Metro North Rail Locomotive Engineer

The Saniter

13 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Yes and no...I've had minor incidents where nothing really happened to me. Though the other side of what you said also has some truth.

If I hear correct, it's 10 years for 4 weeks vacay. If so, then we have you guys beat bc I have that already.

You get 3 days for a fatality. You can go out IOD for trauma for that here.

For vacation, if I heard correctly, I believe it's 2 weeks for the first 5 years and then they add another week every 5 years for a maximum of 5 weeks of vacation time so it's about the same as you guys. 

We fall under railroad retirement which is sorta hard to explain so I'll link the presentation: http://arsa.mnrr.org/doc/MTA_definedPensionPlan.pdf

Begins at slide 12.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

For vacation, if I heard correctly, I believe it's 2 weeks for the first 5 years and then they add another week every 5 years for a maximum of 5 weeks of vacation time so it's about the same as you guys. 

We fall under railroad retirement which is sorta hard to explain so I'll link the presentation: http://arsa.mnrr.org/doc/MTA_definedPensionPlan.pdf

Begins at slide 12.

No I'm aware it's the same amount, but wr accrue much sooner than MNR.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 3:32 PM, AfroG97 said:

Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm an internal candidate that will be taking the exam being held on October 26th. Did anyone receive the Locomotive Engineer Key Responsibilities form, because I didn't (unless i'm not looking in the right places 🤔).

I only got the test guide and nothing else

3 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

It's at the bottom of the employment application form that was emailed to you with the test confirmation when you replied back to the initial email. 

Yeah i double checked i got nothing. I already told them i will be attending. and i see nothing on jobvite. yeah i only got the study guide. *shrug

On 10/24/2023 at 10:09 PM, misslo said:

Yeah i double checked i got nothing. I already told them i will be attending. and i see nothing on jobvite. yeah i only got the study guide. *shrug

Apparently, the BSC dropped the ball on getting some invitees the Application form, myself included. I just took the test today and I actually emailed them a couple weeks back, and they sent to it to me. Email the BSCtesting @ and tell them they didn't send you the packet, because a couple people in my class today were in that predicament.

To that end, that test was something. The attention test caught me off guard. The mechanical aptitude was basically common sense and general physics, I felt pretty good about that. The reading comp was word salad but as long as you take your time, questions are quite easy to answer. If you studied your signals and definitions, that is by far the easiest part of the test as it was for me. All in all, I felt pretty good about it.

On 10/5/2023 at 1:39 PM, MarkGuy said:

So I'm  a current Train Operator with NYCT with almost 5 years in...just applied to the latest Engineer posting.

I love operating here at NYCT. But at the same time part of me wants a different challenge and I've wanted to say I operated a passenger locomotive.

Some things are better at Metro North. But I'm not liking the horrible vacation accumulation and 8 years to top pay. I suspect the sick time accumulation is also worse than at Transit.

And I have too many questions about the pension.

It's hard to say what I would do tbh.

I had several T/O’s and conductors from NYCT in my Conductor Class. The environment is much, much, much better.

1 hour ago, AfroG97 said:

To that end, that test was something. The attention test caught me off guard. The mechanical aptitude was basically common sense and general physics, I felt pretty good about that. The reading comp was word salad but as long as you take your time, questions are quite easy to answer. If you studied your signals and definitions, that is by far the easiest part of the test as it was for me. All in all, I felt pretty good about it.

You should know your results by today or tomorrow. Keep an eye on your phone because they might be moving quick to schedule an interview. 

On 10/26/2023 at 1:12 PM, AfroG97 said:

Apparently, the BSC dropped the ball on getting some invitees the Application form, myself included. I just took the test today and I actually emailed them a couple weeks back, and they sent to it to me. Email the BSCtesting @ and tell them they didn't send you the packet, because a couple people in my class today were in that predicament.

Yeah they didnt send it. Luckily when I went in for the exam, I saw what the application looked like. Its the same for the cleaning position. So they told me to email it today.

4 minutes ago, AfroG97 said:

The email was sent from Metro-North Railroad Recruiting Team. I believe the emails are not all being sent out at the same time, but don't quote me on it.

if you don't mind me asking. if you go to your mta careers page, what does the status show for you at this point? referring to where you can see your applications and the status of them

27 minutes ago, Chris92229 said:

if you don't mind me asking. if you go to your mta careers page, what does the status show for you at this point? referring to where you can see your applications and the status of them

It still says "in process". When you apply it says "applied". This annoying, I don't want to wait all weekend for the results.

Hello, for anyone who went in to take the test I have a question. When you go in they give you a packet and say to study that for the interview if anyone could please send me photos of that packet as I have have lost mine and have an interview coming up. I would greatly appreciate it. Please message me 

13 hours ago, fmoreno said:

Hey, were you ever called back for a background check or an interview?

No, I only received the email stating that they will eventually schedule me for a personal interview and a PAT. Based on what I know of the railroad already, they WILL NOT tell you that they're conducting a background check, they will ONLY send you correspondence once they've completed the background check process to schedule your interview (Or if you have a red flag in your background check that they'd like you to address). This background check process takes anywhere from a couple days to a couple months.

When I applied to MNR as a custodian back in August 2021, it took me two months (October 2021) for the railroad to call me for the custodian test. After I successfully passed that test, it took another 4 months (February 2022) to get an Interview date. Considering the interview and physical/drug testing, I didn't hire on until April 2022. A process that took 8 months total which was relatively quick by MNR standards, so expect to do a lot of waiting, just be patient and don't stress it out too much.

The hardest part of this process was passing that test, and I am under the assumption that you did.

6 hours ago, AfroG97 said:

No, I only received the email stating that they will eventually schedule me for a personal interview and a PAT. Based on what I know of the railroad already, they WILL NOT tell you that they're conducting a background check, they will ONLY send you correspondence once they've completed the background check process to schedule your interview (Or if you have a red flag in your background check that they'd like you to address). This background check process takes anywhere from a couple days to a couple months.

When I applied to MNR as a custodian back in August 2021, it took me two months (October 2021) for the railroad to call me for the custodian test. After I successfully passed that test, it took another 4 months (February 2022) to get an Interview date. Considering the interview and physical/drug testing, I didn't hire on until April 2022. A process that took 8 months total which was relatively quick by MNR standards, so expect to do a lot of waiting, just be patient and don't stress it out too much.

The hardest part of this process was passing that test, and I am under the assumption that you did.

They let me know they were conducting the background check. Pretty sure you sign a waiver letting them know, it's handled by an outside company too.

10 hours ago, AfroG97 said:

Wow! And, yes, I did pass, I was told the same day I took the test. Thank you for responding.