been through this or knows someone who had this many points during the hiring process? 

@Reign from reading all forums from the past the points don’t matter. As long as it’s no open violations that aren’t paid. Being a T/O the points wouldn’t affect that maybe a B/O. So you have no worries as long as they are paid. What that being said so do you mind me asking what is your list # ? 34** 45** ? 

7 minutes ago, TCart said:

@Reign from reading all forums from the past the points don’t matter. As long as it’s no open violations that aren’t paid. Being a T/O the points wouldn’t affect that maybe a B/O. So you have no worries as long as they are paid. What that being said so do you mind me asking what is your list # ? 34** 45** ? 

Thank you, I guess I’ll pay it tonight! My list number is 40** low.