ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

1 hour ago, Kabr79 said:

First off congrats! Second, don’t be nervous. Just fill out the paperwork. Anything you need help with, just mark it and they can help you out. It’s not that big of a deal. You’ll get there… and waiting will be involved lol. But then once you hand everything in and they process it. They’ll call you in, tell you when class starts, where to order your boots and what to expect on the job, then you get your pass pic taken and you go. It shouldn’t be as long a day as medical and pre employment. 

Oh ok nice. So after this final part Monday I go back in again to get sworn in if everything is ok?

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Amonroe90 said:

So first off, as of 9:44am I’ve been sworn in and I’m now an official MTA Employee, assigned as train operator. Reporting to Brooklyn P.S 248 12/26 at 7am. 

second, make sure everything is filled out. It’s hard to say don’t be nervous, but sitting down there today after waiting for 4 years to line up a job with MTA, I was a mess. Just breathe, relax and take it one step at a time. Make sure you have a postal money order for your finger prints $88.25 to be exact. They will not take a bank check or money order. It has to be a postal money order. Anything pending with your driver license take care of it NOW! And when she present you paperwork double check EVERYTHING. Looked at my paperwork they said I needed prescription glasses, now mind you I’ve done a vision exam, was told that my vision was good, and I was medically qualified. So out of nowhere you’re gonna tell me I need glasses ??? Yeh Okey. If you never and I mean NEVER needed glasses before but your paperwork says otherwise, and the sups tell you that you’re out of uniform that’s going to cause problems. So make sure your paperwork is all good and I mean look everything over. 

and finally, for those that are still waiting, and it’s hard considering that we been waiting forever, just be patient, your call is coming soon !!! Keep ya heads up. 

hope to see some of y’all on the 26th !!!! 

Congratulations!!!

11 hours ago, goaldigga310 said:

Oh ok nice. So after this final part Monday I go back in again to get sworn in if everything is ok?

You’ll get sworn in on Monday if everything is ok. After that your next stop will be PS 248, MTA learning center, on December 26th 😎

7 hours ago, Nyhoneydip said:

My list number is 527x and I'm still waiting to hear back to take my medical. I took my first drug test 9/21

That’s crazy because my list # is 55xx and I did my 1st drug test on 9/19 and am still waiting also to hear back for my medical ! How is it that they be skipping like that ? Why did I take it before you ? If your list # is 527x ??  Still waiting !! 

1 minute ago, Fedrali360 said:

That’s crazy because my list # is 55xx and I did my 1st drug test on 9/19 and am still waiting also to hear back for my medical ! How is it that they be skipping like that ? Why did I take it before you ? If your list # is 527x ??  Still waiting !! 

I heard that some ppl that declined the offer at first due to personal reasons can still stay on the list and when they are ready to start the process mta will move their paperwork ahead..idk how true that is but that's what i heard..my first appointment was on 9/8 but i had to go back due to my social and birth certificate not matching on 9/21 and that was the last time i was there 

17 minutes ago, Fedrali360 said:

It looks like more than anything that they are up to 52XX with medical.

With your list number chances are you will still be waiting awhile. The particular day you take the drug test means nothing since they usually drug test a huge pool of people as their standard practice. You may find yourself taking a second or third drug test before you're called in for medical.

8 hours ago, Jericho said:

It looks like more than anything that they are up to 52XX with medical.

With your list number chances are you will still be waiting awhile. The particular day you take the drug test means nothing since they usually drug test a huge pool of people as their standard practice. You may find yourself taking a second or third drug test before you're called in for medical.

I don't mind taking 100 drug tests i just want to go and do my medical lol i hope they call me soon every day I'm checking my emails and it drives me crazy 

1 hour ago, Amonroe90 said:

I’m about to order my boots. Any recommendations, especially for people with wide feet ?

I found the Wolverines and the Rockports were the most comfortable. 
Rockports have a more durable shell vs the Wolverines, especially walking in the yards - the wolverines will get scratched up something fierce by the ballasts. 

So I’d say Rockports, though I have heard good things about the Avengers. Avoid the Caterpillars, since they changed the model we can order; it’s super heavy compared to the others. 

1 hour ago, Jay-Oh said:

I found the Wolverines and the Rockports were the most comfortable. 
Rockports have a more durable shell vs the Wolverines, especially walking in the yards - the wolverines will get scratched up something fierce by the ballasts. 

So I’d say Rockports, though I have heard good things about the Avengers. Avoid the Caterpillars, since they changed the model we can order; it’s super heavy compared to the others. 

What about timbs. Only reason why I ask is because I’ve been working EMS for 10 years and I’m used to wearing boots all the time. 

14 minutes ago, Amonroe90 said:

What about timbs. Only reason why I ask is because I’ve been working EMS for 10 years and I’m used to wearing boots all the time. 

I’ve received mixed reviews. Some people said they were great, others said they were horrible.

