ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

34 minutes ago, mimic101 said:

As someone going through schoolcar this is so demoralizing to hear.  It sounds like they just beat you down. 

I'm not in school car yet but reading these things make me glad I've taking other civil service exams that have started sending out canvas letters so I have a backup.  Starting pay isn't as good but after 4 years its 6 figures,  starting hrs 9 to 5 and weekends off.

Ill start with the MTA but idk if I'll stay long term if I'm traveling on a daily basis 3+ hrs each way with little sleep.

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

Facts. I hate the line, "We all went through it."

The hell we did. There are people down here who picked on probation, so that's straight cap.

And the idea that we should just suck it up, buttercup, is horrid. They'll say wanting time with friends and family is not paying your dues and juat being too individualistic.

But leisure and recovery time is a crucial part of one's mental health. How can I properly operate a train when I'm too worn out from not giving my brain time to recover and see those who make me happy and are my support?

It's amazing, man.

That’s why my leave balance is right at the threshold before they disqualify me for promotions.

We all have lives, and I made sure I had time for my mental health and family when I was XX.

Dont be afraid to just straight up call out if you’re exhausted. They have intimidation tactics the crew office like to use, but who cares? If you’re falling asleep while operating, it could cause even more troubles than being put on sick control. Pay your dues, yes, but don’t pay in blood (not unless that’s what you want).

Edit: Disclaimer - Be very careful with booking off when you’re on probation. You still need to make sure you have the job fully first.

Edited by Jay-Oh

10 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

That’s why my leave balance is right at the threshold before they disqualify me for promotions.

We all have lives, and I made sure I had time for my mental health and family when I was XX.

Dont be afraid to just straight up call out if you’re exhausted. They have intimidation tactics the crew office like to use, but who cares? If you’re falling asleep while operating, it could cause even more troubles than being put on sick control. Pay your dues, yes, but don’t pay in blood (not unless that’s what you want).

Edit: Disclaimer - Be very careful with booking off when you’re on probation. You still need to make sure you have the job fully first.

What is the threshold where they disqualify you for promotions? What intimidation tactics does the crew use? I feel like if you call out they make you pay the next time they control your fate

2 minutes ago, thegameksk said:

What is the threshold where they disqualify you for promotions? What intimidation tactics does the crew use? I feel like if you call out they make you pay the next time they control your fate

You can't have less than half of your sick time left in the bank. We get 12 sick days a year, lets say you've been here 3 years that would amount to 36 sick days you should have. As long as you don't have less than half aka less than 18 days then you're good, if you have anything below 18 is when they can mess with you when or if you take a promotional exam.

Just now, thegameksk said:

Would that even do anything? They would just fire everyone no?

getting fired might be a good thing.  i have been fired from a job i had after college, it hit me hard, but it actually opened doors for me to an even better job, more pay, and much much better environment.  one door closes the other opens is the saying?  but Transit.....on the other hand. oh boy.  i'm still new so.....i'm waiting for it show me it can actually be better.  doesn't seem like it  :(  the crew office really really plays dirty.  i mean.....changing tours is just mental and physical torture wouldnt u agree?

4 hours ago, mimic101 said:

Honestly man, I hope that my real life doesn't begin when I retire.  It would be so easy to come home, sit down, consume garbage food and watch whatever show on a streaming device.  Wake up, go to work, do the same thing over again.  Before you know it, you're just as overweight and obese as the rest of these transit workers that I've been seeing a lot of.  I am determined not to let transit take over my life or let that happen to me. 

I remember one guy on here was talking about taking his gym bag to work and heading there immediately after work.  I do the exact same thing.  As I'll be XX things will suck, but I'm not giving into to that kind of garbage life style and punishing my body because of decisions that I make in regards to my health.

