Metro North Rail Locomotive Engineer

The Saniter

On 5/2/2023 at 11:42 PM, Jayblilz said:

I’m so surprised that no one has replied to this msg. I’m waiting for the answer myself. 

On 3/11/2023 at 2:10 PM, mooseinthecaboose said:

i have the upcoming MetroNorth exam / interview.  please tell me if was Multiple Choice and not verbatim?? :(

what is ya'll take on jumping over to Metro North if given the opportunity?  I am in Subways now. is Metro North much better than NYCTA??  and yes RTO sucks down there.....really bad

It’s absolutely a better job, I don’t really want to discuss in detail the pay rate(which should be posted on the initial job app), pension, and other benefits MNRR offers vs transit, just know they are all better.

Many have left transit (which is a great job in its own right) for greener pastures at MNR and LIRR, I do not know of a single person who has or would go to transit from the Railroad. Plenty of B/Os and T/OS are being hired into the conductor and engineer program at MNR

Please ask any engineer, conductor in person and let them know you are from transit and I’m sure they’ll gladly share the information. I am sure it sucks starting all over on the seniority roster but at least your pension time comes over.

Edited by NycHopeful718

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/18/2023 at 4:17 PM, kev2112 said:

Hello all. I just got the email inviting me to take the test and  I answered it of course. Any idea when they get back to me with a date and time for the test? Anything I can study beforehand? Thanks for any info

As soon as I emailed them back I got the confirmation email with date and time about a couple of hours later that same day. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, kev2112 said:

Just received the study materials for the engineer test on 9/12. Does anyone know if the test is multiple choice or fill in?

Multiple choice. Expect reading comprehension, signals and definitions (the only thing you can really study for), mechanical aptitude questions and attention span section.

3 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

It’s not really questions per se but it’s a section with various exercises testing your attention span. All keyboard-based. Test is graded pass/fail and you’ll receive your results that day or the next.

Thanks for the information. I’ve been studying my head off. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AfroG97 said:

Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm an internal candidate that will be taking the exam being held on October 26th. Did anyone receive the Locomotive Engineer Key Responsibilities form, because I didn't (unless i'm not looking in the right places 🤔).

Should be on the back of the job application. I think it's the very last page?

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm  a current Train Operator with NYCT with almost 5 years in...just applied to the latest Engineer posting.

I love operating here at NYCT. But at the same time part of me wants a different challenge and I've wanted to say I operated a passenger locomotive.

Some things are better at Metro North. But I'm not liking the horrible vacation accumulation and 8 years to top pay. I suspect the sick time accumulation is also worse than at Transit.

And I have too many questions about the pension.

It's hard to say what I would do tbh.

1 hour ago, MarkGuy said:

So I'm  a current Train Operator with NYCT with almost 5 years in...just applied to the latest Engineer posting.

I love operating here at NYCT. But at the same time part of me wants a different challenge and I've wanted to say I operated a passenger locomotive.

Some things are better at Metro North. But I'm not liking the horrible vacation accumulation and 8 years to top pay. I suspect the sick time accumulation is also worse than at Transit.

And I have too many questions about the pension.

It's hard to say what I would do tbh.

I have three T/O’s from subways in my class. They all say that the environment is better here and management loves to pin everything on you in RTO regardless of your fault. Not sure how the vacation compares nor sick time but I think we’re relatively reasonable. Overall, I think they agreed the pension here is better.

One thing I did hear is subways gives you a year off if you hit someone if you request it. Here, it’s usually 3 days off and then back to work unless you make a good case to EAP.

5 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

I have three T/O’s from subways in my class. They all say that the environment is better here and management loves to pin everything on you in RTO regardless of your fault. Not sure how the vacation compares nor sick time but I think we’re relatively reasonable. Overall, I think they agreed the pension here is better.

One thing I did hear is subways gives you a year off if you hit someone if you request it. Here, it’s usually 3 days off and then back to work unless you make a good case to EAP.

Yes and no...I've had minor incidents where nothing really happened to me. Though the other side of what you said also has some truth.

If I hear correct, it's 10 years for 4 weeks vacay. If so, then we have you guys beat bc I have that already.

You get 3 days for a fatality. You can go out IOD for trauma for that here.