Hey folks, for those going into the December 26th class, and even for those with class in the future, figured I’d give some suggestions and what to expect  since I’ve already been through school car for conductor. None of this is absolute, but some may find it helpful. 
First off, consider getting a cheap watch if you have a smart watch. Watches are considered part of our PPE and they may give a hard time if you’re using a smart watch since technically we’re not supposed to use them while on duty. 
The uniform company sucks, so it may take a while to get your transit clothes. Dickie’s makes some great shirts that you can use in the meantime. Just make sure they’re gray. The transit pants, well they’re awful and I’ve never worn them in my time here. I go with navy Gap khakis made from the stretch fabric. Super comfy and great for climbing trains. And we will be climbing lots of trains. But go with whatever is comfortable for you. As long as they’re  dark navy. 
You’re gonna need a backpack with straps that can be hidden. Kaka Is a popular brand amongst these parts, but a simple search will turn up options. Maybe a second bag to carry books. We’re gonna get a bunch of books on top of our equipment so a secondary bag may be helpful if you don’t want to carry all that weight on your back. 
When we get separated into our smaller classes consider creating a WhatsApp group, or whatever text service you prefer. We used it in conductor school car and it was a great way to help each other out, and to stay in touch when we all were on the road and were experiencing the XX life. We still keep in touch and are close. 
Finally, think of school car like a boot camp. We’re gonna get flooded with information and it may seem overwhelming at first, but we go over everything ad nauseam. They’re gonna try to scare us, everything we do wrong will cost us our job blah blah. As long as you do what you’re supposed to you’ll be fine. They want us to pass and they’ll do their best to help us. We gotta put in the work.  School car is fun, but it’s work. 
Hope you all found this somewhat helpful. If anyone has questions feel free to ask, or DM me and I’ll help to the best of my ability. 

12 minutes ago, Kabr79 said:

Hey folks, for those going into the December 26th class, and even for those with class in the future, figured I’d give some suggestions and what to expect  since I’ve already been through school car for conductor. None of this is absolute, but some may find it helpful. 
First off, consider getting a cheap watch if you have a smart watch. Watches are considered part of our PPE and they may give a hard time if you’re using a smart watch since technically we’re not supposed to use them while on duty. 
The uniform company sucks, so it may take a while to get your transit clothes. Dickie’s makes some great shirts that you can use in the meantime. Just make sure they’re gray. The transit pants, well they’re awful and I’ve never worn them in my time here. I go with navy Gap khakis made from the stretch fabric. Super comfy and great for climbing trains. And we will be climbing lots of trains. But go with whatever is comfortable for you. As long as they’re  dark navy. 
You’re gonna need a backpack with straps that can be hidden. Kaka Is a popular brand amongst these parts, but a simple search will turn up options. Maybe a second bag to carry books. We’re gonna get a bunch of books on top of our equipment so a secondary bag may be helpful if you don’t want to carry all that weight on your back. 
When we get separated into our smaller classes consider creating a WhatsApp group, or whatever text service you prefer. We used it in conductor school car and it was a great way to help each other out, and to stay in touch when we all were on the road and were experiencing the XX life. We still keep in touch and are close. 
Finally, think of school car like a boot camp. We’re gonna get flooded with information and it may seem overwhelming at first, but we go over everything ad nauseam. They’re gonna try to scare us, everything we do wrong will cost us our job blah blah. As long as you do what you’re supposed to you’ll be fine. They want us to pass and they’ll do their best to help us. We gotta put in the work.  School car is fun, but it’s work. 
Hope you all found this somewhat helpful. If anyone has questions feel free to ask, or DM me and I’ll help to the best of my ability. 

They’ll give us our tools as well that day ? 

3 minutes ago, Amonroe90 said:

They’ll give us our tools as well that day ? 

I believe the first day we get all the books and the second all the tools. But it may all happen the first day. First day is basically a big introduction to Transit and the lifestyle. And be on time! They like to make an example of those who are late the first few days and make them write G2’s. 

35 minutes ago, Kabr79 said:

I believe the first day we get all the books and the second all the tools. But it may all happen the first day. First day is basically a big introduction to Transit and the lifestyle. And be on time! They like to make an example of those who are late the first few days and make them write G2’s. 

Now in regards of the Kaka backpacks, on the paper I received on Thursday, they said no backpacks or any bags with wheels on it. Now they can’t be serious if they expect us to not show up with backpacks and carry books and out tools needed for operation. So Will like a laptop bag work for the 26th ?

@Amonroe90 Kaka bags is fine. Me and several others had a Kaka bag from the first day at PS 248. You can take the straps off and carry it like a duffel bag. When you walk the tracks just carry it by the handle. Don’t complicate it you’ll be fine. The KaKa fits your books and a small lunch as well. You’ll get used to carrying it around. Some for 60 bucks some for 70-80 bucks. I got the 60 dollar one and it was perfect for school car

10 minutes ago, TCart said:

@Amonroe90 Kaka bags is fine. Me and several others had a Kaka bag from the first day at PS 248. You can take the straps off and carry it like a duffel bag. When you walk the tracks just carry it by the handle. Don’t complicate it you’ll be fine. The KaKa fits your books and a small lunch as well. You’ll get used to carrying it around. Some for 60 bucks some for 70-80 bucks. I got the 60 dollar one and it was perfect for school car

ill order one off Amazon this week ! 

3 hours ago, Kabr79 said:

Thank you so much! I paid off my out of town traffic ticket so i hope it doesn't come up i forgot about it. What you think?