My Real life as in traveling more than I do already,not worrying about going to work after my vacation especially a damn good one .. You misunderstood what I meant.. Oh as in shape I’m 6’4 235 lbs at 52 if that’s not in shape I don’t know what is.. I’m good you do what works best for you what’s working for me now is excellent.. Four more years  and this place won’t be a issue I could care less what happens …

Edited by RTOMan

1 hour ago, trackerjack said:

getting fired might be a good thing.  i have been fired from a job i had after college, it hit me hard, but it actually opened doors for me to an even better job, more pay, and much much better environment.  one door closes the other opens is the saying?  but Transit.....on the other hand. oh boy.  i'm still new so.....i'm waiting for it show me it can actually be better.  doesn't seem like it  :(  the crew office really really plays dirty.  i mean.....changing tours is just mental and physical torture wouldnt u agree?

Yes I agree but you do make a good point.  Maybe if people banded together things would change especially in the current workers environment most workers are less willing to deal with things like this.  This isn't precovid days anymore.

11 hours ago, thegameksk said:

How long will this temp bid last for? After it ends can you rebid or will the crew decide your fate?

Whenever that person comes back or if they don't come back until the end of the pick. Then I go back to XX. They told me there is another bid sheet coming out this pick. I don't when that is. 

Edited by FilippoSironi

8 hours ago, Schecter said:

They legit do, you can live in the bronx and they'll have you start and clear at far rockaway or anywhere else that isn't close to your house. The way that they talk to people can make you feel very small. Knowing you can't say anything back to them because they'll screw you over more makes you mentally exhausted.

Damn man.  I don't even know what to say to this.  During probation we're suppose to get 12 hours off between shifts, but after probation it's 8 hours right?  If you live in the Bronx and you're starting and clearing at Far Rock you're losing at least 4 hours due to commuting time alone.  Then you sleep for just a few hours, wake up, head back? That's crazy.

1 hour ago, mimic101 said:

Damn man.  I don't even know what to say to this.  During probation we're suppose to get 12 hours off between shifts, but after probation it's 8 hours right?  If you live in the Bronx and you're starting and clearing at Far Rock you're losing at least 4 hours due to commuting time alone.  Then you sleep for just a few hours, wake up, head back? That's crazy.

12 hours between jobs as XX, 10 hours as XL, 8 hours with a picked job.

With that said, there's a reason why so many of us drive whenever possible or in a few cases, use Uber as the shortcut.

2 hours ago, mimic101 said:

I live in the Bronx and reported and cleared at far rock just once. Stillwell maybe 4 or 5 times. If u in the B and live in the Bronx u are in better shape than most because the Bronx and uptown Manhattan usually has open jobs and most of the B division lives in Brooklyn queens and long island. Don't let our stories scare u, experience it for yourself. If it's too much, then i we would all understand but don't just take people's words for it. Some have it better than others.

1 hour ago, beanz said:

I live in the Bronx and reported and cleared at far rock just once. Stillwell maybe 4 or 5 times. If u in the B and live in the Bronx u are in better shape than most because the Bronx and uptown Manhattan usually has open jobs and most of the B division lives in Brooklyn queens and long island. Don't let our stories scare u, experience it for yourself. If it's too much, then i we would all understand but don't just take people's words for it. Some have it better than others.

You got that right some do, not hating on that game its cool..

Yet i never concerned myself with what others do..

I just do what i do.

Edited by RTOMan

8 hours ago, trackerjack said:

btw why the whole class quit? was it cuz of their TSS's?  it must have been something huge to cause an entire TA/TB class to go Buh BYE

Probably aren't ready for the long term commitment..

Its a commitment but if they got something better lined up i say go for it.

12 hours ago, Schecter said:

You can't have less than half of your sick time left in the bank. We get 12 sick days a year, lets say you've been here 3 years that would amount to 36 sick days you should have. As long as you don't have less than half aka less than 18 days then you're good, if you have anything below 18 is when they can mess with you when or if you take a promotional exam.

