Metro North Rail Locomotive Engineer

The Saniter

5 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

They let me know they were conducting the background check. Pretty sure you sign a waiver letting them know, it's handled by an outside company too.

I see. Either things have changed from when I hired on to the railroad, or more likely the process is different for the Locomotive Engineer position because they didn't let me know they were conducting a background check nor did I have to sign a waiver the first time around. The background check being handled by a third party, I was aware of that because they contacted me to send some pay stubs in from a prior employer back in 2022.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Everyone, I know I'm a little late to this thread lol, Late being for the discussions chatting with you guys and for letting everyone know I got selected for the Loco Engineer Exam, I need to take it. A little bit about my background I used to be a Keolis Commuter Rail Conductor (AC) up in Boston MA and Im not ashamed to share but I got fired this past year for showing up late due to the fact I live with my GF in CT and had to drive 2-2-1/2 to my SU Locations but I had a job wasn't on the extra board so that kinda helped, I love the railroad still do to this day I regret what happened but It happened, I have a ton of connections with my Amtrak, Keolis Buddies and one MNR guy who help me and give me tips so doing the test and passing is literally a dream to me. Anyway With that being said I'm curious I don't know if anyone is still on this thread anymore but thought it might be helpful to ask what it like taking the exam for MNR? any pointers like; (is it multi-choice, what was your strategy to study and how did you pass the test, Etc. Thanks in advance any information is helpful (FYI My test is Dec,19, 2023) so good luck to all you guys/gals going to take the test. 

On 10/5/2023 at 1:39 PM, MarkGuy said:

So I'm  a current Train Operator with NYCT with almost 5 years in...just applied to the latest Engineer posting.

I love operating here at NYCT. But at the same time part of me wants a different challenge and I've wanted to say I operated a passenger locomotive.

Some things are better at Metro North. But I'm not liking the horrible vacation accumulation and 8 years to top pay. I suspect the sick time accumulation is also worse than at Transit.

And I have too many questions about the pension.

It's hard to say what I would do tbh.

This is literally the exact same thing I’m going through. I enjoy being a train operator for NYCTA but that pay cut I would be taking would be a bit of a setback for sure. Are there any former train operators turned locomotive engineer that can shed some light? Maybe DM me if you think a contractual raise / negotiation is imminent? I know ultimately it is up to me but having received the conditional offer at this point I’m really weighing all my options. How long until one can hold a job on the AM tour out of GCT?

3 hours ago, Greenovergreen said:

This is literally the exact same thing I’m going through. I enjoy being a train operator for NYCTA but that pay cut I would be taking would be a bit of a setback for sure. Are there any former train operators turned locomotive engineer that can shed some light? Maybe DM me if you think a contractual raise / negotiation is imminent? I know ultimately it is up to me but having received the conditional offer at this point I’m really weighing all my options. How long until one can hold a job on the AM tour out of GCT?

Hey, when did you take the test and how long did your background/interagency background check take? 

7 hours ago, Greenovergreen said:

Not a former T/O. Just currently in the LE program. A contract just failed to ratify as it was voted down so it’ll be at least another year until another contract pops up for a general body vote. We don’t rly refer to them as AM/PM tours just jobs. Grand Central Terminal is kinda senior for the most part, the really late night jobs are junior. The terminal doesn’t rly open up till 5:30AM and they pay you for 8 hours whenever you’re called even if you work less than that so you know most runs are 8 hours or a little over, expect to get out around 2-3PM if not later, depends how much swing time is built into the job. Some have a really long swing, some have very little, some have meal periods, some have no meals (which you get paid a penalty for). 

On 11/26/2023 at 10:13 PM, JoseRamirez2788 said:

Hey Everyone, I know I'm a little late to this thread lol, Late being for the discussions chatting with you guys and for letting everyone know I got selected for the Loco Engineer Exam, I need to take it. A little bit about my background I used to be a Keolis Commuter Rail Conductor (AC) up in Boston MA and Im not ashamed to share but I got fired this past year for showing up late due to the fact I live with my GF in CT and had to drive 2-2-1/2 to my SU Locations but I had a job wasn't on the extra board so that kinda helped, I love the railroad still do to this day I regret what happened but It happened, I have a ton of connections with my Amtrak, Keolis Buddies and one MNR guy who help me and give me tips so doing the test and passing is literally a dream to me. Anyway With that being said I'm curious I don't know if anyone is still on this thread anymore but thought it might be helpful to ask what it like taking the exam for MNR? any pointers like; (is it multi-choice, what was your strategy to study and how did you pass the test, Etc. Thanks in advance any information is helpful (FYI My test is Dec,19, 2023) so good luck to all you guys/gals going to take the test. 

Hey there 🖐🏾. Sorry to hear about your termination from Keolis/MBTA, s*it happens. Unfortunately, we can't change the past, we can only keep moving forward with the opportunities we're granted and make for ourselves. With that being said, should you pass the exam and get an interview that will be something they will ask you about.

To that end, even though I may not be the best authority on which to give advice since I've yet to complete the process myself, I have passed the exam and can throw a couple pointers your way of each section;

First off, the LE exam is currently a four section test (Attention, Mechanical Aptitude, Reading Comprehension, and Signals/Definitions). It is completely multiple choice and computerized.

