ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Kabr79 said:

Hey folks, for those going into the December 26th class, and even for those with class in the future, figured I’d give some suggestions and what to expect  since I’ve already been through school car for conductor. None of this is absolute, but some may find it helpful. 
First off, consider getting a cheap watch if you have a smart watch. Watches are considered part of our PPE and they may give a hard time if you’re using a smart watch since technically we’re not supposed to use them while on duty. 
The uniform company sucks, so it may take a while to get your transit clothes. Dickie’s makes some great shirts that you can use in the meantime. Just make sure they’re gray. The transit pants, well they’re awful and I’ve never worn them in my time here. I go with navy Gap khakis made from the stretch fabric. Super comfy and great for climbing trains. And we will be climbing lots of trains. But go with whatever is comfortable for you. As long as they’re  dark navy. 
You’re gonna need a backpack with straps that can be hidden. Kaka Is a popular brand amongst these parts, but a simple search will turn up options. Maybe a second bag to carry books. We’re gonna get a bunch of books on top of our equipment so a secondary bag may be helpful if you don’t want to carry all that weight on your back. 
When we get separated into our smaller classes consider creating a WhatsApp group, or whatever text service you prefer. We used it in conductor school car and it was a great way to help each other out, and to stay in touch when we all were on the road and were experiencing the XX life. We still keep in touch and are close. 
Finally, think of school car like a boot camp. We’re gonna get flooded with information and it may seem overwhelming at first, but we go over everything ad nauseam. They’re gonna try to scare us, everything we do wrong will cost us our job blah blah. As long as you do what you’re supposed to you’ll be fine. They want us to pass and they’ll do their best to help us. We gotta put in the work.  School car is fun, but it’s work. 
Hope you all found this somewhat helpful. If anyone has questions feel free to ask, or DM me and I’ll help to the best of my ability. 

I have said that often here Keep in touch with ones classmates....

3 hours ago, RTOMan said:

I have said that often here Keep in touch with ones classmates....

Makes a huge difference. Especially if you’re completely new to Transit. Great to have a support system as you all go through the experience after school car. 

20 hours ago, Amonroe90 said:

Now in regards of the Kaka backpacks, on the paper I received on Thursday, they said no backpacks or any bags with wheels on it. Now they can’t be serious if they expect us to not show up with backpacks and carry books and out tools needed for operation. So Will like a laptop bag work for the 26th ?

They mean no backpack with wheels. Backpack are fine. Most people get Kaka bags (I did) cuz you can cover the straps. But you can have a regular backpack Just don't carry it on your back when crossing the tracks. 

On 12/11/2022 at 1:04 PM, TOSironi said:

They mean no backpack with wheels. Backpack are fine. Most people get Kaka bags (I did) cuz you can cover the straps. But you can have a regular backpack Just don't carry it on your back when crossing the tracks. 

So I just wanted to caution you and anybody else regarding interpretation of this rule.

I'm not going to tell you that you're wrong, because almost everybody has a backpack down here. However, it needs to be said; know the rules you're breaking. If a manager or supervisor were to give you trouble or approach you about your backpack when working the yard, and you want to argue about it....you don't really have any ground to stand on, because it's in writing.

Bulletin 102-21 states, in part:
"Bags must be carried by hand when entering the trackway (including yards). Carrying bags that are equipped with wheels or non-detachable shoulder straps on the trackway is prohibited (e.g. bags with wheels, backpacks, etc.). Bags with detachable shoulder straps must have the shoulder straps removed before carrying the bag onto the trackway."

Remember; bulletins supersede the rulebook.

That being said; it is a rule that is very loosely/infrequently enforced. Just be aware that it IS in writing and they COULD give you trouble about it, that's all I'm saying.

The kaka bag, which is a schoolcar staple, is very good for this because you can use it as a backpack and hide away the shoulder straps when it comes time to walk the tracks.

Edited by Jay-Oh

1 hour ago, goaldigga310 said:

Today I became a TO! I will be in the 12/26 Class!! Thank you for all the great advice and feedback through half this journey now let's ace this school car Class of 12/26!

Congratulations! Looking forward to meeting you in class! Let’s get this! 

26 minutes ago, goaldigga310 said:

Thank you likewise! Do we have to print all those pages they emailed us for orientation?

You can if you want to, it just explains all the benefits and stuff. You can also just download the pdf’s on your tablet so you can look along with them during the zoom meeting. Orientation isn’t done in person anymore since COVID. 

21 minutes ago, Kabr79 said:

You can if you want to, it just explains all the benefits and stuff. You can also just download the pdf’s on your tablet so you can look along with them during the zoom meeting. Orientation isn’t done in person anymore since COVID. 

Oh ok. What is the sworn in like i didnt have to eaise my right hand or anything just signed paperwork and was explained what next.

Hey everyone 👋 just finished final processing and finger printing today, confirmed start date for the 26th also. Congrats to everyone starting, good luck to anyone who hasn't heard back yet and thank you for those who have helped this far 🙏.

I look forward to meeting those of you who will be starting alongside me on the 26th. 

I wanted to ask if anyone knows what the first week will be like? From what I understand they said we go to Brooklyn in person the 26th and then a zoom orientation on Tuesday. 