I heard this as well, but have never seen it in writing. Obviously you don’t want to look crazy out here trying to get a promotion and you’re never at work for your regular assignment, but I know more than 5 T/O’s (2 from this exam and 3 from that last one) that did not have half their sick days and they got promoted. Now I also heard of T/Os getting turned down for dispatcher because of this, but honestly it’s on a case by case basis. Transit does what transit wants to do. Everyone knows the crew office has their ways down here, but for everyone in school car, that has nothing to do with you right now. Focus on them exams and getting use to operating. You don’t need to worry yourselves with more unnecessary stress. There was a jump in our seniority by 500+! People are still being promoted/retiring. When it’s time to pick sorry about that stuff then. Check out the vacancy bid. It’s so many ways around this place, that you don’t get turned into one of these zombies always speaking negative about the job, but STILL HERE! And that’s no shot at anyone here I’m talking bout the 20 year folks

26 minutes ago, Imhim said:

I heard this as well, but have never seen it in writing. Obviously you don’t want to look crazy out here trying to get a promotion and you’re never at work for your regular assignment, but I know more than 5 T/O’s (2 from this exam and 3 from that last one) that did not have half their sick days and they got promoted. Now I also heard of T/Os getting turned down for dispatcher because of this, but honestly it’s on a case by case basis. Transit does what transit wants to do. Everyone knows the crew office has their ways down here, but for everyone in school car, that has nothing to do with you right now. Focus on them exams and getting use to operating. You don’t need to worry yourselves with more unnecessary stress. There was a jump in our seniority by 500+! People are still being promoted/retiring. When it’s time to pick sorry about that stuff then. Check out the vacancy bid. It’s so many ways around this place, that you don’t get turned into one of these zombies always speaking negative about the job, but STILL HERE! And that’s no shot at anyone here I’m talking bout the 20 year folks

So true you hear blather number  of  ppl complaining and they been on the job 20+ yrs. I’ve concluded they are just complainers. You really have to make the best of the cards your dealt. Work the system and you’ll be alright it really isn’t that horrible of job. Gets stressful here and there but what job doesnt.

35 minutes ago, Imhim said:

Easy now some of us 20 year folks are good people don't be fooled by some...

Us off the street folks paved the way for a lot of yall...

What we went through is nothing compared to the easy way most of yall got it now Crew Office changing our days off, our tours, being just damn nasty on the phone to the point where you wanted to wait for one of them after they are done.

I had to cancel four mini vacations because of them changing my days off but i stuck it out because i knew down the line it will work out...

It didn't jade us either i think most of us is willing to  teach anyone whos willing to listen because there want many folks who did not want to teach US..

Now if one is a know it all then we let 248 or Labor Relations have a go at it...

Edited by RTOMan

6 hours ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

12 hours between jobs as XX, 10 hours as XL, 8 hours with a picked job.

With that said, there's a reason why so many of us drive whenever possible or in a few cases, use Uber as the shortcut.

Since I've been out I've spent a lot of money on Uber...I could drive but they never send me to the yards and they give me a lot of jobs with deadhead, finishing at a different location. So my car and parking permit have been useless to me so far 🤣 

I have a question can someone help me please. I got sent the P/E email May 24th to come In for June 3rd to start the P/E Process. Today I received the SAME email to come for July 26. The exact same email. Can anyone explain what this is ? Is it medical or is it just the exact same thing? This is within 90 days from June 3rd I’m so confused. What to do ? Go in with the same information on July 26 ? 

7 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Easy now some of us 20 year folks are good people don't be fooled by some...

Us off the street folks paved the way for a lot of yall...

What we went through is nothing compared to the easy way most of yall got it now Crew Office changing our days off, our tours, being just damn nasty on the phone to the point where you wanted to wait for one of them after they are done.

I had to cancel four mini vacations because of them changing my days off but i stuck it out because i knew down the line it will work out...

It didn't jade us either i think most of us is willing to  teach anyone whos willing to listen because there want many folks who did not want to teach US..

Now if one is a know it all then we let 248 or Labor Relations have a go at it...

OG I never said all of the 20 year folks are bad, I said the ones that are always complaining but can’t explain why they still here! You always speak positive vibes, so trust I’m not coming for you at all, you definitely been responding here before I started and been on ya post, very much appreciated! 

On 7/15/2022 at 11:56 AM, FilippoSironi said:

Since I've been out I've spent a lot of money on Uber...I could drive but they never send me to the yards and they give me a lot of jobs with deadhead, finishing at a different location. So my car and parking permit have been useless to me so far 🤣 

Have you been taking Uber everyday?