The Attention Test tests your reaction time, short term memorization, and ability to respond to stimuli presented to you within a very short amount of time. In my opinion the hardest part of the exam.

Mechanical Aptitude tests your knowledge of functional/mechanics based physics. You can't really study for this section, either you know it or don't.

Reading Comprehension tests your ability to discern information given a short essay to read, analyze and subsequently answer a couple of questions. Be warned, if English is not your first language this section may be tricky as the questions will truly test your understanding of the passages; take your time and read each section multiple times over and as long as you don't drag *ss, you will be able to answer each question within the time limit.

Last section is the Signals and Definitions, quite frankly the only section you CAN study for as they give you the packet to study on your testing invitation. Also, depending on you study habits and ability to retain information possibly the easiest section.

After the test is complete you should get an email about a day later with either a pass or fail message. If pass, you wait for them to contact you for an interview (the part of the process where i'm at currently). If you fail, you must wait a calendar year to reapply for the position, but that shouldn't stop you from applying to other positions.

I've said alot, but I just wanted to be thorough in explaining each section of the test. Good luck to you and all who take it. From the people I have spoken to who have become engineers at MNR, it is worth every bit of time and energy spent studying and sacrificing to mark up, and I want nothing more than to see people who take the opportunity, achieve it. 👍🏾

• 2 months later...

I'm sure you know how "slow" the BSC is in time sensitive communication. I'm assuming you emailed them, I'd recommend calling them as you're more likely to receive a quicker response than emailing. They screwed quite a bit of people back when I took the exam in October. The BSC didn't send a whole bunch of candidates the LE Key responsibilities form in the invitation email and alot of guys didn't find out till the day of the test...

Edited by AfroG97

On 2/9/2024 at 4:08 PM, AfroG97 said:

I'm sure you know how "slow" the BSC is in time sensitive communication. I'm assuming you emailed them, I'd recommend calling them as you're more likely to receive a quicker response than emailing. They screwed quite a bit of people back when I took the exam in October. The BSC didn't send a whole bunch of candidates the LE Key responsibilities form in the invitation email and alot of guys didn't find out till the day of the test...

Yes; I tried email. I will try calling the MTA BSC tomorrow. Thanks.

Btw, is there anyone else on the forum who took the exam in October? Just had my interview today and HR Generalist and the Road Foremen who interviewed me are saying the next class is starting somewhere around June. Anyone else feeling like they might be apart of that class as well?

Edited by AfroG97

• 1 month later...

Just got called to take the Metro North Locomotive Engineers test and from what I read in this forum it says the test is about 5 hour. The email I received said the test is an hour have things changed for testing for the job  just curious if anybody knows anything would appreciate it 

Thxs

51 minutes ago, Belvin555 said:

Just got called to take the Metro North Locomotive Engineers test and from what I read in this forum it says the test is about 5 hour. The email I received said the test is an hour have things changed for testing for the job  just curious if anybody knows anything would appreciate it 

Thxs

If you’re fast and you know the material, you’ll definitely be out by the hour if not 2. 

28 minutes ago, Belvin555 said:

Do you know what type of test they give you 

thxs 

How about reading the last couple of pages on this thread and if you have anymore questions I'll be more than happy to answer them. 

Belvin, it's a computerized test with four sections, I made a post on this thread a couple of months ago detailing the four sections on it. Don't worry to much about how much time you will have for the test, each section has it's own time limit and quite frankly you will have more than enough time to complete each section imo.

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys i took the test for locomotive engineer back in November. I passed it and finally received a call now for an interview via zoom. She scheduled me for may 21st. just wanted to know if anyone could give me a heads up on what type of questions the ask or if there is anything i can prepare for.

15 hours ago, RJP1998 said:

hey guys i took the test for locomotive engineer back in November. I passed it and finally received a call now for an interview via zoom. She scheduled me for may 21st. just wanted to know if anyone could give me a heads up on what type of questions the ask or if there is anything i can prepare for.

Congrats RJP. The interview will be in a panel format where you'll have a couple of road foremen and/or training officers in addition to your HR recruiter who will all sit in via Microsoft Teams (You said zoom, but I'm assuming it's actually Microsoft Teams since my interview was held on Teams as well). In any case, you want to thoroughly go over the LE Job Description as the panel will ask you what the responsibilities of a Locomotive Engineer are. You don't have to remember it verbatim, but it is in your best interest to be able to recite all of the functions and responsibilities of the job. Second, They will ask WHY do you want to be an Engineer at MNR and they will ask WHAT skills do you have from prior jobs that make you a good candidate. If you have a history of safety sensitive jobs be sure to mention them, I can not emphasize enough SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY is crucial when answering questions so be sure to mention the importance of maintaining train safety and the safety of the crew and ground employees whenever you can. They will also ask you of a time where you had to successfully multitask so be prepared.

Note, there a couple of scenario based questions in where you are asked to make decisions on the fly. Again take into account maintaining safety and remember the safety of persons along the right of way supersede train timeliness or any events that happen onboard the train (take a REAL good note of this) . Finally, do not forget to ask questions at the end of the interview as it shows the panel that you are truly interested and are eager to proceed with the process. Overall it is a fairly straightforward interview and as long as you don't psyche yourself out you will do just fine. Good luck!

Edited by AfroG97