It wasn't mentioned what will be following that, I assumed we would be finding out where and when to report to for Wednesday during Monday or the zoom orientation? 

Edited by Soilwork

8 minutes ago, goaldigga310 said:

Oh ok. What is the sworn in like i didnt have to eaise my right hand or anything just signed paperwork and was explained what next.

When I was sworn in for conductor I had to raise my hand and stuff, but they probably read you what they told me as well. As long as you signed that paper acknowledging the duties you’d have to uphold, that’s the swear in process. 

They were very informal with me since I already work here, so current experience is gonna differ from those of you fresh off the street.  

1 minute ago, Soilwork said:

Hey everyone 👋 just finished final processing and finger printing today, confirmed start date for the 26th also. Congrats to everyone starting, good luck to anyone who hasn't heard back yet and thank you for those who have helped this far 🙏.

I look forward to meeting those of you who we will be starting alongside me on the 26th. 

I wanted to ask if anyone knows what the first week will be like? From what I understand they said we go to Brooklyn in person the 26th and then a zoom orientation on Tuesday. 

It wasn't mentioned what will be following that, I assumed we would be finding out where and when to report to for Wednesday during Monday or the zoom orientation? 

Ok, so, yes first day is Ps 248 in Brooklyn. Get there on time, at 7am. They’re gonna explain what Transit life is like that first day. Give out the books and bulletins etc. maybe get tools… second day is Zoom and then the rest of the week we will be going back to PS 248. We’ll be picking, or getting picked, for the Division we want to work, A division number lines B Division letter lines. From there we’ll be split into our smaller class groups and then be governed by the TSS where to meet up after that first week. I believe they hand out a schedule, but I’m not 100% on that. 

59 minutes ago, GG917 said:

Hello, 

I’ve taken my drug test on for T/O on November 23 anyone knows what number they up to? I’m 61XX. I took a leave of absence from work thinking I would be called quickly for my Medical. 

Pre employment? If so the whole process could take three months or more. I did my first drug test 9/6 and didn’t get called for medical until Nov 23.  My file number is 51XX 

1 hour ago, GG917 said:

Hello, 

I’ve taken my drug test on for T/O on November 23 anyone knows what number they up to? I’m 61XX. I took a leave of absence from work thinking I would be called quickly for my Medical. 

61xx is a long way away.  i think they are up to 5400 to 5500 max
best humble advice?  please don't take leave of absense.  dont leave your job.....wait till you give transit a try.  u dont wanna ***(COMMENT CENSORED)***

2 hours ago, goaldigga310 said:

you raise your right hand and u repeat after the lady reading off her paper.
you can record it low key in video if you want - if you to save the loving memories of it, you can look back at the video during ur days of XX, or when you're bored on board.  
Just don't get caught, it'll look awkward.
She will also give you a blue book full of rules and regulations.  this is ur book to keep everyday and yes some (lame) dispatchers will check if u have it.

5 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

So I just wanted to caution you and anybody else regarding interpretation of this rule.

I'm not going to tell you that you're wrong, because almost everybody has a backpack down here. However, it needs to be said; know the rules you're breaking. If a manager or supervisor were to give you trouble or approach you about your backpack when working the yard, and you want to argue about it....you don't really have any ground to stand on, because it's in writing.

Bulletin 102-21 states, in part:
"Bags must be carried by hand when entering the trackway (including yards). Carrying bags that are equipped with wheels or non-detachable shoulder straps on the trackway is prohibited (e.g. bags with wheels, backpacks, etc.). Bags with detachable shoulder straps must have the shoulder straps removed before carrying the bag onto the trackway."

Remember; bulletins supersede the rulebook.

That being said; it is a rule that is very loosely/infrequently enforced. Just be aware that it IS in writing and they COULD give you trouble about it, that's all I'm saying.

The kaka bag, which is a schoolcar staple, is very good for this because you can use it as a backpack and hide away the shoulder straps when it comes time to walk the tracks.

I have the Kaka bag so I never had any problems. 

4 hours ago, Kabr79 said:

Ok, so, yes first day is Ps 248 in Brooklyn. Get there on time, at 7am. They’re gonna explain what Transit life is like that first day. Give out the books and bulletins etc. maybe get tools… second day is Zoom and then the rest of the week we will be going back to PS 248. We’ll be picking, or getting picked, for the Division we want to work, A division number lines B Division letter lines. From there we’ll be split into our smaller class groups and then be governed by the TSS where to meet up after that first week. I believe they hand out a schedule, but I’m not 100% on that. 

Thank you for clearing that up. Is there any flexibility of choice between A or B with the pick or is it pretty much whatever they choose for you? 

45 minutes ago, Soilwork said:

Thank you for clearing that up. Is there any flexibility of choice between A or B with the pick or is it pretty much whatever they choose for you? 

It depends on the need at the time. When I was going for conductor they got about halfway through the induction group with people choosing what they wanted and then the rest of us were put in the A. The A needed conductors so bad that the class the month before us has some groups drafted from the B into the A. So it can change even in the middle of school car. 

Edited by Kabr79